The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Robert said:

Even going back to the time of the Hillman Imp with its Coventry Climax engine.  That had been designed as a fire pump engine.  Therefore, it could be wheeled out, started, and run on full throttle for hours without problems.  The problems only came in if you treated the engine with kid gloves!  It was always considered to be the one engine that you should never try to run in. :closedeyes::lol:

The Hilman Imp was good on the racetrack ... remember them racing the feet off the Minis before the main British Grand Prix F! event in the 70s

• Like 10
  • Agree 8

In an email the other day my mum used a term from her time capsule of colloquialisms.

She described her sister (who is ill) having a moment where she was "scotty" with her adult daughter.  (No offense to Scottish ERs but it means a short tempered outburst.) While readily understood in Australia, I don't think it is commonly heard ("stroppy" would be more common) and I assume that expression has a background in the British Isles. Is this expression used colloquially today?

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I used to start and finish early, 8 to 4 instead of 9 till 5. That ment I'd arrive at work just as the morning rush was starting and going home slotted neatly between school turn out time and the start of the rush. My employers were happy as well as it spread the hours when there was someone there to cover. Grey and overcast as it has been for the last few days with a bit of drizzle in the air. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 17

Afternoon folks (just).

On mi lunch break at work, one thing I've tried to make sure I do for a few months now is to actually get away from my desk.

Another thing I've done since Ch*****as is tried, and generally succeeded, to drink more fluids. Trouble is, more in = more out......

Back in a bit :)

Edited by leopardml2341
Chr*****as rather than Christmas, didn't realise it was a banned word :)
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Greetings all from a greyish LBG.

My roommate in Leeds had a mini van, proudly proclaiming his old man's shopfitting firm in Crayford. I doubt much business was gained from the rare occasion he'd bung 50p of petrol in it and we'd head off to North Farm Fisheries. (Onion bhaji, chips and curry sauce 99p).

Hope those that are ailing maintain an upward trajectory.

Have a good weekend

• Like 18