The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I may be doing some tidying today. We are hosting the speaker for Aditi’s French Circle tomorrow. The house doesn’t seem particularly untidy to me so,it shouldn’t take long. I also have to collect him from the station but that is tomorrow afternoons task. I know what he looks like, having done a Google image search. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Now you're just winding my cauliflower aversion up. ;)

I presume this is some version of "cauliflower with cheese" rather than a cheese that has some kind of cauliflower properties. I'm guessing it is something like this. (That term seems to have relevance in the UK but was not in my lexicon.)

Apologies Michael, yes it is like that dish. As a child, Tuesday’s meal was always that dish and I loathed it. These days my tastes have clearly changed.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

To Jamie le Shutter, try a small amount of your local white plonk in the sauce - takes it to another level.

To Dave of the Red Dragon, I have over the past couple of years found Spiratronics to be rather good for low voltage electrical bits and pieces suitable for your needs and they offer a very fast service too.

To GDB, although Stevie Nidge is only just beyond the distance that, on a good day, I may be able to throw a pebble, I have been “pencilled in” for some duties at a nearby mansion this coming Saturday. I do however have an entry for The London Festival of Unmentionables in March at the Pally Alley in my diary, which I believe a number of contributors on here may chose to attend.

Carry on....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi seems to be in retreat, helped by my not waking up until gone 8. At least I woke up which at my age is regarded as an achievement. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

A friend has upgraded his iPad to the very latest model and is offering his old one for less than half its cost 18 months after he bought it. I am sorely tempted to offer him some promissory notes before cash is outlawed and give my perfectly serviceable iPad to SWMBO.

Be sure to delete all incriminating evidence beforehand....

On 05/01/2020 at 19:43, jamie92208 said:

Good evening, after yet another spectacular sunset.  We got the decorations down this afternoon, and yes it does look a bit strange but it was a lot easier to draw the curtains.   I did get some work done in the shed and was able to finish off the sitting room shutters and then re hang them.

P1050305.JPG.89fe2ba41f3d76208fc62391f8edcbf9.JPG

All you need to do now is re-paint the masonry.  And the upstairs shutters......

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, Again..1063/664

The visit to the prodder and poker didn't go well, sugars up, weight up, BP up... That's what comes of moving my annual big check up from  before, to after Christmas.. 

Leant on to give up carbohydrates, which ties in with cauliflower, I love cauliflower cheese, but of course Cheese is frowned upon, dieting wise.

Plain Cauliflower has reminders of school meals, Cauilflower was a white grey sludge with small lumps in it, potato was a white grey runnier sludge with bigger lumps in it, fish was a big lump of sludge with bones in it.  The days when all three appeared were not good.. (there were no choices).

The young lady  in charge of prodding wanted me to take home a BP meter, but they had run out of stock, I will be summoned when one is available..

Anyway potato replacement therapy , is required, I like swede /turnip/ rutabaga,  parsnip in small quantities, carrot when cooked correctly. I shall investigate the local farm shop for the big round lumps on the way home..

Buttons need pressing 

Time to go..

One understands that, in the vegan world, cauliflower is served as a replacement for what some call steak. A number of sludge less ways of cooking cauliflower, potato if not totally banned, fish (not battered) and root veg are  appealing and appetising. Have you tried celeriac, it being low in carbs yet good on flavour and fibre so replaces you humble spud? Neil of NHN fame is a resident dietitian who can offer advice based on experience. I steadfastly refuse to stop eating things, instead trying to limit volume to match the rate at which energy is consumed.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Fish? I hate, a consequence of the school dinners, Califlower Steaks? tried that Yuk!! Not that fond of celeriac.

I'm just wading my way through low GI lists looking for stuff I'll eat ..

• Friendly/supportive 14

Nipped out to the chemist for my monthly script and called in at the garage as I suspected my brake pads are worn, suspicions confirmed and a date with the car doctor is set for tomorrow morning, that could jeopardise the planned spending of tokens on something 0-6-0...……………………...

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Nipped out to the chemist for my monthly script and called in at the garage as I suspected my brake pads are worn, suspicions confirmed and a date with the car doctor is set for tomorrow morning, that could jeopardise the planned spending of tokens on something 0-6-0...……………………...

That sounds familiar. I've got to take mine in next Tuesday for front pads and discs. Modelling tokens going down.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All,

Exchange of Christmas pressies with SWMBO - a serious matter when it comes to getting it right.  Having spent approximately two mid-range r-t-r locos worth on her present I was informed she didn't want anything else.  Then I found the new Rick Stein recipe book, but the joint account paid for that ;).  Then I decided that she still needed a surprise present - because  I would have suffered if she didn't get one (I know my place, and I know what she means when she says 'don't get me anything') so I duly procured, via the local bookshop and a special rush order, a copy of the new  'Only Connect' quiz book which was delivered to the shop on 23 December.  She still owes me a suitable 'main present' although I did get two books - one of which was purchased on the joint account.     

Caulifower cheese - have loved it since I was a lad although over the years I have come across differing ways of it being made - no matter, it's still nice and effectively a rare treat for me as it contains cheese (obviously) so I ban it from my regular diet.

Christmas is really over (almost) the last of Tes&Cos 'Finest' mince pies were consumed today,  It has taken about 3 weeks to eat our (mainly my) way through the 3 for two offer.  All that now remains of Christmas food is some of the stilton - Christmas being one of the three times a year when I break my 'no cheese' rule for a short while (the other couple of times are when we are on the ship), so no cheese for me until May/June time once the stilton has gone.  apart from occasional OF lunches my self imposed alcohol ban works on roughly the same timetable along with minimising consumption of spuds.   Of course a slight relaxation of the alcohol ban will be permitted in the event of a meet at Ally Pally and at any future Brains Trust meetings.

The Good Doctor is finally gradually being inducted, bit-by-bit, into her new job with the NHS - it so far seems to have involved barely 3 or 4 hours at the very most but tomorrow she is supposed to work her first shift. of 13 hours!!  I must admit that I seriously doubt the legality of 13 hour shifts but that is what they work at the Nuffield although I wouldn't might betting it is something fiddled between staff reps and the 'management' as a way of getting more days off in a week.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi is still hanging about but I'm feeling a bit better. Commitee meeting tonight but having to cry off due to the lurgi. A little warning from another forum. If you still issue cheques for any reason this year allways write the year out in full, thus 2020. This will prevent any alteration to the date as mearly putting 20 anyone can add a couple of digits. Tea awaits, be back later.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This will prevent any alteration to the date as mearly putting 20 anyone can add a couple of digits.

I am sure I am being dense but how would adding digits benefit someone. If they added say 19 to the 20 with a current day/month it would become too old for the bank to accept. If someone added say 21 or 22 it wouldn’t be accepted as it is too early. 
Tony

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If someone added say 21 or 22 it wouldn’t be accepted as it is too early. 

The scenario that I saw online (similar to Phil's comment) was precisely someone adding "21" to say a 6/6/20 date on a cheque to make it valid in 2021.

I couldn't figure our how this was a serious liability either. Checks are processed immediately. It's not like anyone can run an already processed cheque with changed data.

If you google "why should you write out 2020" there's a whole trove of regurgitated news reports that seem to have a single origin.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The scenario that I saw online (similar to Phil's comment) was precisely someone adding "21" to say a 6/6/20 date on a cheque to make it valid in 2021.

I couldn't figure our how this was a serious liability either. Checks are processed immediately. It's not like anyone can run an already processed cheque with changed data.

If you google "why should you write out 2020" there's a whole trove of regurgitated news reports that seem to have a single origin.

I have read somewhere  that unless the cheque is for an amount above a certain limit, nothing gets checked including the signature.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I have read somewhere  that unless the cheque is for an amount above a certain limit, nothing gets checked including the signature.

Jamie

Paying in a cheque for us now requires a visit to the post office with a paying in slip and a special envelope. Either that or go to another town with a bank.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13