The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Cough splutter, yak, blurgh. Morning all. Still feeling like slightly microwaved death. Managed to do nothing all weekend apart from upload a rather crap photo on my module thread in Overseas. (shameless plug to get you lot to have a peek and push the views over 1000) :P

Light bulbs: I'm convinced the new range of low wattage bulbs are being pushed on us by the Opthamologist Society. As for lasting, I have a pair of Caboose lanterns that were converted to 110vac and presented to my dad when he retired from CP in 1978. The bulbs from then are still going strong today, even though I have to plug them into a voltage converter.

Printers: (put your own profanity here) Kodak with their big 'cheap ink' marketing ploy neglect to tell people that unless you manually reset the damn thing to B&W ink every time you print, it will use up the colour inks to produce black instead of using the black ink. Cheeky sods. I had a great Epson printer but it refused to recognise any generic ink cartridges and to replace with the name brand ones were £8 more than I paid for the printer in the first place.

Back under the covers with my mug of lemsip.

• RMweb Premium

A note in passing: It's my experience that HP (genuine) inks don't clog in the same way that Epson or Cannon do if left idle for a period.

I actually noticed the same thing, having had a HP printer in the distant past, followed by an Epson and now by an AIO one again from HP.

• RMweb Gold

A fast laser from Canon is already on order and I'm now looking for a slower colour one for when we need colour print. I guess that will cover all options and mean I will get faster prints and lower replacement cartridge cost. Seems bloomin' obvious now......

The colour laser might be useful for making transfers (decals). I made some with the colour inkjet but found the waterproofing a bit hit and miss. I probably gave up too easily!

I'm just back from taking Robbie for a walk. He was very well behaved when a puppy wanted to chase him around and condescended to play. Otherwise the morning was financial planning, setting up pension arrangements.

Tony

Don't bother with inkjet printers these days unless you are regularly printing in colour (as in at least every week or two). A cheap monochrome laserjet is only about £40 these days and will last at least a thousand pages before you need to refill it - usually more. A multifunction colour laserjet is not much more than a hundred and will never dry out - so it's always there. Refills are not as expensive as you look - my printer costs £50 for a full cartridge but I've only replaced it once in the last six years. I own a Samsung laserjet (original cost £55 including shipping), and my mother has a Samsung multifunction colour laserjet/scanner which she's very happy with. HP's recent consumer offerings are not as good as their older office models - but if you ever get offered an old HP laserjet 3/4/5, TAKE IT - they're basically indestructible, my stepdad's is still going strong after about 16 years.

Epson are perhaps the worst for ripping people off with inkjets (closely followed by most of the other major names), but all inkjets are a ripoff.

• RMweb Gold

Cough splutter, yak, blurgh. Morning all. Still feeling like slightly microwaved death. Managed to do nothing all weekend apart from upload a rather crap photo on my module thread in Overseas. (shameless plug to get you lot to have a peek and push the views over 1000) :P

Back under the covers with my mug of lemsip.

Hope you feel better soon. My GP brother in law said his surgery this week was full of people with similar symptoms, (the viral symptoms not the shameless plug).

I've added a few updates to the Exhibition thread you started and even put stuff on the NMRA BR Facebook page. Are you going to the Spring Meet?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

It's been one of those days!

After such good progress on the layout yesterday I'm afraid that it didn't go well today. I don't know why, but everything I seemed to do went wrong! Must be because it's a Monday laugh.gif

After spending most of the day on the layout, the only thing I managed to complete is gluing down the NG track. Tomorrow I will buy some modelling clay for the layout so I can get the hardstanding, roads and stream done. I might try something smaller to build tonight. Perhaps I'll build a couple of the many bridges needed.

10 days left!

Jam blink.gif (starting to panic slightly)

I was somewhat amused to see the chap Extreme Ironing on the M1 :lol:

if you ever get offered an old HP laserjet 3/4/5, TAKE IT - they're basically indestructible, my stepdad's is still going strong after about 16 years.

Absolutely - I have got a Laserjet 5 in the cellar. I walked into a secondhand computer supplier a few years ago and he had got a pallet full of office throw outs. Like you said, pretty much indestructible and although I have had mine about three years now, I have yet to change the cartridge. The only thing mine is missing is a Postscript card, but the PCL works almost as well - and I do have a network card.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Weather looks pleasant and I'll be off for a pair of courses later on. I think I should have a shower every night to get rid of those pollen, lest they bug me over night.

Have a good one everyone...

Morning All,

Another nice day here today - I think we'll wander down to the Kindergarten today so Thomas can visit all his old friends. Then, I'll have to go and order some new winter tyres.

Interesting to hear that you had a challenging Monday Jam, I know those sort of days! Interestingly enough, Thomas and I were in the supermarket yesterday and one of the staff managed to have a whole pallet of beer fall off of the pallet trolley. What a mess that was! Broken glass and puddles of beer everywhere.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Looks as though it is going to be another pleasant day, weatheriwise. Cold now bordering on man flu.

Day two of track laying beckons. Nothing has actually moved yet.

Sounds like both me and my lack of movement yet this morning, and also my layout progress, BoD.

Trying to get motivated to get up...

Thank goodness there's only 3 more days of work, then 11 days off. I've booked the 3 days between Easter and the Royal Wedding as leave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright and sunny again. Busy day today, chap coming in a short while to talk about solar microgeneration systems then after lunch I have to go and play golf. It's all pressure, pressure, pressure. At this rate I'll have to go and look for a job so I can have a rest!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks as if it is going to be warm today.

Solar microgeneration sounds like something from Star Trek though I suspect it is probabably a magnifying glass and a piece of paper rather than a compact fusion device!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Woke up late today - about 9:30.

Must have been particularly tired last night which is strange because I don't remember feeling very tired at all laugh.gif.

I expect we'll go into town shortly to pick up some modelling clay. I think mum has an appointment at the surgery anyway so it won't be a wasted journey if I find they don't have any.

Interesting to hear that you had a challenging Monday Jam, I know those sort of days! Interestingly enough, Thomas and I were in the supermarket yesterday and one of the staff managed to have a whole pallet of beer fall off of the pallet trolley. What a mess that was! Broken glass and puddles of beer everywhere.

Ooh, that must've been an expensive (and messy!) mistake blink.gif.

It's funny, my dad said he'd had a terrible day at work on the roof yesterday! I can't remember exactly what went wrong but he did mention that the roofers hadn't turned up or something like that. Anyway, let's just hope today is more productive!

Weather-wise, it seems very sunny but the sky is full of grey cloud - most bizarre... huh.gif

What are old friends doing in a kindergarden? Young friends may be.

Yes, I guess you're right :lol:

Old friends in the sense that he doesn't see them anymore - rather than old in the sense of age.

I have just picked him up, and he seems to have had a wonderful time. I am reliably informed that kindergarten is much better than school!