The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Looking up Flinders brought to mind the interactions of the British and French navigators in the south seas.

Flinders' meeting with Nicolas Baudin at Encounter Bay (South Australia) is one example. While it occurred in 1802 during the peace of Amiens, neither of them having any knowledge that their nations were at peace yet they determined to meet. Baudin would later stop in Sydney to resupply before returning to Île-de-France (Mauritius) where he died. 

Earlier, Jean-François de Galaup, comte de Lapérouse arrived off Botany Bay on January 24, 1788. This is two days before Arthur Phillip raised the Union Flag at Sydney Cove, having sensibly decided that Botany Bay was less suitable for a settlement than Port Jackson. HMS Supply had first arrived in the area on January 18. Rarely do Australia Day celebrations mention French onlookers, but they were in the area (in Botany Bay) and would be so for the next several weeks. The only reason we know anything about the Lapérouse voyage is because he was able to send papers home aboard the Alexander, one of the convict transports.

Lapérouse had crewed with Louis Antoine de Bougainville whose circumnavigation of the world returned to France in 1769. James Cook would depart for his circumnavigation in 1768, but not return until 1771. In 1768, Bougainville barely missed being "first, non-Spanish, European tourist in Tahiti" since Samuel Wallis and Phillip Carteret arrived there in 1767.

The Spanish had been in the area in the 16th century.

Tahiti had a slew of tourists beginning with Wallis and Carteret and Bougainville, and followed by Cook (1769), Bligh (1789) and Edward Edwards in HMS Pandora in 1791.

It is postulated that Edwards might have passed by signal fires set by shipwrecked survivors of Lapérouse's voyage when passing Vanikoro (in the Santa Cruz Islands, southeast of the main Solomon Islands). Like Cook, Edwards would wreck on the Great Barrier Reef. Unlike Cook's HMB Endeavour, Pandora would sink.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

35 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I just thought that I had another interesting home/country to add, but it may be cheating as I wasn't quite born at the time.  My parents were in Iraq in 1959, Dad worked in oil exploration and there was a bit of do brewing (Hussain, S, Ba'ath party had something going on there IIRC) so Mum left in a big rush.  Dad had a harder time getting out but he and others did make it eventually.  A couple of weeks after Mum got home I arrived, so I was nearly born in Iraq - which had I been, might have lead to me being interned at the time of the first Gulf war. I suppose I now live in the right place for that!

One of the local big-shots in Paisley had spent a lot of time in Iraq managing electrical installations. He had a habit of starting sentences with "When I was in Baghdad.........".

Naturally, he was always referred to as Baghdad Shaw.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Whilst waiting I have received a steady stream of parcels for other flats.  Mr. Hermes knocked next door with a trio of items and finding no-one home then knocked here which isn't a problem as I will always take parcels for neighbours.  Whilst doing the necessary Mr. TNT appeared with a parcel also for the same neighbours which was also taken and whilst doing that Mr. Somebody-else arrived with a parcel for farther along the block - as they also were not home he asked if I might oblige ..... I should charge storage and handling!!!  I wonder if they could arrange to be out next time they order pizza ;)

This works well until Mr. Postman is too lazy to put a "No. 7 has your parcel" card thru' the letterbox of the intended recipient.  So they're left waiting for a parcel they don't know has been delivered, whilst the Good Neighbour gets slowly more and more p1ssed off that the owner can't be bothered to come and get it.....

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When we lived in MK the area we were in was laid out in outwards facing squares,  with a children's play area surrounded by each group of houses.  So each square could face 4 other groups of houses with different street names... 

Street names?  Yep each group was called street or road, Not square, so either side of the tarmac was officially on a different road!!! The posties got used to it but police, ambulances and white van man were totally confused..  If you go to the MK show you're on the edge of the chaos... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

KZ, I'm a bit concerned about your navigational skills if the Arctic is considered a continent, and I am compelled to "harrumph" at the assertion that "Australasia" is a continent. While that may well have been an apt description at the height of glaciation my compatriots will insist that the continent today is "Australia".

We have Lt. (later Captain) Matthew Flinders to thank for popularizing the name over the more hypothetical Terra Australis or the dubiously claimed Nova Hollandia, which Cook reinforced in his maps as New Holland.

According to Wikipedia he makes the following footnote in his "A Voyage to Terra Australis":

Michael, I was just a simple marine engineer and so I had almost nothing to do with the Sundeck Dept who were responsible for pointing the things and whose forefathers gave names to the lumps they encountered :lol:. I just hoped we didn't bump into any unexpectedly as that would presumably get my feet wet. 

There is an Arctic Ocean, in which sit a few land lumps, generally covered by ice, Greenland being the largest. Are those lands not part of the Arctic? Australia is similarly the largest land mass between the Indian Ocean and South America but there are many other islands of various sizes, including Tasmania. Call it what you will, they are generally grouped together but I accept Oceania is an oft-used term. Islands off the coast of South America are regarded as belonging to that continent, as islands off the coast of North America are similarly classified as part of North America. The British Isles and the island of Ireland are classified as part of Europe too.

• Like 17

31 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

There is an Arctic Ocean, in which sit a few land lumps, generally covered by ice, Greenland being the largest. Are those lands not part of the Arctic? Australia is similarly the largest land mass between the Indian Ocean and South America but there are many other islands of various sizes, including Tasmania. Call it what you will, they are generally grouped together but I accept Oceania is an oft-used term. Islands off the coast of South America are regarded as belonging to that continent, as islands off the coast of North America are similarly classified as part of North America. The British Isles and the island of Ireland are classified as part of Europe too.

While I was having a bit of fun, I hope I did not come across as being annoyingly pedantic. The Arctic is certainly an ocean, but is not a continent. Australians are proud of their landmass being considered the seventh continent, rather than a mere island. They will rankle at the suggestion that it is an island, though do see themselves as part of an Australasian economic zone.

Oceania is indeed a vague term. Depending on context, the Commonweath of Australia (as distinct from the geological, continental landmass) is often lumped into it, particularly in histogram charts where some quantity is calculated according to a regional distribution. Even the continental landmass is included in this definition. Curiously, Orwell includes the fictional nation state defined by IncSoc as being Oceania.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

7ac1e5416835569a0c0c970be1d2fc33--burnley-bud.jpg.e5acf907ce8010f45d0795fb463404c5.jpg

Not too far from where I live, there used to be three [*] rather large mental institutions - built in the late Victorian era with funds from Manchester........

So I blame the Mancs.

[*] Now down to one small unit due to close soon and one "hospital" with a rather high double barbed wire fence and a double "air-lock" style powered gates.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Only a few months ago I had a parcel delivered when I was out and it was left with a neighbour six doors away. When I went to collect it the lady asked me which number I was as she had parcels for three other neighbours lined up in her hallway. As it turned out the other neighbours were genuinely not at home for one reason or another. 

• Like 17