The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

When we were looking at estate agent leaflets for our first house purchase I noticed that the house we eventually viewed and bought had a primrose coloued bathroom. I mentioned to Aditi that I didn’t really like pink bathrooms. She quickly made me aware of my error. The main bathroom in this house is a classic early nineties colour “misty pink”. Sometimes known as whisper pink, probably in Germany. 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Our “champagne” colour en-suite started to fall through the floor into the garage so it all got replaced with white (once the floor was replaced). 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I used Google to see what were popular colours for bathrooms in the US. Yellow is apparently “on trend”. Aditi told me that avocado green is making a return in the UK.

I can assure you that the walls of my downstairs bathroom (like much of the house) are a boring beige with white trim.

Canary yellow with white trim was a big kitchen trend some years back. One of biggest trends is ceramics printed in faux wood grain on walls as well as floors. Shiplap walls were big.  Subway tile is probably on the way out. I looked at the websites for a couple of big US paint manufacturers and didn't see a lot of yellow though the Sherwin-Williams website had a wide yellow and white stripe.

After all the "mid-century modern" furniture of the last few years, inevitably the 1970s will have their revenge in the form of the return of avocado green, harvest gold, burnt orange and burnt sienna. When we once more see hessian wall weave and macramé planter hangers their victory will be complete.

Do Britons say mah-crah-may (like I knew in Australia) or mack-ram-eh (like I hear in the US)?

EDIT:
We did have an avocado coloured rotary telephone, but thankfully no avocado or harvest gold major appliances.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

.Getting to him was a right pain a lot of it caused by a cyclist at the front at the lights slowing the traffic so you missed the next set of green,  so while you waited he went up the front , for the next set,  the next,  the next... 

51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a similar experience with a cyclist as Q did. What is more he was obviously doing it deliberately because he gave the two finger salute to a few drivers and looked very pleased with himself. Then we came to a set of lights with a high kerb topped with railings on the n/s. There I deliberately pulled as far to the left as I could and stopped. There was not enough room for him to squeeze by on the left and he found that the driver behind me had cottoned on to what I was doing and had pulled up close behind me so that the cyclist couldn't get through. 

What you need is the Idaho Stop rule. In this case, a bicyclist can treat a red light as it were a stop sign and a stop sign as a "yield" / "give way" sign.  It's pragmatic in so far as in low traffic they do this anyway an it encourages cyclists to get out of the way of motor traffic. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

The bathroom in my flat in Chingford was Avocado Green ...

The appliances (like the tub, basin and toilet) or the wall or (dare I ask) all of the above?

57 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I noticed that the house we eventually viewed and bought had a primrose coloued bathroom. ... The main bathroom in this house is a classic early nineties colour “misty pink”.

51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I purchased this house the bathroom suite was a colour known as ox-blood.

Yikes!

A friend was a fan of purple. She painted an accent wall of her dining room imperial purple and was very proud of it. I hadn't the heart to tell her what I really thought.

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

11 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

All of the above and wall tiles to match! I even found an appropriately coloured toilet paper to match!! IIRC, even the carpet was 'in keeping'!

I am quite speechless. ;)  While I am glad you found it soothing, I cannot help but be reminded of The Great Green Arkleseizure.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What you need is the Idaho Stop rule. In this case, a bicyclist can treat a red light as it were a stop sign and a stop sign as a "yield" / "give way" sign.  It's pragmatic in so far as in low traffic they do this anyway an it encourages cyclists to get out of the way of motor traffic. 

You might think I would know that but it's a new one on me.

Edited by AndyID
Yet another typographical error.
  • Like 16