The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Another station up for sale. Well the platform buildings anyway as the station is still open.

https://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-sale/ref-30883137/for-sale?utm_source=property.mitula.co.uk&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2qiveeEfwZZ-_DuQhBS-fBPXooUWSazhJMSCDI-m9pXxORTXKdL7ZmdKY

I would convert it into self catering holiday accomodation.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Another station up for sale. Well the platform buildings anyway as the station is still open.

https://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-sale/ref-30883137/for-sale?utm_source=property.mitula.co.uk&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2qiveeEfwZZ-_DuQhBS-fBPXooUWSazhJMSCDI-m9pXxORTXKdL7ZmdKY

I would convert it into self catering holiday accomodation.

The price history is interesting.

Perhaps they saw you looking and put the price up again.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon. A bit of a restless night despite plenty of beer yesterday in Shoreham By Sea with an ER. A very overcast day and quite chilly but at least it was normally just a short walk to the next pub. Only downside was that the best one was wedged so we didn't stay.

I have been in the shed this morning laying Modroc that was our from late friends modelling stash that we were given a few years ago, so he will be remembered on the new layout. Work as now resumed on the buildings with the signal cabin now under way - its tiny.

• Like 19

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However it will always be a question of who got there first - and it looks like the USAF well and truly won the race -

It would have been nice if that article actually backed it up with images or specific unit badges.

I don't believe that Air Force Space Command insignia dates from 1961. Air Force Space Command (the older badge illustrated in the article) was activated in 1982 - shortly before the Reagan Strategic Defense Initiative / "Star Wars" days.

The predecessor units to Air Force Space Command (Tactical Air Command and Air Force Systems Command) don't appear to have used it.

I'm not insisting that the USAF did not use a swallowtail delta device at some point earlier, but when making such an assertion, responsible journalism would back it up with specifics - otherwise this is little better than a "he said" / "she said" assertion. Triangles are a very common device in US military badges, but the tall, swallowtail triangle is less so.

EDIT

The unit patch of the 412th Fighter Group, later 412th Test Wing does have a launching triangle device, but absent the swallowtail. I imagine there is something out there somewhere but it's not obvious.

Further web dragging finds the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles AFB. The unit was created in 1961 and has a launching swallowtail delta device. (I don't know when this badge was designed though it conceivably dates to 1961.) It has similarity to other 'space age' designs. 

If there is a inspiration for the StarFleet logo, it is more likely the chevron in the NASA shield.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Having spent the best part of the morning in bed or bath I spent a lot of the afternoon doing eyelid inspection. I will have to get to bed a bit earlier. Arthur Itis has been quiet lately but the return of the dampness has woken him up but not too much. Tea is waiting to be drunk, be back later.

Laze E. Buqqer.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I'd better get my #rse into gear if I want to go to Alton next week I'm hoping the trip out won't be affected by Lady Woking I don't 

think she will want to do things as she will need to take it easy after a bout of pneumonia she is still in hospital and might be out Tuesday fingers crossed. 

Gottha Jitters 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, 81C said:

I suppose I'd better get my #rse into gear if I want to go to Alton next week I'm hoping the trip out won't be affected by Lady Woking I don't 

think she will want to do things as she will need to take it easy after a bout of pneumonia she is still in hospital and might be out Tuesday fingers crossed. 

Gottha Jitters 

I certainly needed to take it easy for a while after my pneumonia episode a couple of years ago. Fortunately I was able to. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It would have been nice if that article actually backed it up with images or specific unit badges.

I don't believe that Air Force Space Command insignia dates from 1961. Air Force Space Command (the older badge illustrated in the article) was activated in 1982 - shortly before the Reagan Strategic Defense Initiative / "Star Wars" days.

The predecessor units to Air Force Space Command (Tactical Air Command and Air Force Systems Command) don't appear to have used it.

I'm not insisting that the USAF did not use a swallowtail delta device at some point earlier, but when making such an assertion, responsible journalism would back it up with specifics - otherwise this is little better than a "he said" / "she said" assertion. Triangles are a very common device in US military badges, but the tall, swallowtail triangle is less so.

EDIT

The unit patch of the 412th Fighter Group, later 412th Test Wing does have a launching triangle device, but absent the swallowtail. I imagine there is something out there somewhere but it's not obvious.

Further web dragging finds the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles AFB. The unit was created in 1961 and has a launching swallowtail delta device. (I don't know when this badge was designed though it conceivably dates to 1961.) It has similarity to other 'space age' designs. 

If there is a inspiration for the StarFleet logo, it is more likely the chevron in the NASA shield.

They all just look like my SatNav pointer and I’m sure it must have been around a long time before they were.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

I was a bit taken aback this afternoon. I had watched a replay of tennis from late Saturday night in the Australian Open (the Swiss maestro) and when the next replay was that of a match I already watched live, switched the channel.

On the crawl at the bottom was news that Kobe Bryant (a retired NBA basketball player) had died in a helicopter crash in Southern California. This news will not perhaps mean much in the UK, but Kobe was a basketball megastar. He was 41 and leaves behind three of his four daughters born 2003 through 2019. Reports are coming in that his 13 year-old daughter was also a casualty of the helicopter crash.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but this news was very unexpected.

His record as the number three scorer in the NBA was surpassed only yesterday.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7