The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I know many ERs are deeply upset by the effects the bushfires are having on native wildlife, particularly the gentle koala.

Here is a ray of humour in the despair, provided by a Scottish journo, and an old tale!!

Hope the video transfers across..Chris F. this one's for you!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-13/uk-journalist-pranked-into-holding-a-drop-bear-during-bushfires/11863942

Cheers from West Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

Greetings all from a cold and grey LBG.

The weekend past was a quiet one - just the usual round of swimming lessons and household chores, plus trying to motivate Elder Lurker to apply for apprenticeships -with some minor success.

In some ways I quite like seeing wind turbines - like giants striding across the hills. I suspect Don Quixote might have tilted in the opposite direction if they had been around in La Mancha back then....

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The visual impact of wind turbines against a landscape that we older citizens know/remember/love is why there is in part a reluctance to accept them. This also applies in a seascape but perhaps to a lesser extent. We elderly also recognise more than ever that there is presently a terrific waste of energy that is quietly / deliberately ignored. Our ever expanding populations are demanding more than ever in terms of energy. As I have said elsewhere, marine wind farms create a sort of Marine Conservation Zone in their own way and fishing boats are rightly excluded from them. As a long-time rural living person, I have seen in detail how the "sales pitch" made by land wind farm proponents differs hugely from the eventual reality of what is provided with, in many cases, the applicants wishing the whole application to go to appeal so that the local planning authority gets no say in the final terms. We should remember too that where refuse tips were installed, the local communities could apply for grants to support the local community. That didn't happen with the renewable energy industry when I was close those applications.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

45568, thank you so much for posting that video!  In desperate situations a little humour goes a long way.

We should remember always that it is not just humans whose habitats have been destroyed by the horrendous fires.  Dropping carrots and sweet potatoes for the other surviving wildlife is a very good start but finding sufficient supplies of eucalyptus leaves for even the severely reduced koala population is bound to be problematic.  With any luck the penny is beginning to drop as to just how desperate the situation is.

Chris

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sir Patrick, still supporting from beyond the grave? ( Died 09 Dec 12)

And thereby 'reducing' to the 'nucleus'  nuclear state and therefore still supporting.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Why are they dreadful?

Because the proponents do not take any notice of local objections and always take to appeal.  They are also ugly. 

HMG wants us all to go to EV but without nuclear power there is no way that the amount of electricity required will be possible.

On another take I seem to remember that someone has published a paper on a battery type that costs almost next to nothing but a comment on it stated that commercial interests would make sure that it would be squashed and never be put into action.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

They are also ugly. 

That is in the eye of the beholder, I have no objection to them & quite like to sit & watch them turn, very therapeutic although I would not want the shadow coming across my lounge window.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Don’t know about commercial interests stifling batteries. EoN are publicising their solar and battery combos. Not available in my area yet but I am on their waiting /further information list. They do a solar/ battery/ car charger combination too. 
Elon Musk is developing domestic storage  batteries too as well as his cars and rockets. BP seem to be in my social media mainly for renewables now. 
Landscapes change, gasometer, cooling towers, railways too, disappear. We get windmills. I really don’t mind. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The Magnox B powerstation  at Bradwell (our nearest) will be a nuclear power monument for about 70 to 100 years. The fuel has gone somewhere else and the remainder had been covered in cladding. Demolition to begin in 70 years. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

32 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Because the proponents do not take any notice of local objections and always take to appeal.  They are also ugly.

I used to live near to Dungeness Power Station - That isn't exactly an oil painting either.  Personally, I'd rather have wind turbines.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The fuel has gone somewhere

Probably Sellafield.  Which itself will be a huge problem for future generations.

I believe building 30 (better known as "dirty 30") is the most polluted industrial site in Western Europe, and they still haven't got a clue what to do about it.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

After all the horror about Australia and the bush fires, here is something from today's daily Mail:

Just to show that Australians never lose their sense of humour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7880297/ITV-News-Asia-correspondent-Debi-Edward-pranked-drop-bear.html

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Good morning Awl from a decidedly very wet Piedmont, it is pouring down quite hard. Hard enough that my morning p travel/shopping plans have changed to "sit at home"! :biggrin_mini: Someone once said/sang "Cry me a river"; well here it is in my yard :clapping_mini::

562013468_201904jul19heavyrain-02.JPG.8d1cedba705588b1736fa22c15d2cc78.JPG

I thought I knew what rain was until I went to the USA. A couple of downpours in Texas and New Hampshire were impressive. To be honest the NH one was on top of Mt Washington (advertised as world’s worst weather)  .  I  have just remembered one in Germany too, visibility was very limited. We pulled off into a rest area , people driving incredibly fast continued, I don’t know how they could see. Lots of pile ups evident after we restarted.  
Tony

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, pH said:

Oh, I don't know. A Barra-Mingulay tunnel could be a real moneyspinner.

According to a report in this morning’s paper there are 20 pregnancies on Barra.  This is two and a half times the UK rate. Perhaps they do need the chance to get out more.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Sir TH, I have come to accept the fact that many most people consider me quite strange! :crazy_mini:

That’ll be down to all those blood stains.

• Funny 17

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sir Patrick, still supporting from beyond the grave? ( Died 09 Dec 12)

Possibly, although i was really referencing   James Lovelock.

Wind Turbines. . We have lots of them in County Durham . . but then . . we grew up with things spinning in the air . . . 

They just replaced the pit-heads.

John

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Virgin Media done it's usual, a conversation with the call center in India I could not understand a bloody word Mr. Gupta said 

I kept telling him to slow down they must be on bonus on customers numbers spoken too, Bloody blimmy memsahib. :jester: 

Howdens kitchen planner was here today she said what a nice flat it is, will be better once all the work has been done just a lick of paint

would improve things the white ceilings are grey.

Onwards and upwards I suppose there is no let up until the work is complete I am calling in favours for the painting I'm going to have a painting party

soon, if the flat doesn't get painted we can get p!ssed instead. :drinks: 

I've a very attractive lady :spruceup: for a coffee date tomorrow better iron a shirt and trousers and polish the shoes. :wub:

Caffeine is called for its been a long day again. :superman: Maxwell Haus  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

The channel between Scotland and Ireland is about 100m deep. The English channel is about 34 metres. They filled up at very deferent times after the last Ice Age, which is why there are no snakes in Ireland - they hadn't reached what was to become mainland UK before Ireland became an Island.

People proposing the bridge or tunnel do not seem to be engineers.

Plus there's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort's_Dyke  in the North Channel, parallel to the Rhins of Galloway. It's considerably deeper than 100 metres. Also, it contains some 'interesting' stuff - https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14820042-200-danger-from-the-deep/ . Then, there's the question of how people and things would get to this crossing. As someone has said earlier, the A75 is not the greatest road (neither is the A77), the Port Road is long gone, and would single-track Ayr-Stranraer be able to handle significantly more traffic? 

Edited by pH
Add A77 comment
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 5