The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks Rick,

Now the question for aviation enthusiasts:

It's a gas turbine, but is it a hot or cold start?

No evidence of an afterburner...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

The bloke didn't survive, as you may imagine, leaving not just me to wonder just what possesses some people to put themselves in lethal danger like that...

I don't know how extensive the tram network is in your city Dom , but if Prague is any measure

of the lack of common sense and awareness that you suffer then I can understand how

frustrating it must be to sit and see idiots all around . One would expect that people living with this

vast network , and a lot actually using it , would have a bit of an advantage to a tourist for example ,

and behave accordingly .

Here is a 3 minute clip from a Prague driver , he has a lot more posted but this gives you a glimpse

of his day , if your's is the same you have my sympathy and admiration , if I was doing that job I would

probably be arrested for getting out and giving the idiots a good beating talking to . 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I don't know how extensive the tram network is in your city Dom , but if Prague is any measure

of the lack of common sense and awareness that you suffer then I can understand how

frustrating it must be to sit and see idiots all around . One would expect that people living with this

vast network , and a lot actually using it , would have a bit of an advantage to a tourist for example ,

and behave accordingly .

Here is a 3 minute clip from a Prague driver , he has a lot more posted but this gives you a glimpse

of his day , if your's is the same you have my sympathy and admiration , if I was doing that job I would

probably be arrested for getting out and giving the idiots a good beating talking to . 

One of my other halfs favourite Youtube batch of videos having been to Prague many times, this year being the first time we haven't since our first trip in 2004. Luckily we haven't experienced any such incidents when using the trams there or Leipzig.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Can you drink Indian Tonic Water Mike.. keep the night time cramps at bay for me (diet zero sugar version works best).

Been busy tidying the layout room up..as well as doing a GDB.. tripped over a cunning placed stool (which I had placed in a visible position!!)  and went base over apex. Much swearing and cursing but it seems I am OK.

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

and behave accordingly .

Yeah, I can assure you I’ve seen plenty such situations since I got my tram wings (and even during training)! I’ve seen a similar video from Prague with even more hair-raising potential. I’ll have to look for it when I can.

Prague has a similar network size but more individual routes, so it’s a pretty good comparison in many respects. I wish we had wider trams like they do, though. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Back to work tomorrow now I am allowed to drive... Retirement earlier looks good despite the financial problems of doing so, better to retire before dying rather than after. First world problem I know.

Goodnight Y'awl  

When someone is standing at the Pearly Gates they won't be saying "I wish I had more money".  It'll be "I wish I had more time".

I'm banging out at the end of April (48 working at work days to go), and as early as the pension scheme rules allow :)

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Well judging by this ...... 

Anyone standing at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions had a bad day.....

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Woke up at 02.00 and didn't get back to sleep.  So arose early and was in the office at 7.15.

As a result I'm ready for a nap. 

And thanks also for all the advice on the car choice and driving skills. Much appreciated. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Shedman5 said:

Evening, the day started with a slight disaster ie DCC controller emitting smoke! On inspection its stuffed as they say, I do have a spare but will look to buy a replacement which I intended to do today.

However this afternoon  my first grandchild came into the world a healthy boy at 9lb, so looking for a replacement fell by the wayside. We are going up to London ( travelling by train) tomorrow, I thought of driving DOWN to London but decided to let the train take the strain. So will be in London for a couple of days which I am looking forward to.

The arrival of my Grandson has more than compensated for todays disaster, though In fairness I have had the now stuffed controller for 11 years so I should not complain.

Time to open a nice bottle of plonk now and toast the new arrival!

Alan

Congratulations Alan. They can be a joy and somewhat rejuvenating. Sadly in my case I didn’t get my son in law to the vet so I have five of the little terrors darlings. Hope they are all doing well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Alan and welcome to what I repeatedly say is the best club in the world. My grandchildren have grown up too fast and are now 20, 17 and 15 but I'm glad to say still regularly visit the "old folk" (and seem to enjoy it) :imsohappy:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The sniffle I've had for the past week or so has developed into a full blown lurgi with the appropiate coughs and sneezes. A Lem-sip fortified with spiritual falling down water is on the cards for before I go to bed.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

frustrating it must be to sit and see idiots all around 

At the end of that I had given up hope and was calling down to the engine room for ramming speed.  (Obviously I've watched too many WW2 anti submarine films!)

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now we must visit more serious matters:

Who from the ER community intend to visit the Stafford model railway show this coming February?

If so, is there any thoughts about having a small get together?

I will be attending, along with elements of the OFMC, and I know the bloke with the too short ladder will be there, so no doubt there will be much cat calling and general inter-service one-upmanship. (Apparently this gets worse the longer you've been retired.)

I will be there all weekend playing supervising my operators trains........

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now we must visit more serious matters:

Who from the ER community intend to visit the Stafford model railway show this coming February?

If so, is there any thoughts about having a small get together?

I will be attending, along with elements of the OFMC, and I know the bloke with the too short ladder will be there, so no doubt there will be much cat calling and general inter-service one-upmanship. (Apparently this gets worse the longer you've been retired.)

I'll be there on the Sunday all being well Richard, but my day will start with a Full English in the little café opposite before the Show opens.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1