The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

27 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I'm all for following a joint path to educate ourselves however in a former life, rank certainly was pulled by some to effect the award of privilege. And let's face it, we should never stop learning but it is difficult to convert the minds of some who see learning as an obstacle to doing something else at the time.

I've been doing it for too many years not to. It works. 

And that's not only from the results I get - it's the feedback  get in subsequent years they're here. And when you get someone saying "I got a job because of what you taught me" it's reward enough.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Why not change the Irish gauge to standard gauge and be done with it.  Probably cheaper than a bridge and its not like there is an extensive rail system there any more

Brian.

I don’t see that happening. The rail network is rather sparse in the border region but otherwise major towns are serviced. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I found that site very interesting and hadn't realised the limitations were....so limiting. I then ended up reading about that Aussie blackout, windmill assisted.

I ask the question - "Where does power come from on a windless night with a calm sea at high tide?"

• Like 8
  • Agree 7

54 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I forbid them from calling me anything except John. I just don't answer to anything else. In doing this I'm trying to persuade them that they're here as an equal learner rather than a pupil where they're taught. They have to learn, and want to. It's my job to enable them to do that.

I'm pondering why Desiderata entered my mind as I read this!

11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I ask the question - "Where does power come from on a windless night with a calm sea at high tide?"

Hydroelectric or batteries!

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Arggghhh more Vikings!!!  The MacNeill clan, the main clan of Barra was always though to be of Irish /Gaelic descent,  but when many were DNA tested they were be mostly of Viking origin... 

As were the Normans who came over in 1066.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Mrs SE has just been making favourable comments about a red and cream banana shaped thingy on rails marketed by a company near Wrexham that was up on my computer screen.

Should I strike whilst the iron is hot and get the Stourbridge-allocated one to keep its mate from the previous batch company or will that lead to me stopping the hot iron in its tracks?

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Should I strike whilst the iron is hot and get the Stourbridge-allocated one to keep its mate from the previous batch company or will that lead to me stopping the hot iron in its tracks?

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

• Agree 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

There is sonething similar for France. Last time I looked, it was st least  75% nuclear. I 've now found the link

https://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/eco2mix-mix-energetique-en

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Have they exhausted the possibilities of in-breeding? :jester: 

If they have just send them to the upper Spen Valley. It's a game for all the family to play.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a wet and windy Estuary-Land. It seems to have blown the lurgi away but just in case I'll continue with the Lem-sip/Caledonian falling down water tonight.

12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There will be loads of energy when Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. 

But we won't be around to see it as it will be how many billion years in the future? As I understand it earth and the solar system will be gone as well by then. Its not strictly true that we will not be there of course as we will all be there as interstellar dust.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

All the answers https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

You'll get something like this

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 21.34.45.png

What is frightening to me is our dependence upon interconnectors. In a civilised world we can get along but we only need a politician to throw a dummy out of his or her pram and our lights go out. French, Dutch and the newer NEMO interconnectors rely upon the rest of Europe getting Gasprom natural gas to sate their needs and leave enough to sell to the UK. The Gretas of this world are yet to recognise that.

Edited by Kingzance
Pram replaces pray!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I was lucky again with the weather today! After I’d given the drawer fronts their first coat of paint, I measured up for the under cupboard plinths and then once again set up my workbench and set to cutting some wood. The cupboards both came with a shelf, but as I’ve fitted drawers, these were redundant. The larger shelf was big enough to make the 2 side pieces, whilst the smaller shelf was big enough to make to 2 front pieces. So these were marked out and cut up, clips fitted and they are now in place under the cupboards. Whilst I was fitting the final clips it started to rain, so once again, like yesterday I managed to dodge it! It was getting quite blustery by mid morning, thankfully I was just packing up at the time. By the time did finished for the day, all 5 drawers have had 2 coats of primer/undercoat on both sides, whilst the edges have all had 4 coats. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to add some top coat on them.

Goodnight all 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

We have a nephew who has a farm just inland from Lake Huron, south of Bruce nuclear. There are a lot of windmills up there. 

He was telling us that the contract signed to let them put a windmill on your farm is so restrictive that you need permission to put up an outhouse on the farm.

He has no intention of letting them on his farm, but a lot of the neighbours have.

Edited by BR60103
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brianusa said:

Why not change the Irish gauge to standard gauge and be done with it.  Probably cheaper than a bridge and its not like there is an extensive rail system there any more

Brian.

I have not had much sleep. But am I missing something here?

If no bridge and no through rail traffic, what would be the benefit in changing the Irish gauge?

• Agree 4