The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Lurgi is still making itself felt but if I keep battering it it should eventually submit.

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Mine will be 3877, a Toton loco obviously on a through freight to Heysham.  Mind you if you look at my layout thread I also have several Lina ones which havd been 'breathed on' by a friend but I class them as 3.5F's as they are a bit underscale. I'm obviously being very brave as I'm not sure whether awls can cross the Channel.

Jamie

Can awls fly? If they can I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 81C said:

Evening All 

I wanted a £2.50 t key off ebay easier said than done should have taken 3 minutes had to change the address on ebay & pay pal, change all the cards details for both and google pay,

disarm the autofill and reload it with the correct details Google shut me down twice for security checks, the g-mail account got shut down for more bloody security checks the phone

was going mad with security codes must have taken at least an hour, no easy fix when you move home for on-line buying I must have done 30 suppliers including the likes of Screwfix

still it's all done apart from B and Q their on-line is carp and they never answer the bloody phone.   

G.R.Eatfunn 

We had fun with that. Ebay won't alliw deliveries to 3rd party addresses so I get postage to France added automatically.  Barclaycard didn't like us having an address in France, they gave me a list of countries that were allowed, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey and IOM.  I said, "It's OK to live in a tax haven (apologies to NHN) But not in a country with a tax treaty with the UK.  The girl obviously didn't understand  irony.  They just cancelled the card.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening.

A good day in Reading despite it all being my fault that my other half didnt buy the coat in the morning (to carry around all day) and it had sold out by the afternoon.

However my biggest issue is that getting to Redhill station and we couldnt get down the steps in the subway because all the fare dodgers saw the barrier manned so turned around and went back out the exit via platform 3 that is hardly ever manned. Only genuine passengers without tickets get caught. The ticket office was also closed. What a bonkers system and why I HAVE ZERO REPSECT FOR ANY TRAIN OPERATOR or DaFT (Worse than estate agents), yet their staff I do have respect as they are only doing what they are told. No wonder the GW Worms are getting graffitied and full of beggers. Although in this case our train was a GWR service with a guard on board who we never saw all the way from Reading. Even Reigate station has barrier staff  in the closed ticket office with the barrier on the other platform left open.

What a mad railway system we have these days.

EDIT

Suitable  (toned down) email gone off to Southern but don't expect a coherent response from them so prepared for another suitable reply.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening awl - and there is sufficient wind outside here now to transport an awl in a generally southerly direction so beware Jamie, you could be challenged by Beth and The Great Awl. Tasks darntheroad mostly completed so the morrow will hopefully see me trundle over to either Stevie Nidge or to St Evenage, not yet decided :lol:

A well-matured curry based on vegetables and chicken has been consumed with a smaller than normal portion of basmati - I’m saving going semi-Keto until we return from Austria later in the month (God willing) but am trying to get the digestion system acclimatised to a reduced input anyway - no bacon sarnies if I make CMRA!

SWMBO is gently roasting in front of the wood burner whilst watching yet another repeated and extremely far fetched Midsomer Murders. No doubt that will be followed by other weird talentless competitions for aspiring z-grade celebrities. Time to make a decent muggercoffee, laters.....

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Evening all,

Today was spent almost entirely at the St. Evenage show.

Managed to secure a place in the car park near to the main entrance. Gave up on the first parking space I'd carefully reversed into when it became obvious the spaces were rather narrow and the SUVs parked either side meant I could barely open my doors let alone get out of them.

Plenty to see at the show and several l****ts were worthy of note. Resisted temptation to expend tokens on anything muddling related. 

Despite the venue having reasonable catering facilities, it seems they had massively underestimated demand and had sold out of anything worth having well before 1pm. Our party made the decision to decamp to the nearby Greggs* where one of their famous vegan sausage rolls (apparently made using real vegans) was sampled. Verdict: surprisingly good.

One of our number who had never used them before was staggered at how much he got for his £4.35.

Back home for several large muggerteas and earlyish night listening to the wind outside.

* No connection other than as a satisfied customer. Other sandwich shops/food-on-the-go type places are available but frankly they're a rip off by comparison.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Today's drive to the Trafford Centre, was funded by GMEV, whom paid for our travel costs with free electricity from their charging point; we were there first at the row of six bays in the West car park this morning, when we returned after lunch the other bays were all occupied by various models of gorgeous Teslas, yet another cheerily waving their arrival, as we departed.......this E.V malarky is catching on. :rolleyes:

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

We had fun with that. Ebay won't alliw deliveries to 3rd party addresses so I get postage to France added automatically.  Barclaycard didn't like us having an address in France, they gave me a list of countries that were allowed, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey and IOM.  I said, "It's OK to live in a tax haven (apologies to NHN) But not in a country with a tax treaty with the UK.  The girl obviously didn't understand  irony.  They just cancelled the card.

Jamie

It would be nice if there were simple security system instead of constantly adding passwords that are easily forgotten.  Even checked boxes offer no relief as some companies seem to forget you as soon as you sign off. Literally!  Even frequently used sites such as EB or PP  aren't immune; FB which is hardly used seems to hold up OK.  Security is paramount for sure but it would be nice if it were more simply accessed, in a 'secure' manner, of course!:unknw_mini:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

* No prizes for identifications, but what was the other loco running on BR which had a number consisting of the same digit five times?

(Sorry Sir, wasn't my fault, 'e started it)

Can't resist a quiz question!

Drewry 0.6.0 shunter 11111, (under original diesel numbering).

Good morning 05.00 hrs, from West Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It would be nice if there were simple security system instead of constantly adding passwords that are easily forgotten. 

Brian, be very careful what you ask for.

Would you like to be chipped?

There are companies that "encourage" their employees to be chipped for building access. Serious proponents talk of the benefits of storing medical records in a chip. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

Evenin'

Not as much up an' at 'em as I'd hoped, but I did get to the opticians, DEFine and some decorating done.

A quick trip to the 'local' whilst oven on auto timer cooked mi dinner and now sitting belly up browsing RMWeb and the bay of E.

In case I don't check back, have a peaceful and restful night.

See you in the morning. :)

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Later in the afternoon from the Piedmont and a huge bag of modeling tokens later, the new water heater is installed. I was getting tired of cold water sponge baths!! :mad: The two plumbers were very professional and I would deal with that company again.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

...snip... * No prizes for identifications, but what was the other loco running on BR which had a number consisting of the same digit five times? ...snip...

Not BR but Pennsylvania RR; they had a boxcar series 12nnnn, one car carried the road number 123456. I remember someone used that number from a decal sheet got "spoken to" about being too lazy to cut up the sheet for a "proper" number. The next meeting he brought in a photo of the prototype car. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 8
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

No apol needed Jamie - we have the same tax agreement with the UK.  As I often say, it's all a fallacy.  The worst place for tax fraud - the City of London.

We seem to have a Houdini Red Panda at the wildlife park - it has just been caught after escaping for the second time.  As for the security arrangements of the enclosures, I suspect someone is in for an ar$e kicking.

These EV getting free electrickery is causing an outcry here, as the local taxpayers (at council - commissioners to us - level) are stumping up for it - prepare for a backlash locally.

Mrs NHN going to extra archery tomorrow so mudelling time extended, I may weather my other hand this week, ahem.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

These EV getting free electrickery is causing an outcry here, as the local taxpayers (at council - commissioners to us - level) are stumping up for it - prepare for a backlash locally.

What is the average daily mileage for a commuter on the IOM?  One wonders what the cumulative cost would actually be?

As Tip O'Neill (47th US speaker of the house) sagely pronounced, "all politics is local", but this is pretty funny. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2020 at 18:01, leopardml2341 said:

EoN are the supplier (who were) pestering me.

They also, eventually, revealed that they could not confirm whether the meter that would be fitted was one of the second generation of smart meters (“SMETS2” meters) which should allow households to switch supplier without losing smart functionality.

Note that the statement about SMETS2 metres only says 'should' too.

If they cannot guarantee the latest SMETS2 then cancel. If it is one of the 'old' ones and you change your supplier you will have to pay for the 'new' one as the 'old' one will probably not respond appropriately.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not BR but Pennsylvania RR; they had a boxcar series 12nnnn, one car carried the road number 123456

I think the LMS and BR(LMR) were the only British examples of five consecutive increasing numbers. 

There was Aspinal 0-6-0 No. 12345 on the LMS and Jubilee No. 45678 on BR.

Going the other way BR(E) had a ex-GE Holden J15 0-6-0 No. 65432

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

Our road association guy called at 9 am to tell me our snowplow guy's truck had lost reverse gear and could I help clear the road. Unfortunately the snow had turned to rain which made it rather heavy going on the tractor but I got it done and got soaked in the process. Then I took Shona for the circuit and got even wetter. Slightly tired now.

Edited by AndyID
Predict this!
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Mine is taking on the identity of the only steam loco to carry a five-digit number with all five being the same*. Came to Walsall c1954 from Edgeley where it was sometimes known as 'City of Adswood' for its exploits on the trip workings from Adswood Sidings. It then moved to my nearest shed Monument Lane and Aston before ending its days at Springs Branch.

* No prizes for identifications, but what was the other loco running on BR which had a number consisting of the same digit five times?

(Sorry Sir, wasn't my fault, 'e started it)

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Can't resist a quiz question!

Drewry 0.6.0 shunter 11111, (under original diesel numbering).

Good morning 05.00 hrs, from West Oz,

Peter C.

Ah. And there was I assuming 66 666. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

If our awl wielder is of a mind to, does the "Debs Skunk Works" happen to have any hypersonic awls under development? If it has then ..you can't run and you can't hide...:jester:

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13