The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

However the excursion fitted well with the remarshalling of the cars as we needed to changeover from yesterday's CPM formation to the MCP formation required for first thing tomorrow.  Tomorrow evening will see the formation alter to - assuming his ladship is on the ball when he arrives home tomorrow evening - CMP in readiness for first thing on Tuesday morning when the Oxford bound Corsa will be first out of the gate followed a bit later by the Camberley bound Mini leaving the Peugeot standing open for local trip working.  I think it's back to MCP for Wednesday morning - but it might not be depends on the Good Doctor's roster. 

No chance of a helix with ludicrously tight radii to create access to a stack? Of course I realise that it is probably only railway modellers and station car park designers who would go in for such crazy ideas.

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But aren't chickens two-legged?

Both Sherry and I used to be dropped off near that Dorking roundabout en route skool. No cock there then, of course, although the town emblem has always been a Dorking cockerel. Sherry's best friend Liz, and my best friend Peter (d 1974, mesothelioma) were brother and sister living at 26 Deepdene Avenue, just down from the roundabout. We would each collect our friend and walk the half mile to skool in Ashcombe Road.  

Hence the User Name?:good:

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a trip out to Basildon town  centre today. Not even free parking on Sunday drew any crowds. If not for the young people skateboarding one might have thought it had been abandoned like Chernobyl. Anyway the reason for our visit was to go to Hobbycraft in search of press stud popper fasteners to repair a duvet. We had an ancient tool and fasteners but it was so brittle it broke. Hobbycraft seems to be the place to go for anyone who likes glitter based hobbies. Lots on display. The new duvet fittings worked. 
I have had a successful IT based afternoon sorting out an Android tablet for Aditi. It is one I used to use until I got my present iPad. It hasn’t been used for some time and demanded a restart password. I don’t remember it having one so I did a factory reset and then had the fun of getting Aditi to remember her Google and email passwords. She did seem impressed that everything syncs between her phone and “new” tablet. She only wants it for borrowing online stuff from Essex library service. It doesn’t work on Kindles, one of which she uses for purchased books.  
Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Victory! The DVR captured the whole of the Australian Open men's final with 14 minutes to spare after match point was concluded. Just as well there were a couple of quick sets. Congrats to the champion, though I would have liked to see his competitor triumph.  The replay schedules were inconvenient given the big sporting event in the US* this Candlemas, also preempting all the customary Groundhog day blather**. 

* Not the Waste Management Phoenix Open golf - already the 5th PGA tour event in 2020. Next week is Pebble Beach. Time flies!

** Apparently Punxsutawny Phil predicts an early Spring.

Now it's on to a friend's in an hour or so for the Superbowl.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, pH said:

And it's snowing ...

After teasing us with threats of a wintry mix or low altitude snow, (which were never going to happen on the valley floor) we have intermittent bright sunshine here.

At <7°C it is cooler than our record highs on Friday (~16°C) but nowhere near frozen precipitation and it hasn't rained since I surfaced this morning.

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Although I'm some way from Stafford and don't normally venture north of the Thames did manage to visit Deadmans Lane earlier this evening......on YouTube.

One of the videos had quite a long look at Deadmans Lane, very impressive especially all that yellow stuff. Reminds me that I've got to pre-order some of new yellow stuff announced by the red box people.

Must admit that most of the shows I visit are on YouTube but there is a chance that I might venture across the river and climb up the mountainside to Ally Pally in a few weeks time.

Keith

Maybe join us for the meet on the Saturday?

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I must have just missed Tony in Basildon as I went in to town to get some things from Wilko's, only to find they were out of stock. The two weights are now being put to good use straightening out a piece of MDF that was getting a bit curly. The lurgi is still a bit reluctant to go so the Lem-sip and Caledonian falling down water will be deployed soon.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17