The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s a little cloudy here at the moment, but dry. Sheila is just finishing off her breakfast and will then get herself ready for her Zumba class. Once she’s gone, I can then make a start putting all the boxes of Christmas decorations in there new home. At some point over the year, I will fit permanent lights in there, but for now, I’ll have to put up with temporary lights. When I fitted the new lights in the cellar last year, I fitted a ceiling rose in there ready for the lights, so it’s really just a case of running the cables for the light fittings and a switch. 

Skipepsi, I’m glad that you are once again able to get behind the wheel and once you become used to the financial difference between work and retirement, you realise that you made the right decision. I’ve never regretted retiring early, just over 2 1/2 years ago, (bl00dy hell, where did that go?). You may also find yourself asking how on earth did I fit in work?

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

There is more blue sky than grey cloud now. Aditi has decided it is a gardening day, lots of plants are showing signs of new growth. I haven’t been given any tasks. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Further to my comments on early retirement. If like my pension scheme they offer a variable lump sum, the larger the lump sum meaning a slightly reduced pension. Whether you would want to do so depends upon your personal circumstances. I opted for the largest lump sum as that enabled me to clear the mortgage and credit cards and be debt free, another benefit of early retirement and some more fewer outgoings to go on the 'better off' calculation. Also the lump sum is tax free.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Further to my comments on early retirement. If like my pension scheme they offer a variable lump sum, the larger the lump sum meaning a slightly reduced pension. Whether you would want to do so depends upon your personal circumstances. I opted for the largest lump sum as that enabled me to clear the mortgage and credit cards and be debt free, another benefit of early retirement and some more fewer outgoings to go on the 'better off' calculation. Also the lump sum is tax free.

The lump sum was tax free up to a point when I was forced to take early redundancy although the Human Reorganising Dept was helpful in providing a range of options. It also helped that I was a Trustee of teh company's Pension Scheme so know my way around more than some and had worked with actuaries whose speciality is projecting the date of death!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

I will be attending, along with elements of the OFMC, and I know the bloke with the too short ladder will be there, so no doubt there will be much cat calling and general inter-service one-upmanship. (Apparently this gets worse the longer you've been retired.)

Ha, I am going skiing with an ex-RAF type, and ex-WREN type, a serving Army type and his spouse. I can see me hiding away and chuntering about my many years astern of the mast :lol:

I shall not be venturing further up north, I may loose the bridgehead I have been assiduously working to create in The South.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Failing that, you could always emulate me:

image.png.d697aa1e8d970332104825683956b41f.png

Not sure about that Richard - it could make me feel a little hollow.......

How about 1200 on the Saturday in the refreshment area at Stafford?

Dave

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Not sure about that Richard - it could make me feel a little hollow.......

How about 1200 on the Saturday in the refreshment area at Stafford?

Dave

That's fine by me.

Although if it's been raining and the parking field is up to the usual high standard, you may have to come out and and tease me out of the mud with copious amounts of cake!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1