The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

After 70 you have to pay for an eyesight test and a medical to 'prove' that you are fit to drive ... repeated every three years after that although if you agree to only drive a car it becomes easier.  

Andy - panic mode will raise your BP ... just quieten down!

Not in Scotland my eye tests are still free and I just answered a question if I could drive without glasses and had no medical history to exclude me from driving, if I wanted to carry on driving lorries, then I needed a medical. I can still drive a motor bike even though I haven't been on one for over 30 years!!

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not in Scotland my eye tests are still free and I just answered a question if I could drive without glasses and had no medical history to exclude me from driving, if I wanted to carry on driving lorries, then I needed a medical. I can still drive a motor bike even though I haven't been on one for over 30 years!!

I seem to remember I was good for steam roadrollers and a few other things but they probably took that out by now. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from Perth. Off to see the quockers shortly.

Does the USA add more oomph to the stuff I used in the 1980s? It was more a case of water with a bit of petrol added in those day (89 octane)

Petrol here is very cheap compared to the uk. 

Sleep welluk residents and get well soon Rick

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Club night tonight and the revised date of our exhibition this year has been settled. It will be the 31st. of October (half term) for one day only. It will be at our usual venue in Laindon, the James Hornsby School.

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

After 70 you have to pay for an eyesight test and a medical to 'prove' that you are fit to drive ... repeated every three years after that although if you agree to only drive a car it becomes easier.  

Andy - panic mode will raise your BP ... just quieten down!

You only have to take a medical and eye test if you want to keep 'grandfather' rights. Thats minibuses up to 17 seats and GVW of 7.5 tonnes. You are still able to drive vehicles with up to 7 seats or 3.5 tonnes GVW without taking a medical/eye test. You just have to declare that you are fit.

15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I seem to remember I was good for steam roadrollers and a few other things but they probably took that out by now. 

My dad also had track laying vehicles on his licence. He had passed his test before joining the army but as a driver/mechanic he was expected to drive anything and everything.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Gas or petrol. The answers simple, gasoline and petrol were trade names that were adopted for the product in general. Rather like vacumn cleaners are refered to as hoovers but unlike hoover neither name crossed the Atlantic. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The brand name "Hoover" is very widely used in the UK generically for any vacuum cleaner but is not widely understood anywhere else.  I never heard it used in Australia.  The expression "to Hoover up" is simply "to vacuum" often suffixed with "the place".  

Has anyone written a thesis suggesting why some names, like Hoover, stick in certain places and not others while other names simply don't.  No-one ever goes to the Smeg or the Kelvinator for chilled food for example, nor do they flush the Shanks.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Happy birthday Mick.  

Driving Licence renewal at 70 - watch the b*ggers if you tell the truth about various medical conditions because they then get effin stupid and expect you to get a medical exam within 48 hours if you really do not want to be without a Driving Licence for month while they recover from the festive season (which is what happens with a birthday barely a week after Christmas). Otherwise it's as Phil has said and you don't need a medical if you are prepared to forego teh exotic amusement of driving minibuses etc.  and do it online - if you use proper postal methods they seem intent on ignoring your communication until the last possible moment - a very uncivil bunch of public 'servants'.

Hope all goes well with the next medical stage for Tony - radioactive tracers can be fun if being done for teh right thing.  I had some sort of radioactive stuff injected (from a lead lined hypodermic!!) and got to watch the results on a computer monitor - it;s like devising your own extremely personal 'star burst' style screen saver as the radioactive bits get onto clots of blood and bounce around the lungs on them.   My biggest interest, and a question worth asking, was in the half life of the stuff they shot into me and it was literally only a matter if a few hours (they said).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The brand name "Hoover" is very widely used in the UK generically for any vacuum cleaner but is not widely understood anywhere else.  I never heard it used in Australia.  The expression "to Hoover up" is simply "to vacuum" often suffixed with "the place".  

Has anyone written a thesis suggesting why some names, like Hoover, stick in certain places and not others while other names simply don't.  No-one ever goes to the Smeg or the Kelvinator for chilled food for example, nor do they flush the Shanks.  

However people do - or certainly used to  - talk about (excuse me) 'going to the crapper' so maybe said gentleman sold more of his sanitaryware than Shanks, or others. did of theirs.

https://www.thomas-crapper.com/The-History-of-Thomas-Crapper.html

Another one of course is the humble fridge which might indeed be a quick way of saying refrigerator but equally could be a shortening of Frigidaire which as an early manufacturer of the appliance often had their name used to describe any household refrigerator although that was mainly in the USA.  

Coming back to Britain there is of course a brand name used by the London Rubber Co on one their product ranges which was definitely in very common use at one time not too long ago to describe the article irrespective of who made it or what other LRC brand names it carried and instead of its correct name (which I suspect many people didn't even know).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5
  • Agree 10

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The first fridge my parents had was a Kelvinator. Dad bought it because his second cousin worked for Kelvinator in Adelaide.

And topically;

" The haggis was piped in by a piper from Ayr and piped out by Shanks of Barrhead. "

• Like 7
  • Funny 12

59 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Does the USA add more oomph to the stuff I used in the 1980s? It was more a case of water with a bit of petrol added in those day (89 octane)

Different rating systems Baz. The UK uses RON and the US uses AKI. 89 in the US is equivalent to 92 in the UK. In the "high plains" (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming etc) you can run on even lower octane gas because the air is less dense. The only reason to use higher octane is to prevent "engine knock" or "pinking". There's just as much energy content in the lower octane grades. The oil companies don't advertise that ;)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10

9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

He went on to describe the fascination in occasionally finding more to read - a notice pasted right in front of you referring to a Special Clinic.   

Black Street  - I remember those notices.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Another one of course is the humble fridge which might indeed be a quick way of saying refrigerator but equally could be a shortening of Frigidaire which as an early manufacturer of the appliance often had their name used to describe any household refrigerator although that was mainly in the USA.  

Early US parlance for the mechanical refrigerator was "Icebox" after the apparatus that it replaced. I doubt very much that the brand name Frigidaire had an influence on settling on refrigerator / fridge. The term refrigerator was contemporaneous with it's invention. Presumably there were enough competing suppliers for none to be the dominant brand and generic term.

Wikipedia has a long list of genericized trade marked brands in addition to the ones we might immediately think of (like Hoover, Kleenex, Xerox and Google.) It's also interesting how some (like Xerox) can lose currency they once had as a generic term.

Clearly when there is an overwhelmingly dominant supplier for a product (Band-Aid, Vaseline, Post-It) the brand is associated with the product. This can produce regional differences (Tipp-Ex v. Wite Out) depending on the dominating brand in that region. What it takes to get that kind of market recognition is the stuff that marketers dream of.

Some products never settle on a generic name. Carbonated soft drinks are a good example, regionally varying along the lines of soft drink, soda, soda pop, pop, and even cola and Coke where the latter is a brand name used as the generic for all carbonated soft drinks, not just colas.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

33 minutes ago, pH said:

I've just had a ride in my son's brand new Tesla Model 3. Quite the experience! Certain similarities with diesel railway locomotives - regenerative braking - and steam and electric locomotives - maximum torque at zero revs (!!). He showed me it in autopilot mode, but we agree that neither of us would be comfortable with that at the moment. 

He and his wife are keeping their existing car for a year or so to see how they feel about going completely electric. In the meantime, the Tesla will be used mainly 'locally', with that definition being gradually stretched. I have to say, I wouldn't be prepared to go electric yet. We did think about a hybrid when we were looking for a new car late last year, but decided to stay with a gas engine, at least for now. I'll watch with interest how son and daughter-in-law get on with the Tesla.

We considered getting an EV. Electric power (a lot of it hydroelectric) is so inexpensive here the "fuel" cost would be negligible but we chickened-out because of the high capital cost, concerns about range limitation and the need for four/all-wheel drive.

What I'd really like is EV version of a Fiat Spider with four motors. That would allow the torque to be controlled at each wheel which is something automotive engineers have been trying to do for a long time. I'm slightly surprised someone hasn't done that already but it's more than likely someone has and I just haven't been paying attention.

• Like 18