The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. More than a bit windy here but at least theres no dampness. The next door neighbours left just before Christmas so the landlord decided to repair the flat roof of the extension. The builder started early this morning but had to give up due to the wind. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 19

33 minutes ago, 81C said:

Spent the next 2 hours in Wickes & B and Q Dulux don't do a brochure anymore a ~ickbrain in the Wickes store said you need to go on-line before you come to the store.....

Strange that, I picked this up in my local Wickes about two weeks ago......810505060_IMG_20200204_1655352.jpg.f02a1df5398ae941b255f120ae38c46f.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. More than a bit windy here but at least theres no dampness. The next door neighbours left just before Christmas so the landlord decided to repair the flat roof of the extension. The builder started early this morning but had to give up due to the wind. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

Tea; tiny bit o' milk and no sugar for me please :)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I am normal. Everyone else is eccentric. ...snip...

Can't be, I am the only normal one!! :biggrin_mini: :biggrin_mini: :wacko: :biggrin_mini:

13 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Mr Bach: How do they pronounce "Piedmont" around there?

PEEd mont is the way that I hear it pronounced here, I learned it that way in a different part of the country.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Strange that, I picked this up in my local Wickes about two weeks ago......810505060_IMG_20200204_1655352.jpg.f02a1df5398ae941b255f120ae38c46f.jpg

I picked one up there's feck all in it, it's now in the recycling box now.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

15 minutes ago, 81C said:

Must be different to the one I have then; has full colour swatches for many paint types and finishes, various decorating hints and tips as well as some room design ideas. 50pp in total.

Edited by leopardml2341
Added details of booklet contents
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 81C said:

The best way to get at Dulux colours is to pick up the colour shade cards that go with the mixer paints.  But you'll need to find a decent stockist who does the mixer range to find them.

Dave Hunt's post reminds me taht Doctors always seem to take an interest in your past physical activities when you call in to talk about developing physical defect, or even for a medical.   Showing how much things have changed when I had my BR medical for entering permanent employment the MO, Dr Watney (really) took one look at my stomach and said 'Do you row?' as he thumped it quite hard with the flat of his hand  The answer of course was blindingly obvious otherwise I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have thumped it and had his hand bounce off my stomach muscles (yes - I was a very different shape back then).

The next time sport came up was when I had to do various heart test including the treadmill thing and when I said 'rowing' I got some sympathetic looks but fortunately I had never been exactly top anything class (never got out of a 'Junior' crew - the title is not age related incidentally) because rowing can lead to heart damage

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

32 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Compared to our parents, most get around much more these days; if you got out of the county years ago, it was  a rarity. 

One definite exception was members of the armed forces, especially in wartime. During WW2,  my dad got as far as what became Israel during service around the Mediterranean,  my father-in-law saw Fremantle in Australia (via Singapore) and Halifax, Nova Scotia, and an uncle made it to Bermuda. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

1 hour ago, pH said:

One definite exception was members of the armed forces, especially in wartime. During WW2,  my dad got as far as what became Israel during service around the Mediterranean,  my father-in-law saw Fremantle in Australia (via Singapore) and Halifax, Nova Scotia, and an uncle made it to Bermuda. 

My dad was sent to India and Burma, via South Africa by the army. He actually met up with my mums cousin out in Burma. My mums cousin was flying Daks in and out of Imphal were my dad was stationed. Another family friend travelled across Canada courtesy of the army and for a short part of the journey they were locked in the train as it detoured through the USA which was neutral at the time. Not sure where this was but I've no doubt someone will enlighten me.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1