The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi is still in retreat, now down to the odd sniffle and cough. I might chance going to the SEERS meeting tonight if I feel any better. Tea is awaiting, be back later.

• Like 18

After dropping SWMBO off in Montrose I decided on a couple of hours muddling, a cold wind but a bit of sunshine and a fan heater made working in The Old Summer House acceptable. I'm still playing around with dry powders just now, then need some more colours and a suitable liquid to add bulk to the muck in places. Todays example needs some red for rust on it's nether regions.

DSC02658.JPG

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Golf was played - not too brilliant.

Weather was dry up top and soggy below after the heavy overnight rain.

Just as I was finishing the round, a tr@!n passed by with some w@g0ns that I am doing a m0d£l of.

So a quick change and nip up the local cement works where the w@g0ns were just been shunted in. Pics duly snapped for weathering reference.

Result with a flight pricing "watchdog". Returns to New York for less than £245 each for me and Mrs NB later in the year. The basic flight cost is £1 - the rest is made up of taxes and surcharges including a United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA) of £3.

I was considering querying this as neither of us intend to take plants or animals.........................

There is a checked baggage charge, but we'll use the free carry on for the outbound and buy a bag out there to put the goodies in for return and have a checked bag one way only

Looking like a  result with the energy supplier. When the new tariff kicks in 4 weeks we will be able to apply for the refund without any problem - or so they say. So that's the bulk of the holiday provisionally paid for.

I am looking a locations of US model shops - Mrs NB is looking at "things to do/places to see"

Stuff to do, tea to eat.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

52 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I am looking a locations of US model shops - Mrs NB is looking at "things to do/places to see"

Where exactly will you be?

There is Trainworld in Brooklyn, 751 McDonald Ave., Brooklyn, right next to a Subway only a few stops out of Manhattan.

I've visited their branch on Long Island close to where I "toil" and it's pretty large/extensive, although pretty much devoid of ANY UK outline stuff.

They do sell PECO track though, but that'd be like taking coals to Newcastle ;)

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings 

The Dog made me laugh he hates the rain but stayed out when it p!ssed down he finally came in I tried to dry him off with a towel he snatched that out of my hands and off he ran no doubt the towel 

will be in shreds when my daughter gets home later, I went to the bank to see about a savings account the young lady explained every thing and I came home and done it all on line then transferred the money,

one thing I notice she had her legs crossed and was swing around on her chair displaying her crutch to me.

E. Yeswideopen   :-)

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Where exactly will you be?

There is Trainworld in Brooklyn, 751 McDonald Ave., Brooklyn, right next to a Subway only a few stops out of Manhattan.

I've visited their branch on Long Island close to where I "toil" and it's pretty large/extensive, although pretty much devoid of ANY UK outline stuff.

They do sell PECO track though, but that'd be like taking coals to Newcastle ;)

I do have a "side project" based on the west side of the Atlantic.

The flight is Manchester-Boston-Newark, so we are toying with the idea of "jumping ship" at Boston on the outward journey. Hire the car in BOS and have a week there before going to NY for the second week and return.

Much is to be planned - we are hoping that our good friends from SC will be able to join us at some point.

Last time we were on Long Island, I managed to lock the keys in the car 4 hours before our flight was due home......................

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

When we moved here I went to enquire about the gas as it was a new house and I was told that it had a meter and we would be billed. The first quarter was billed to the builder who had forgotten to transfer the account. He said just accept it as a moving present which was nice as it was winter. A few  months later we got a very threatening letter accusing us of stealing gas. I pointed out they knew who we were (our name on the letter) , we had let the meter reader in and had been in contact with the local office (remember British Gas showrooms). Eventually they tried to blame a computer. I wasn’t having that excuse and got an apology for their error. As soon as it was possible I changed to another supplier. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 81C said:

Greetings 

The Dog made me laugh he hates the rain but stayed out when it p!ssed down he finally came in I tried to dry him off with a towel he snatched that out of my hands and off he ran no doubt the towel 

will be in shreds when my daughter gets home later, I went to the bank to see about a savings account the young lady explained every thing and I came home and done it all on line then transferred the money,

one thing I notice she had her legs crossed and was swing around on her chair displaying her crutch to me.

E. Yeswideopen   :-)

Now don’t you go developing a fatal attraction, it wouldn’t be good for your heart or blood pressure!

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

I do have a "side project" based on the west side of the Atlantic.

The flight is Manchester-Boston-Newark, so we are toying with the idea of "jumping ship" at Boston on the outward journey. Hire the car in BOS and have a week there before going to NY for the second week and return.

Much is to be planned - we are hoping that our good friends from SC will be able to join us at some point.

Last time we were on Long Island, I managed to lock the keys in the car 4 hours before our flight was due home......................

I did that when we returned the car to the airport at Kona Big Island Hawaii. I had taken the keys out of the ignition then remembered that they like the keys left in the car so put them on the passenger seat and shut the door. The car then auto locked itself. The woman in the car rental kiosk wasn't happy saying that I had done it deliberately but I didnt know the car would lock itself. We had picked the car up at a different airport so no spare keys. Luckily the assistant knew how to 'break in' and we headed off to the airport.

Over the new year break I have been planning our USA 2020 trip. Looks like Gatwick to Toronto then to Chicago, hire car to drive to Rochelle. Then Amtrak form Chicago to St Louis. Do the convention then head to Portland OR. Possibly back via Calgary. Now need to look up the prices but normally its a good price with Westjet.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I read somewhere about airlines cancelling return flights if part of a flight is missed. Is that actually true?

I’m sure that common sense and accepting the customer had paid for a flight anyway wouldn’t enter into an airline’s consideration if they thought more money could be extorted made.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

If you decided to do that be VERY SURE to check with Delta first. Airline tickets over here don't technically allow that and you can be determined to NOT have completed the outbound trip and be denied boarding on the return. Some folks have had that happen on multi-leg flights here if it's not explicitly stated you can break the segments.

They do this to avoid those clever folks who manage to find a cheaper flight from A-C via B, when they really only wanted to go to B in the first place, just a word of caution.

EDIT: And with that, I'm orf to JFK ;) will post later (if I'm delayed!!) or tomorrow if the flight is on time - tally ho...

I did mention this to Mrs NB. Not a problem, as there's plenty to do in the NY area and Boston is only 200 miles away if she wants to go there. We visited Boston many years ago and promised to return someday.

Plan B is Washington DC for a week.

No doubt there will be a plan C, Cversion2/D/E/F etc.....

I am already looking at Amtrak schedules.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ps and I bet you only use tea bags once......

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Start one off in the morning, then just keep topping it up as required, surely?

We start ours going on the first of each month ......… even if the previous month had less than 31 days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16