The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I first visited the Land of The Long White Cloud 50 years ago and found it wonderful. I last went back six years ago and still loved it. Sadly, SWMBO is not of my disposition in that respect so it will not be my final home.

Stock of muddling tokens is taking a hit, one nail in centre of rear nearside tyre is plug-able, long and sharp small stone in shoulder of front nearside tyre is not - bar steward! Still, If we couldn't have taken a joke, SWMBO shouldn't have succumbed to wanting a BMW - talking of which, things are quiet here as the two broomsticks have flown off to disturb the residents of Welwyn Garden City. No doubt more tokens will be spent. Bah, humbug,

Yours,

E Ben Ezerscrooge.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

shouldn't have succumbed to wanting a BMW - 

Are tyres for BMWs particularly expensive? I notice some  tyres are rated for certain manufacturers and wondered if they cost more?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Are tyres for BMWs particularly expensive? I notice some  tyres are rated for certain manufacturers and wondered if they cost more?

BMWs are a bit like some Bavarian gentlemen (and ladies) I have met who are large and broad people who frequently don't signal their intentions adequately. They seem to exaggerate their size by using even bigger boots :lol:. Original equipment for this model was either a Dunlop Maxxsport or a similar Michelin, both of which come up as more expensive via the common tyre searches. Were we to have a smaller car, it wouldn't have such large wheels requiring low profile and high speed rating tyres - 225/60 R17V are what is supposed to be fitted and, whilst you can get cheapo ones by unknown manufacturers, the only thing that allows me to go round corners and to stop is the small amount of rubber in contact with the road in each corner. I therefore stick with the same specification and with a quality brand, the Pirellis on now have been and remain very good. Sadly, there is no present stock of the Pirelli tyre so it will be Avon - also good in my view.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

225/60 R17V are

Mine are 245/45 R20 W so I expect they won’t be cheap but at least there is free tea and coffee at our local (highly recommended) tyre place. 
Tony

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning.

Yesterday with most of the day to myself I started with the exercise program <groan>

After that some light piano practice and then decided that the exercise program has woken up a lot of sleeping muscles and spent the rest of the day mostly relaxing, reading and doing the Sunday crossword puzzles. Getting in shape is painful :O

-2 and cloudy first thing and that's the expected high for the day!

Carry on ;)

• Friendly/supportive 18

10 hours ago, Barry O said:

Took my new friend for a walk at the zoo today

Meet Minibus. A lady wombat ..she loves raw sweetcorn, can kill dingoes and has a top speed of 45kph.

Lots of koalas being looked after by the teams at Australia Zoo.

I am very pleased to have been able to see Harriet the tortoise at Australia Zoo when my son was little.  I have a pre-digital photograph somewhere.

Sadly Harriet (whom Charles Darwin collected in the Galapagos while voyaging on the Beagle) is no longer with us. My dad has slides of Harry (as she was known then) roaming the Botanical Gardens on Gardens Point where she developed a fondness for Hibiscus flowers.

The story behind funding and naming the "John Oliver Koala Chlamydia Ward" at the Australia Zoo is very funny.

A short synopsis: English expatriate comedian (now US citizen) John Oliver, with a weekly political satire show on HBO, purchased some of Russell Crowe's movie ephemera (including the leather jock strap from Gladiator - which was subsequently displayed at the penultimate Blockbuster Video* store in the world) at auction. Russell Crowe donated the proceeds of the auction to Australia Zoo and "honoured" the origin of the funds by naming the ward.

* The only remaining Blockbuster Video in the world is in central Oregon.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I bought my new tyres  through Black Circles http://www.blackcircles.com . Most of the tyres with names that you don't recognize are made by the big name companies. If you compare them you will see that the only difference is the name moulded on the carcass, and the price which can be as little as half of the big name tyres. My car is on Pirelli's but that isn't the name on them. Had a look again today at the 'battered boxes' at Tess Coes' and came away with a HDMI lead for half price. Now time for dinner, be back later.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Kingzance said:

BMWs are a bit like some Bavarian gentlemen (and ladies) I have met who are large and broad people who frequently don't signal their intentions adequately. They seem to exaggerate their size by using even bigger boots :lol:. Original equipment for this model was either a Dunlop Maxxsport or a similar Michelin, both of which come up as more expensive via the common tyre searches. Were we to have a smaller car, it wouldn't have such large wheels requiring low profile and high speed rating tyres - 225/60 R17V are what is supposed to be fitted and, whilst you can get cheapo ones by unknown manufacturers, the only thing that allows me to go round corners and to stop is the small amount of rubber in contact with the road in each corner. I therefore stick with the same specification and with a quality brand, the Pirellis on now have been and remain very good. Sadly, there is no present stock of the Pirelli tyre so it will be Avon - also good in my view.

I missed a trick. I should have sold my whole car to you. We'd both have come off better. :D

• Like 4
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I missed a trick. I should have sold my whole car to you. We'd both have come off better. :D

When I traded in my Scenic for a Freelander the trade in just about covered the cost of the accessories to carry a dog about. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Just now, Gwiwer said:

There seems to be an outbreak of those across the site

There seems to be an outbreak of those across the site

Indeed, and I even tried to "Hide" the second one but it refused to go away so I edited it instead :O

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Indeed, and I even tried to "Hide" the second one but it refused to go away so I edited it instead :O

Well I found it as interesting the 2nd time as the first. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16