The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, AndyB said:

There was a nice sight from the office window today - QM2 moored up. Better than some of the floating skyscrapers that we see.

It goes quite well too. It isn’t the largest cruise ship but the Captain did say it is the largest ocean liner. I suppose some people would complain that it doesn’t seem to be affected by Atlantic storms but having been in one on board QM2 it is quite nice not to be thrown about. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

and from my last in-patient session last October, I want a full review of my medication.

I don’t know if it is a service offered by all NHS areas but round here pharmacies are quite keen to offer a medication review. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Nothing of note to report, well nothing I can think of.  I do commend considerable care in going through paperwork left by our forebears and clearly my dad did the same when his dad died because I same across correspondence between my grandfather and the church commissioners complaining loudly about the tithes they were exacting on his agricultural output. (yes folks tithes were still levied by the C of E well into the interwar period).  However he clearly achieved a much quicker victory when claiming against the LNER for one their engines destroying parts of his crop of, I think, wheat due to the injudicious spreading of sparks across his field next to the LNER main line.

As far as the water bill is concerned we get a reduction (of not a vast amount) for not putting surface water into their drains.  We don't seem to suffer shortages around here but perhaps if we did I could sell them some from my 5,000 litre rainwater storage tank; it wouldn't be easy to get any out of the soakaways which other gutters drain into.  incidentally we are a little unusual I suspect in having separate mains drainage for rain/surface water apart from the mains draining for less pleasant household output.

Enjoy teh rest of your day/evening one and all

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know if it is a service offered by all NHS areas but round here pharmacies are quite keen to offer a medication review. 

Mine periodically offer it but it seems to be more of 'do you know why you're taking these drugs' than 'do you need them'.

I've just checked my repeat request for methotrexate (MTX) (ran out on Wednesday, requested Thursday) and, for the third time it has been refused (although a second request 24hrs later has previously been accepted). Rheumatology clinic Monday morning. Words will be said.

Since my last entry (I'll refrain from "my last post"!) on here, I've tried renewing my PPC on-line; it refused me since my current one does not expire until later this month.

Sierra Oscar Delta India Tango!

Whilst I was an in-patient (2018 and 2019), they would not write me up for MTX.

Thought: get my 2 month supply of the usual drugs before PPC expires and (if necessary) buy one script of MTX meantime at £9.00. Saves me £20.10 on a 3 month renewal of a PPC which I only need for 2 months.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

For those contemplating  a Smart Meter, during the installation process please make sure you unplug ALL sensitive equipment first; the installer warned me to unplug TV, PC, Laptop etc. etc. - which I did.

The Fridge Freezer didn't even occur to me (or him).  Guess what wouldn't fire up when supplies came back on line after the new meter was fitted....

It was a Frost Free jobbie, so had microprocessor whatsits on the control board. 

I was realistic enough to realise that the chances of a successful claim were somewhat less than knitting fog :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I use a substance called Oust to de-scale my kettle and very effective it is too. Also it is available in most supermarkets. I usually have to descale my kettle every other month.  My paternal grandmother spent her last years living in Thornton Heath, GDB's and a couple of other ER's neck of the woods. The water was so hard that an electric kettle would only last for about three months before it was so scaled up that it had to be thrown away. Oust can also be used on coffee makers and steam irons. The main ingredient is formic acid that is the stuff that makes stinging nettles sting and is also squirted by ants.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

For descaling purposes, any of Lactic Acid, Citric Acid or Acetic Acid will work, the former is generally the quickest. Citric Acid is available in powder form and can be sent through our postal system. The more aggressive mineral acids like Sulphuric, Nitric and Hydrochloric are far more difficult to handle safely.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7