The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Luckily I know where to park nearby and await confirmation that Elvis they have left the building so avoiding the draconian charge rate that starts at ten minutes and one second after you enter the drop off / pick up zone.

7 hours ago, 5 C said:

When I'm on an airport run, I tell my passengers to met me in the Mid Stay Car Park, call me when they've arrived and meet them at their location. I park up nearby and use the 15 minute free period at the Mid Stay to drive in, load up and get out.

Vancouver International has a free "cellphone parking lot" some distance away from the terminals. If I'm picking up someone with a cellphone that works in Canada, I'll wait there till they're through arrivals and phone me. If someone doesn't have a 'North American' phone, my wife will meet them in arrivals and phone when they're ready for pickup. There's a pickup lane outside the arrivals terminal and 'marshals' keep it moving - you can't just sit in it waiting for someone. If you try, you'll be told to go round and join again at the back. It works well, though if 3 or 4 widebodies arrive at the same time (and it can happen), the pickup lane can get pretty hectic.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 11

2 hours ago, pH said:

Vancouver International has a free "cellphone parking lot" some distance away from the terminals.

That's fairly common in a lot of airports in western North America. I know for sure that PDX and PHX both have them.

Nevertheless YVR is a lovely airport (if that adjective can legitimately be used with airports). I think I've told my YVR story before but I will be forever indebted to the thoughtfulness of some staff there. I recently transited through YVR on my way back from Australia (in October). A bit tedious trekking out to the very end of a dumpy little terminal wing for my outbound Air Canada flight, but far superior to my LAX experiences.

LAX of course may be improved by their new inter-terminal connector, but I don't know if that is available to returning international passengers.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

If only SWMBO would allow us to emigrate, we could apparently save a fortune on airport parking! One can’t take a vehicle near Luton Airport for fear that you might have some sort of terrorist idea in your mind.

Nightol where required, ‘night all for most others and morning to our antipodean friends and temp residents. Evening western brethren.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Interesting item on my Farcebook feed, Diss in Norfolk has a problem with feral chickens! Apparently the local council are trying to stop the locals from feeding the birds as what they don't eat is attracting vermin such as rats. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51300917

31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

You could send them to TheQ for his keel although the postage might be a bit steep.

He could also use them to stop the marquee from blowing away.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a busy but enjoyable day here, Ava and I had quite a productive day in the kitchen, she really enjoys baking. After that we had dinner, which as ever is pancakes served with maple syrup. After dinner she sat and read until her Mum and Dad called to collect her. As usual, they stopped for a while and had a piece of the cake that Ava made, we use gluten free biscuits in the rocky road so Vickie can partake in a slice and it went down very well.

Tea tonight was a case of raiding the freezer and taking out some curry sauce, all that was need to to add some fried chicken and pilau rice and some naan bread, sorted. Then it was sit down with a nice bottle of wine and catch up on some recorded TV.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18