The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

.......it's cold.  In fact there was snow this morning on Snaefell Mrs NHN reported - therefore local bred folk all panicking. Happens every year #sigh# 

Isn't Snaefell Norse for Snow Mountain? I wonder why that is then??

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Q - lessons to use a sphyg?  it's not hard! Put on arm, line up dot on collar with crook of arm, press button!

Perhaps the one Q is getting, like mine doesn’t have a dot on the collar!

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Indeed it is at 2036 feet, but it doesn't often snow here.  The road is at 1500 feet (there are 'plane shaped holes on hills around here) so it gets a bit but here at NHN towers we are at 90 feet ASL and have had only two significant snowfalls in 18 years!   As a Geordie, I and Cornish Mrs NHN are well skilled at negotiating snowy roads, the locals here are....useless.  Simply appalling. One flake and they're in full panic.

As one who can fairly claim to be of the Silver Surfer age, you have just given me enough ammunition to rail (no, not the type that brings out The Awl) against “bl@@dy snowflakes” :lol:

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi is still trying to hang on by its fingertips but I think I've got it beat. Had a good evening at SEERS though it was a bit crowded being the first time the test track was up after Christmas and a lot of people wanted to test their new presents. I did manage to get a slot to test my new locomotive which ran superbly.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Enjoyed our meal with youngest Herbert tonight.a Karalian banquet..lovely but..no curried fish...

Then a meet up with some club members to set the world to rights and drink  "Landlord Dark" a new name for RamTam.

Sleep well all!!

Baz.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

I wonder if I should keep schtum about my involvement in the development of smart meters? Mind you that was mainly about making the meters transmit their consumption record to a "drive-by" reader or a relay network. The electronics were not not all that smart either. To keep the cost down they only had one transistor that was used both for transmit and receive!

Our electric meter is so equipped. The electricity co-op sends a van round every month to do a drive-by read.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Plenty of progress has been made in the cellar. After much measuring and re-measuring both 2 desk top pieces have been cut, joined together and finally fitted in place. The drawer fronts have also been measured and marked up and are now ready for cutting, but the afternoons rain, although only light, put paid to actually cutting them out, hopefully this will be done before the end of the week. I also made a frame to hold up the rear of the desk top, otherwise it would have been unsupported. The missing bag of fittings for the drawer arrived this morning via the postman, so I was also able to finish fitting the drawer runners. The final piece of the jigsaw will be to fit boards below the cupboards, once again these will require measuring and cutting. 

Below is a photo of the current state of play, clearly showing the frontless drawers and the legs of the cupboards. 

5ABDD351-BB28-42F6-B465-734BC8269FE4.jpeg.46a02d926adedd742d29d0c775effb59.jpeg

Goodnight all

I'm intrigued - what's the gadget that (appears) to be dangling thru' the ceiling in the top right of the photo, possibly with lots of brown string attached.....

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1