The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What I'd really like is EV version of a Fiat Spider with four motors. That would allow the torque to be controlled at each wheel which is something automotive engineers have been trying to do for a long time.

The 2020 Tesla Roadster:

The Roadster has three electric motors, one in front and two at the rear, allowing for all-wheel drive, and torque vectoring during cornering. Tesla said that the vehicle had a 200 kWh (720 MJ) battery, twice the capacity of the Tesla Model S P100D, and giving a 1,000 km (620 miles) range on one charge at highway speeds. Tesla stated that the torque at wheels was 10,000 N⋅m (7,400 lb⋅ft). The rear wheels are larger than the front wheels

It won't go on sale until after the Model Y (a crossover utility vehicle based on the Model 3) is introduced.

It's a 'semi-convertible' a coupe with a removable glass roof. (Think a Targa* top.)

* Another Trademark used as a generic term.

It won't come cheap but they are advertising it as the "quickest" car in the world and will be charging supercar prices.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The 2020 Tesla Roadster:

It won't go on sale until after the Model Y (a crossover utility vehicle based on the Model 3) is introduced.

It's a 'semi-convertible' a coupe with a removable glass roof. (Think a Targa* top.)

* Another Trademark used as a generic term.

It won't come cheap but they are advertising it as the "quickest" car in the world and will be charging supercar prices.

See, I told you I wasn't paying attention!

Yes, torque vectoring gives them a huge advantage over anything that relies on a differential. I'm a bit dissapointed they wimped-out and only use one motor at the front. If they had used two they could have dumped the power steering.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

See, I told you I wasn't paying attention!

Yes, torque vectoring gives them a huge advantage over anything that relies on a differential. I'm a bit dissapointed they wimped-out and only use one motor at the front. If they had used two they could have dumped the power steering.

Mind you, for a super-car it might make a lot more sense if it's a hybrid petrol-electric with short term energy storage for rapid acceleration. It's probably a contest between battery weight versus IC engine and generator weight. A small gas turbine powering a generator could be interesting.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

I was thinking of something a wee bit smaller ;)

The turbochargers in cars are only a fraction of the mass/size of the engine but they are capable of contributing a substantial amount of power, possibly 50% more power than the non-turbo charged version of the same engine. They lack the combustion stage of a gas turbine of course, but that does not need all that more "stuff".

Gas turbines are not efficient unless they are running "full tilt", but that's what they would be required to do if they were charging a battery. They'd either be off or on. At the time Rover didn't have that option but it could be quite practical now.

But I'm probably dreaming!

Edited by AndyID
MoInfo
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Like an F1 engine?

A bit, but they use a flywheel, or at least they did. Are they still doing that? And they don't use motors at the wheels.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

The only place you could buy petrol was at a gas station. (As opposed to a train station.)

My dear Chap, using such Americanisms is just not the done thing...

There is no such thing as a train station, a is it a station for trains of camels, wedding dresses, or thought?

No My dear Sir, it is a railway station..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13

36 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Gas turbines are not efficient unless they are running "full tilt", but that's what they would be required to do if they were charging a battery. They'd either be off or on. At the time Rover didn't have that option but it could be quite practical now.

Actually, it's a pretty good idea to be honest.  The turbine really wouldn't need to be all that big - probably not a lot bigger than a large model aircraft turbine and with the correct soundproofing it would also be pretty quiet.

I've long thought that electricity is the way to go - we just need a cheap, sustainable, safe and efficient way of generating it!  Electricity is fantastic because it can be used to do practically anything - provide traction, heat or light.

Of course, even an internal combustion engine is much more efficient at a constant speed.  Even going back to the time of the Hillman Imp with its Coventry Climax engine.  That had been designed as a fire pump engine.  Therefore, it could be wheeled out, started, and run on full throttle for hours without problems.  The problems only came in if you treated the engine with kid gloves!  It was always considered to be the one engine that you should never try to run in. :closedeyes::lol:

By the way, on the subject of Gas Turbines.  Does anyone remember those trains that used to run from Boulogne Maritime down to Paris via Amiens?  They had gas turbines, and boy were they loud!  Not as loud as the Hovercraft, admittedly, but few things were!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A bit, but they use a flywheel, or at least they did. Are they still doing that? And they don't use motors at the wheels.

Many different approaches are possible. 

From Wikipedia:

In addition to the turbo-charged V6, kinetic energy recovery systems (KERS), now called Motor Generator Unit–Kinetic (MGU-K), also called regenerative brakes can be used. Energy can either be stored as mechanical energy (as in a flywheel) or as electrical energy (as in a battery or supercapacitor. Heat energy recovery systems were also allowed, under the name Motor Generator Unit–Heat (MGU-H)

There's also Formula E for electric motors.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

Actually, it's a pretty good idea to be honest.  The turbine really wouldn't need to be all that big - probably not a lot bigger than a large model aircraft turbine and with the correct soundproofing it would also be pretty quiet.

I've long thought that electricity is the way to go - we just need a cheap, sustainable, safe and efficient way of generating it!  Electricity is fantastic because it can be used to do practically anything - provide traction, heat or light.

Of course, even an internal combustion engine is much more efficient at a constant speed.  Even going back to the time of the Hillman Imp with its Coventry Climax engine.  That had been designed as a fire pump engine.  Therefore, it could be wheeled out, started, and run on full throttle for hours without problems.  The problems only came in if you treated the engine with kid gloves!  It was always considered to be the one engine that you should never try to run in. :closedeyes::lol:

I consider my lack of knowledge to be an asset. But it seems to me the EV manufacturers like Tesla should be investing in the development of an ultra-compact GT generator. My uneducated guess is you could get about 100 bhp out of something no bigger than a suitcase if it used state-of-the-art turbine blade technology. The sound would also be quite impressive.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

By the way, on the subject of Gas Turbines.  Does anyone remember those trains that used to run from Boulogne Maritime down to Paris via Amiens?  They had gas turbines, and boy were they loud!  Not as loud as the Hovercraft, admittedly, but few things were!

The "TurboTrain" ran in North America. Rapido made a model. There's plenty of videos on YouTube but in a quick search I didn't find one with a good sound recording of them operating.

There's also the "Turboliner". 

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Robert said:

Actually, it's a pretty good idea

But don't hold your breath. I've done two rounds of "no-brainer" patents to the automobile industry in the US and Germany. All the people I dealt with seemed to be stuck in the 19th Century!

In fairness it is a brutal industry. The people I was dealing with were probably more concerned about staying employed for the next six months than anything else.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day, but at least the overnight rain has ceased to fall. I may be asking for trouble again, but there isn’t a lot planned for the day. I only have 1 more MERG kit to make, which shouldn’t take long, so I’m hoping to do a bit more in the line of experiments with various bits and pieces of electronic components etc. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2