The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I didn't attend the commitee meeting tonight though I feel better the lurgi is still causing coughs and sniffles so its better not to pass it on. An interesting item on Farcebook re. the Dingle station of the Liverpool Overhead Railway. As most of you are probably aware the station which is in a tunnel became a car workshop until the tunnel collapsed in 2006 trapping several vehicles in there including some classics. Those vehicles are still there and some are in reasonable condition though they might have to be craned out through the old tunnel entrance which is twenty feet above the ground.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I managed to get through to the cupboard supplier, but only by using different telephone number, which I obtained from a very helpful person at our local big orange DIY shed. The upshot is that they will put the required parts in the post and I should have them in a day or so. After that I continued on to completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, but it was a lot later than usual, but it did mean that I bumped into my aunts younger brother. He’s just a few years older than me and we’ve known each other for almost all my life. His sister, my aunt married one of my mums brothers and both now live in Florida , having moved there from Canada about 8 years ago. We ended up chatting for about 10 minutes and he mentioned that his nephew, my cousin now has his own plane, I asked if he flies it himself, but apparently he has a crew for that sort of thing, mind you he is the CEO of his own IT company in California. 

After dinner I made a batch of leek and potatoes soup, some of which we had for tea. I then made a quick phone call after tea to check that the pool was open tomorrow and then set up my swimming bag.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's almost certainly true for human examination. Everything is processed automatically by OCR and I don't think the programming really cares about the date. Companies will cash cheques that are dated for a later time. Forget about signature verification.

Once upon a time, my bank returned all my cancelled cheques to me. I can't remember how many years ago that was. Today my statement contains digitally scanned images for *some* of the cheques. Most of the regular payments - to banks for credit cards etc are processed without even this confirmation.

One of the banks we use - primarily online, but the account does have a cheque book and allows me to pay in at a physical bank. (Mrs NB often gets cheques for various Guide activities).

One of our longtime friends who works at the public end of the parent bank has said that they are about to introduce a mobile phone app that will scan cheques and allow them to be paid in online. Not quite certain what we have to do with the cheque afterwards though!

Work was worked.

MR club wasn't visited tonight as I have a lot to do on my own layout before Stafford.

1 day on, then 2 days off.

Have a good Wednesday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

they are about to introduce a mobile phone app that will scan cheques and allow them to be paid in online. Not quite certain what we have to do with the cheque afterwards though!

Yes, US banks have been flogging an ability like this for some time. This is for depositing cheques payable to you into your account. Not for paying your bills using personal cheques.

Afterwards? Hold onto the cheque until it shows paid in your account and then shred it.

There are of course mobile apps to pay money to other individuals / entities. US banks have been flogging these hard too. Apparently they are very popular in India.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Companies will cash cheques that are dated for a later time. Forget about signature verification.

Also true for credit-cards. I knew a guy who frequently signed "Donald Duck" or "Mickey Mouse" on his corporate AMEX card chits. Mind you that was in New Jersey. People might have been a bit more suspicious if he'd tried it in Anaheim CA.

Speaking of which my office was on Harbor Boulevard, just down the road from Disneyland which might explain why a lot of the goings-on in the office were like episodes from Looney Tunes (although that was the other lot).

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, US banks have been flogging an ability like this for some time. This is for depositing cheques payable to you into your account. Not for paying your bills using personal cheques.

Afterwards? Hold onto the cheque until it shows paid in your account and then shred it.

There are of course mobile apps to pay money to other individuals / entities. US banks have been flogging these hard too. Apparently they are very popular in India.

Yes, my bank keeps trying to get me to use that. My response is "not on your Nellie".

I do deposit small checks at the drive-through ATM but I walk into the bank and talk to a teller for anything over $50.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

... my office was on Harbor Boulevard, just down the road from Disneyland ...

I lived in the OC during the late eighties. Harbor Boulevard had quite the (deserved) reputation. For those not reading through my genteel wording, you could get *anything* you wanted on Harbor Boulevard.

They've cleaned it up considerably since then. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12

9 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Having read reports of fund raising activities in Australia and the plea to not send any more clothes, shoes etc I shall be making a contribution to the funds today..which one though?

If I had any money I would support someone who helps koalas.   Try the koala hospital at Port Macquarie.

Chris

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

The first dilemma will be the choice between the Cardiff Small Show and the Whittlesey Straw Bear Festival.  That one is exacerbated by a concert the previous evening, after which I have to get home to bed, however fleetingly. 

Do you honestly think you can get away with slighting  the WAG Mafia by not turning up at Cardiff?

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

When have I ever slighted the WAG Mafia?  RESPECT!

Chris

So you will be attending then....Very wise.

That nice Mr Danemouth was saying to me that if the young Foren fellow fails to attend, then the Rolley boys will have to be sent over the border to have a persuasive little chat.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16