The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I will have to clear out my in-box more often, sometimes in a hurry things get forgotten, some of them from 2016! If there was any frost this morning it had disappeared quite quickly as there was no sign of it two hours ago.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare,

Some times you wonder about these spell chequers, it changed Temple to Templer and Hare to Hart, after never bothering before..

Yes these spill chuckers can be a pain.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

A friend of mine, after being made redundant, ended up in a smallish engineering firm in Hoddesdon.  He hated the place, as did most of the other employees - the Boss was a T*sser by all accounts (e.g. He took all the seats away from the workbenches - "I pay people to work, not to sit down").

No-one, apart from a couple of close friends in the place knew he was coming up to 65, and they were sworn to secrecy.  On his 65th birthday he walked into the office and handed in all his gubbins - pass, keys etc.  By all accounts the look of embarrassment on their faces was priceless when he announced he was 65 and now retired.  He picked up his toolbox and walked out the door....

They'll be in your Wallet.....

Nope...wallet has been fully checked 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Frosty earlier and some grey sky but it should stay dry with some sunny periods.

Late start here after a very hectic but enjoyable day yesterday with Nicki and the kids. Ate and probably drank too much but a great time was had by all.

Didn't get to watch any rugby so may do that today although I already know the results.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

We have a Beales, though for how much longer is a good question, likewise a Debenhams.  Talking of that chain, I found the voucher for £2 which I shall redeem against some handkerchiefs, assuming that they sell said commodity and that they are still open.   A strident denial of forthcoming closure appeared on the front page of the local rag this week but we shall see.

Just announced on the Radio:  Beales has collapsed into administration :(

Spend your voucher PDQ....

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, polybear said:

FireAngel by any chance?  I've lost count of the number of times I've phoned them for a replacement cos' the battery low indication started sounding, despite being no-where near ten years old.  No problems with them sending a replacement, though the last time they wanted the duff one sending back (at my expense) for checking.  I've a feeling that some of the replacement units have since played up too (I should've kept a check).

It wasn't that brand. But I may take a different approach to returning it. 

Switch the thing on again and waltz back into argos. :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

Greetings all from LBG where half the sky is blue and half is hidden by cloud and where it is distinctly cold out.

Belated condolences to Dave, and best wishes for recovery for Sherry and Sheila and Chris (and others too, no doubt). I hope that Tony's hospital visit is as brief as intended.

The weekend saw a visit to the ancestral home as it was my Dad's birthday. Good food and a little wine (I was driving) were had.

In other news the cake that Mrs Lurker had decreed I should acquire for her birthday is no longer produced so I shall have to consult as to suitable alternatives.

I suppose Andyram is also a little aggrieved at Derby being likely to lose points for the size of their financial losses, added to which they're bound to lose in the next round of the FA Cup to the mighty Cobblers... well actually, probably not, it's only the 4th time the Cobblers have progressed this far in the last 50 years!

In terms of place names reappearing, Sidcup largely escapes although I believe there is a Sidcup castle in Australia, and Foots Cray down the hill has given rise to Footscray, near Melbourne (Australia, not Derbyshire). Sydney was named after 1st Viscount Sydney, who lived at Frognal House, Sidcup. This is now in the grounds of Queen Mary's Hopsital Sidcup, where the Lurker boys were born.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

I suppose Andyram is also a little aggrieved at Derby being likely to lose points for the size of their financial losses, added to which they're bound to lose in the next round of the FA Cup to the mighty Cobblers... well actually, probably not, it's only the 4th time the Cobblers have progressed this far in the last 50 years!

In terms of the EFL charge. It is a strange one. As far as Derby County have stated, after the charge, and long before the charge was brought - the sale of the ground and the club's accounting policies were ratified by the EFL in writing. If something is passed by the body, how can they now say it is against the rules?  I somehow feel that the EFL have brought the charge to quieten the rowdy and bitter Mr Gibson of Middlesbrough. Hopefully it will be thrown out, but knowing our luck it probably won't!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

Evening all(it's dark outside it must be)postie brought me some swivels for sea fishing, so some rigs were tied ready for the next trip to the shore, hoping he might bring some weathering powders so I can continue making perfectly good items that move about on parallel bits of metal look old and dirty. Cold outside and little cloud, so despite the weather forecasters saying different I'm expecting a frost later, so the fires lit.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Afternoon all from a cool but clear and still sunny Charente. The sun is dropping and there is a lovely sunset to look at whilst I type.   Beth and I had a lovely drive out to the Cognac distillery  this morning. 17 miles and passed 3 cars and a lorry.  Monsieur  Balluet himself was opening up as we arrived. A good conversation was had and it would have been very rude to refuse the liquid breakfast that was offerred. It certainly warmed us up. Then back via the pharmacy and a coffee in our local bar.  This afternoon  Eric the digger (we have several Eric's around us) turned up with his telescopic loader with a man carrying platform on the front. 10 minutes later the 3 shutters were hung and I think they look quite nice.20200120_165448.jpg.5674769b7355c576570129452c11300c.jpg

8 down 11 to go.

Wood has now been fetched and a chicken and mushroom pie us in the oven. This nicely uses up the rest of yesterdays cluck bird.

Jamie

très chic

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening peeps

Another busy day laundry, coffee date which lasted 3hrs, dog visit, car wash it had turned grey so I thought it could do with a wash, a cup of coffee when I got in and Ms. America 

phoned 1.5hrs chatting about todays events she started her new job today and our date on Wednesday, dinner, now here at 7:15 and another pile of laundry to go in first thing tomorrow.

My show buddy is not attending Eastleigh so Saturday I will preen myself early for another dinner date with Ms. America she is cooking for me on Saturday evening at her home :wub:

Tomorrow the tiles in the kitchen will make their way to the dustbin I'm feed up looking at them and the noise of that will mask the drilling required to put a blind up at the window bought

ready cut to size, 6 hole and 10 minutes with a screwdriver and job's done bit of a pain I have to get permission to drill holes in the wall and it costs an admin fee every time I ask. 

I searched high and low for a pair of De-Walt safety glasses ended up buying a new pair and a fat Max folding Stanley knife I got feed up with the blade falling out of a 30 year old one. 

So its onwards and upwards and prep the kitchen for a smashing time:butcher:.          

:superman:     S. Mashitt- Ancrashitt    :biggrin_mini2:     

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3