The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, PeterBB said:

The Hilman Imp was good on the racetrack ... remember them racing the feet off the Minis before the main British Grand Prix F! event in the 70s

They might have been ok on the track but a bit scary on bumpy roads, hit a bump and the front lifted off the ground leaving you with no steering. Some suggested putting a garden slab in the front to keep it on the ground, but I didn't bother.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all, with special thoughts to all who are under the weather or in imperfect health for whatever reason.  There is a certain amount of self-interest in this, for my lurgi has reached the stage of one final push needed before it goes.  On past form I reckon I am stuck with it for at least another week.  Oh joy.

I see that some have been discussing times for getting out of bed.  Until I was paid to go away, at the end of March 2006, I would crawl out of bed at 04.40.  In those not entirely happy days I worked in Cambridge and soon discovered that the earlier the journey was made the less time it consumed.  Even a departure five minutes later meant a disproportionately later arrival.  Some reassurance came from spotting familiar vehicles, complemented by modest anxiety if one of the familiar vans and lorries was missing.  Nowadays, as a free man, I regard 6 am as a lie-in but have no difficulty in rising early if I need to be somewhere.   When I drive down to Sidmouth for the folk festival I aim to be on the road by soon after 04.30.  No, I'm not crazy.   Doing it that way means that I miss nearly all the rush hours between here and there.  I used to take a break in Bristol at about 08.00 for a cuppa with my aunt and would resume my south-westward trip around 09.30 once the rush had cleared.  I will need to rethink this now because my aunt has moved into a care home, as well she might at the age of 95.  The tea at Gordano services is probably a poor substitute. 

On a related subject, I need to remind myself how long it takes to drive from here to the Southampton show, including a stop for breakfast.  Now that Fleet Services has reopened I should be OK but I recall having an increasingly desperate search for a full English in the period that Fleet was closed following fire damage.  There are some decent breakfast outlets on the road.  One of my favourites is the Harry Ramsdens at Michael Wood on the M5 north of Bristol but it's not a lot of use if I'm bound for Southampton.  I have not entirely lost my sense of adventure and, as with many other things, we will have to see what happens.

I need to go to the bank this morning to retrieve some statements.  Going through them will keep me quiet for an hour or two.  Maybe.

Best wishes to all

Chris

If by chance you are going south on the A34, try diverting into Winchester North. There used to be a good Tesco cafeteria there, but I haven't used it for a year or two. If on the M4 going west, try the junction 12 , and go back towards Reading. There is a multitude of eateries there, some ok-ish, and some better.

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Went to The Shed. I knew that would be a mistake. I decided to finish off running in a loco that was a replacement for a loco with jammed valve gear last November.  Went forwards OK for 15 minutes. Then put in in reverse and after 2 circuits it stopped dead and one of the coupling rods is now banana shaped.  :banghead:

Spoke to a very nice man in Cornwall who suggested that I returned it to Guildford for them to have a look at. (again)

I hate this hobby!  :crazy:  

That was a comon issue with the Hornby Spam Cans such as ' WIlton'. Easy fix for that loco and later on Hornby altered the mechanism. However a linkage clash can be a big issue on the Heljan L & B locos which isnt so easy to rectify.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember fitting panniers on my BSA Bantam. The university text books I initially loaded made the rear of the bike far too heavy at the back end and impossible to control. I rethought and sent my heavy stuff home by BRS in a trunk. 

• Like 16

Good Evening!

After another day of "I'm 75 years old and I've decided to build a model railway" (no, I'm not making it up!), it's time to chill before wondering, in 60 hours' time, where the weekend went. Only, it'll seem like yesterday!

9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Afternoon folks (just).

On mi lunch break at work, one thing I've tried to make sure I do for a few months now is to actually get away from my desk.

Another thing I've done since Ch*****as is tried, and generally succeeded, to drink more fluids. Trouble is, more in = more out......

Back in a bit :)

I used to take lunch in the company's "kitchen" (there's a couple of fridges, a microwave oven, a toaster and a continuous water otter) but was interrupted so many times by colleagues that I decided to make use of the contractual condition that the only time that one could be off site was during the lunch break and sit on a bench at the local station and consume lunch. As the 'interrupters' got wise to this, they would come to the station so now I use my season ticket to go to the next station for lunch.

Albeit for differing reasons, leopardml2341, it is now my habit to get away from my desk for lunch break!

Fluids, more in certainly is more out; my worry is that more in gives less out - must be the wrong fluids ;)

7 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

If by chance you are going south on the A34, try diverting into Winchester North. There used to be a good Tesco cafeteria there, but I haven't used it for a year or two. If on the M4 going west, try the junction 12 , and go back towards Reading. There is a multitude of eateries there, some ok-ish, and some better.

Ian.

Tesco at Junction 9 of the M3 certainly had a good eatery. J9 = A33 + A34 junction as well as the A272.

However, from the M25 direction, IIRC, there is a Services just before Junction 9 which may be worth a try!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Ian.

Halladays Tearoom in central Southampton has a very good reputation. Although it is a few miles beyond the Eastleigh turn off. 

Probably 15 mins from the venue. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2020 at 21:37, JohnDMJ said:

Good to hear that your travel plans are going well.

I'd heard that the strikes in France were starting to fizzle out; what's the score?

To be honest I don't know but it is still rumbling on.

20 hours ago, AndyID said:

My brother bought a Clan Crusader in '72. It wasn't all that quick but it could corner like a Lotus. He left it with me when he went to work in Persia. I had to rebuild the gearbox before he came home!

EDIT: The Wikipedia page says it was available as a "kit". That's not strictly true. You bought three "spare parts" that you had to bolt together. There were no instructions. At that time kits attracted purchase tax but spare parts didn't. The introduction of VAT not long after my brother bought his Crusader put an end to that. It probably had a lot to do with demise of the company and kit cars in general.

I believe that Lotus did that and carscduch as the Elan and ny favourite, the Europa came as kits.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, PeterBB said:

The Hilman Imp was good on the racetrack ... remember them racing the feet off the Minis before the main British Grand Prix F! event in the 70s

Back home on holiday, we borrowed my Fathers Imp.  One drive up the freeway was enough; barely reached the limit and the noise and vibration was intolerable.  So back to Hertz, not as cheap but  a better trip next time!

Brian.

• Like 15