The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi appears to be in retreat today but the blocked sinuses are still causing headaches. Still decided to give the club a miss tonight, I don't want to spread it about. I told my energy supplier months ago that I didn't have any reading on my newly installed 'smart' gas meter. They informed me that they had a reading and everything was ok. I have just received the latest bill which apparently shows my gas usage as zero! I will be getting in touch with them in the morning about it. Just as well I have kept all the correspondance of when I informed them that the meter wasn't working. Its possible that the meter is working but not transmitting the data but you'd think that someone would have queried the zero figure by now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, brianusa said:

There's no McDonald's near you, then?:D

Brian.

More likely this side of the pond to be a Greggs, they have more outlets than McD's and are doing better than most other fast food outlets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

^^^ Phil, don't get me started on smart meters :D

My energy supplier keeps telling me that if they install a smart meter for me I WILL save money, when asked to quantify they savings they don't/can't. Anyway, the last time they pestered me I spoke to someone with some nouse who told me the most likely reason for saving money was the compulsory transfer to a different tariff (with lock in clauses) rather than any real benefit from using less energy.

Now, noting my Yorkshire heritage, I'm not in the habit of leaving lights on unnecessarily, nor devices on standby..... :D

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

I've lived at my place ever since it was built, 2002, and the estimated bills are quite accurate - mind you it took em nearly 15 yrs to get em something like.

Yorkshireman - easy to estimate bill.

B&gger all..................

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

The chap who came to install my smart meter admitted that it wouldn't save me money. He said I was clearly very energy saving conscious and already doing everything they recommended to minimise consumption. The only people who do save money he said, are the ones who are shocked into action (no pun intended) by their usage when they can see it in real time on the screen.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

... nuisance telephone "robocalls" are reaching epidemic proportions here. We get at least five such calls per day.

Andy, I'm not experiencing that scourge. I do get a number of robo-dialled calls where no one picks up when you answer. I presume these to be human telemarketers with robo-diallers calling multiple people at once.

I do not have any messaging system for my land line.

The spate of Mandarin/Cantonese (one of them) calls to my mobile number seems to have stopped.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I was hoping our dear leaders would do something about this ...

Supposedly they have. In the large omnibus bill signed late in the year giving something to everyone (no shutdown like 2018/19, wall money, military pay raises, space force, funding for gun violence research, etc, etc) I thought there was a "no bad robocall" component.

Actually S.151 (Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act or the TRACED Act) was separately passed and signed into law at the end of 2019.

Having said that, looking at H.R. 3375, (Stopping bad robocalls act) it does not appear to have moved in the Senate since July.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

We have a smart meter. It has helped to save money..but this is where a canny Durham lad runs rings around a "tight" yorkshireman..we use a holistic view of how we use our money..in this case smart meter cost nowt..no more readings to take so quids in before you start. Of course you can better monitor overall usage and to see what systems  use the energy..so you can have a  better idea of what to switch off/replace..simples.

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well after the warm(ish) dry daybthat we’ve had today, it’s now chuckinitdarn. This morning’s swimming session was fairly quiet, but I only managed to do a mile (64 lengths) so I’m assuming I’m a little out of shape having had over a month off. I got back home to find another MERG package on the hall stand, so a few more kits to do in a coup”e of weeks time!

The kids enjoyed their tea, minted lamb koftas and vegetable rice, however despite max saying he didn’t like white rice, he polished the lot off!

One of the big things with dieting, especially for diabetics is snacking in between meals, this really is a no no. When you eat any food stuff, your blood sugar goes up because of the food intake and then slowly comes down again as you burn off some of the calories. So, if you really must eat cakes, biscuits or sweet stuff, the time to do it, is during or straight after a meal, as your blood sugar is rising anyway and the bit extra won’t be that bad. BUT, if you eat sweet snacks in between meals, your blood sugar levels go up rapidly when they should be going down and this really isn’t good for you. As Neil has said, watch the carbs and protein, fat too if you have cholesterol trouble, but portion size and being sensible is really the key. This is all Sheila has done and she has lost over 3 stone, dropped 4 dress sizes and is now in diabetic remission. 

Goodnight all

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Proper Yorkshire folks will have shut the heating off now the days are longer...

Pity I can't mark it as funny AND agree......................

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I moved into a new house about 20 years ago, the gas meter reading was 00004. The following year the company came to do a reading to check I was paying the correct amount on my direct debit, estimated on my previous consumption. The meter reading was 00009. They changed it and took it away for examination and found it had a mechanical fault where the meter was going round but the counter on the display wouldn't step onto the second wheel to get from 0009 to 0010.

If it had been 00003, they woud have billed you for 99999.

• Like 11
  • Funny 4