The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi is still in retreat but theres still a sniffy nose and now a ticklish cough. I have comunicated with my energy supplier re the absent gas meter recordings and await developements though from past experience I'm not holding my breath. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just done my BP, on Friday it was 165/97.

Just now 133/85, it's been dropping all weekend,  it will be interesting tomorrow night after the stress of work... 

Bye for now..

When Mrs SE went for a check-up the nurse was surprised at how high her blood pressure was. That was probably because said person gives the air of total incompetence and was running 20 minutes late. Previously she had put me down as having various problems that others subsequently couldn't find any trace of.

in a week of tests at home at times when Mrs SE was relaxed and not under any stress the average over 12 readings came down to about 124/80.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk of blood pressure and with my impending visit this week to the hospital I thought I should check mine. I think the medics will increase my most recent medication as the small dose does seem to have reduced my BP and pulse rate a bit as hoped. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The real issue I see is of storage - of power made by wind and photovoltaics, for the night and in quiet periods - we need a big battery.  Pumped storage?

One option is to liquify nitrogen. It can be used to convert waste heat into useful energy by driving a turbine.

Another option is to produce liquid hydrogen which can be used in fuel-cell EVs among other things.

Neither of these are efficient processes but they are still a lot better than failing to capture energy that otherwise would be lost.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I was trying to work out the diameter of the wire but I suppose it depends on how many MW they are willing to use to heat the Irish Sea when the cable is working at max load.

It is the longest submarine AC cable in the world.  All the longer ones are DC. I didn’t even know about DC submarine cables until a few years ago when I read something about the Scottish Islands. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is the longest submarine AC cable in the world.  All the longer ones are DC. I didn’t even know about DC submarine cables until a few years ago when I read something about the Scottish Islands. 

Snap - although it was the New Zealand one that came to my attention when i was researching rectifiers - damn big ones in that case!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, AndyID said:

One option is to liquify nitrogen. It can be used to convert waste heat into useful energy by driving a turbine.

Another option is to produce liquid hydrogen which can be used in fuel-cell EVs among other things.

Neither of these are efficient processes but they are still a lot better than failing to capture energy that otherwise would be lost.

I had read about hydrogen that seems very appropriate - didn't know about nitrogen liquifaction and its uses.

• Like 11

There are technological solutions to solve problems with intermittent renewable generation. Many latent heat solutions are feasible as part of a solution. All that is required is to actually start doing it. The most effective solutions will become apparent.

The problem is overcoming the inertia of the status quo.  It's really not even cost. Our history since the industrial revolution has many examples of technical infrastructure being implemented because people decided it was necessary and simply found the money to implement it.

In my opinion, the biggest thing that needs to flip is the centralized generation model to a distributed generation model. 

Small (relatively) unobtrusive cylinder wind turbines are readily available for widespread, distributed power generation where solar power might not be the best choice.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

More boxes emptied and a home found for the contents man cave re-arranged and made more space to get some of the railway stuff out of the lounge and into the cave at least I can

now close all the doors, laundry tidied away more to do tomorrow and repaired a broke sink chain to get rid of the string holding it together some people are heathens the way they live.

A made to measure roller blind was ordered for the kitchen window @ 42 quid, it's £200 to do the other 3 windows with ready made venetian blind in an oak finish. 

Still it's time for tv and a drink I shall be watching Vera tonight.

B. Oxwatcha

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I had read about hydrogen that seems very appropriate - didn't know about nitrogen liquifaction and its uses.

I suspect that the necessary technologies for power production and storage are yet to be invented. It has long been known that fossil fuels were a finite resource (I even featured on radio in the 70’s regarding this topic) and will soon be, for this and eco-reasons, a thing of the past.  Sadly, given  that most economies are driven by profit and ‘market forces’ it is unlikely that money will be spent on the necessary research until existing resources are very nearly exhausted or the possible alternatives are more profitable. There are some that would argue that this is the best/only way the the necessary new technologies will be achieved.  Enough of poly ticks I say.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, BoD said:

I suspect that the necessary technologies for power production and storage are yet to be invented.

Plenty of them have been invented. Improvements in efficiency, cost, reliability and endurance will be made with wider deployment but we're not lacking for concepts. Approaches with the highest efficacy will become evident.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Plenty of them have been invented. Improvements in efficiency, cost, reliability and endurance will be made with wider deployment but we're not lacking for concepts. Approaches with the highest efficacy will become evident.

The Orkney Islands have more renewable energy than they can use. IIRC they make liquid hydrogen which fuels suitably adapted IC engines in cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Basically a steam-engine running on nitrogen rather than water. Liquid nitrogen boils at -196C so it can suck a lot of energy from low-grade heat sources. People have tried to power vehicles using it to capture atmospheric heat but that doesn't really work, but if you have waste heat from say an IC engine it can make a big difference to the overall efficiency. You can also use it as a way to capture braking energy in vehicles.

I think the railroads could use it as a means to reduce fuel consumption to cross mountain ranges like The Rockies. They could make a lot of liquid nitrogen on the way back down!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Seattle too is bracing for snow. Brian in Gig Harbor mentioned this the other day.

So far the prognosticators don't believe the deep cold from the Arctic air mass will make it this far south, (though we are on the edge of it) but may set up for snow here on Wednesday. We will have low altitude snow (around 1,000') tomorrow. Mountain snow has been very heavy.

As yet the lowest temperatures forecast for Portland are in the -4°C range mid-week and much will depend on the direction of a low pressure system off the coast of Oregon which may bring a small amount of snow (2cm - 8cm) or possibly 15cm depending on how it moves.

Latest weather update from Gig Harbour.  Clear, cold with a light wind which means the atmosphere is crystal clear.  Is this the calm before the storm?:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In my opinion, the biggest thing that needs to flip is the centralized generation model to a distributed generation model.

With all due respect to Mr Tesla it might make a lot of sense to revert to high-voltage DC for a lot of power transmission, even to homes. AC did make sense but electronics have rendered it slightly redundant.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It seems that half the UK coast now has a forest of offshore windmills visible.  Or at night a mass of red lights.  I'm not sure whether I like the view but compared with the prospect of ongoing coal or oil generation of the power which allows me to type this then I suppose it's a price worth paying.  

There are the huge reservoirs just west of us here which could have solar panels fitted.  And there is the alleged huge waste of money which is the Hayle wave hub connected to a land base in my adopted home town in west Cornwall and which has yet, apparently, to generate any power whatsoever.  There are plenty of solar farms down there; steep hillsides and higher rates of insolation (see map above) help to make those viable not overlooking the rental some farmers receive as a boost to their income for stationing solar panels - and sometimes wind turbines - on their land.  

Roast cow was enjoyed for dinner though I must confess to a viewing preference other than Call The Midwife whilst dining.  SWMBO has always sat on the sofa watching the idiot-tube at dinner unless we have guests or there is another reason to sit at the table such as a particularly sloppy and easily-spilled meal.  I invariably dine at the table.  Maybe I was brung up more proper.  Or maybe just in a different tradition.   

Either way the weekend is over and eyelid inspection is required.  The House of Fun awaits in the morning and with a major engineering occupation throughout the weekend on the main lines I may wake to find we are unable to run a Monday morning service if the Gentlemen of the Orange Army have been unable to vacate the permanent way in time.  

Sleep well.  Best wishes to one and all.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18