The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's hardly surprising. About 90% of the people I meet claim Scottish ancestry ;)

Of course the other one is a great many claim to be descendants of someone who came over on the Mayflower which means it must have been bigger than the Titanic.

Based on online estimates there are 10 million living American descendants of the Mayflower passengers.  I'm pretty sure I am not one of them. (If you assume a positive population growth over four hundred years the numbers increase dramatically.)

Simple maths suggests that using a generation of 20 years and two progeny there could be a total of 50,000,000 descendants of ~50 couples with half that number in the current generation.

This year is the 400th anniversary of the New Plymouth settlement. I suspect there are a lot more descendants of the 1630 Puritan settlement in Boston.

I don't know about any having Scottish ancestors myself, though my mothers' paternal line has a Anglo mix of English and Irish ancestors (including Irish via Manchester).  She had long thought my grandfather's name was Scottish, but I don't think she and her sister (who have done a lot of research) could definitively determine that. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Decision was made and I had some porridge instead of the usual fry up.  It appears that the "lots to do" wasn't so much after all. The only thing left now is to actually cook the meal later. 

Three rugby matches watched and enjoyed yesterday (especially the Northampton game)  and I've got a couple more recorded so I may try and fit them in before we're invaded. With the latest news about Sarries being relegated at the end of the season I foresee some problems for their England players and England! I think there's about 11 in their squad. Wouldn't be surprised to see some going abroad now as most of the other clubs have fairly full squads themselves. 

Mind you the cynic in me says that if that happened the rules might get changed and England will then select players who play overseas!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning afternoon All

I clicked on at 7:45 and the phone went it was Lady Woking :wub: wanting my attention she had been on since 5:30 getting worried I would not answer she

openly admitted she had fallen head over heals bless her she is an American are the women Stateside like that, not bad 5 hours on and off texting most

of the morning she finally rang off having to taken a daughter somewhere, as well as 5 hours last night .

She said she wanted to go and have a romantic dinner :wub: somewhere so I booked Raymond Blanc's place near to where she lives my daughter sometimes manages

this restaurant when they are short staffed she likes it there having trained there when she first started to work for that company.   

I'd better do something as there is a bit of respite from the phone going off, I did tell her I was a railway buff and she was pleased I had a hobby she said she would like to tag along

if the chaps didn't mind.

Back Later glad Sherry is on the moved :good_mini:   ,:superman: C.A. Sanova :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Late on parade today due to some pressing domestic duties that needed doing. The weather had been foggy all day do far and it looks like it will be here all day. Its not a pea souper, but we can't see the school building that is normally visible from the kitchen window. There are more domestic duties in the pipeline for today, but I'll try to dipping in to keep abreast of what's going on. 

Back later 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evening All 

Been texting all day to lady Woking has extended our dates she has invited me to dinner Saturday even had a choice of menu she is clearly a loving woman

and wants to please me. :wub:

I managed to empty 5 more boxes today one of paperwork 2 of kitchen items I nick nacks and some clothing in another LW said she would like to help nothing

would get done if she turned up here. :maninlove: :wub:

Laundry , haircut , coffee date and Zeus tomorrow  and Lady W in the evening .

I'm retired and have no time to myself must try harder to become lazy. 

Washing up to do then TV :superman: Slipta  A Length :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, AndyB said:

<Rant mode on>

I bought a new smoke detector earlier in Janunary. Built in and sealed battery with a multi-year guarantee. You can't recharge or replace the battery. 

At 02.30 this morning after 3 weeks of useful operation it sprung in to life at gawd knows how many decibels to indicate that the battery was running low.

Now only fit for landfill.

I'm quite looking fwd to writing the review on this piece of carp!

<Rant over>

FireAngel by any chance?  I've lost count of the number of times I've phoned them for a replacement cos' the battery low indication started sounding, despite being no-where near ten years old.  No problems with them sending a replacement, though the last time they wanted the duff one sending back (at my expense) for checking.  I've a feeling that some of the replacement units have since played up too (I should've kept a check).

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Based on online estimates there are 10 million living American descendants of the Mayflower passengers.  I'm pretty sure I am not one of them. (If you assume a positive population growth over four hundred years the numbers increase dramatically.)

Simple maths suggests that using a generation of 20 years and two progeny there could be a total of 50,000,000 descendants of ~50 couples with half that number in the current generation.

I came over on a PAA 707 which took about eight hours.  A better way to go and we didn't add to the excess population:unsure:

Brian.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Away win for the Hawks 4-3 for a 10-6 aggregate score. 

Must look out for the final fixtures - this will be another two-leg match. Probably against Solihull in mid-Feb whilst Junior is away in the US and watching a NHL game with her cousin.

Have a good week folks - I will complete another orbit in a few days.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 19