The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Similar claims have been made in the US.

In my opinion they are largely spurious - particularly when they come from the tweeter in chief.

The only tool for suppressing growth of the understory in large areas of forest or bushland is fire. It's not like there's an army of gardeners to pull weeds in the natural undergrowth.  It is accurate to state that wildfire prevention efforts allows the natural understory to develop. There can be more fuel when it is a long time between fires.

Deliberately lighting fires to reduce the understory in conditions of severe drought is dangerously irresponsible and untenable.

Ironically the heavy rains from the breaking of the 2011 - 2017 drought in California led to increased understory and scrub-land growth that exacerbated the 2017 summer wildfires.

EDIT: Rick's and my posts were concurrent. Rick has provided more specifics on why understory mitigation could not take place.

Hazard reduction burns have been a major feature of life around Sydney during Autumn and Winter  since pretty much forever. This year however the previous fire period extended into late Autumn due to the dry drought conditions, thus delaying the traditional start  and had to be ended much earlier than usual because bushfires started happenning around August. Because of this  they were often conducted on days that they shouldn't have been done on - when wind and atmospheric conditions trapped the smoke in the Sydney basin causing pollution levels similar to what we are experiencing now with the actual fires.

Australians are used to bushfires, they are part of summer life here and we usually don't make much of a fuss but these fires are so far  beyond ANYTHiNG we've ever had that previous bushfires seem almost placid in comparison.. For a fun drinking game, watch coverage of the bushfires and down a drink whenever you hear the word "Unprecedented" or "Apocalyptic"  youll be rolling drunk by the second ad break.

Places that were the subject of hazard burns in the last couple of years have burned just as fiercely as other  places. Places that have NEVER seen a bushfire have been razed to the ground.   These are not places built deep into the bush, they are on rolling hills with grasslands and livestock grazing. These fires travel 30 to 50km at night - traditionally the time when firefighters get on top of them and maneuver them into areas where they can deal with them and people wake to fire on their doorstep.

They are jumping rivers, doubling back and reburning areas all over again, creating their own weather patterns and winds so a fire flank suddenly becomes a roaring fire front heading off in a completely different direction with no notice. And even creating their own tornadoes of fire see below.

This is not a good place to be right now. NO ONE feels safe. These fires are affecting everybody, either directly, or through smoke and disrupted travel plans or because pretty much everyone knows someone who has lost their house or had a lucky escape. Holiday plans have been cancelled as complete areas of states have been declared evacuation and no go zones. Almost every road out of Sydney has been cut at some point or other, and the fires are moving closer to other towns and cities -  and nothing can stop them, 

There is mo other news on TV - apparently Trump bombed Iran or something?, no one knows or cares about that here,  daily survival and fear of approaching fire is front and centre, excluding anything else.

We also have the added distraction of the worlds biggest idiot in charge to get in the way of people actually doing things.

Fire tornado from about 45 seconds in. Also for an idea of the possible wildlife losses check out how many small animals come hopping for their lives out of this small patch of bush

• Friendly/supportive 18

My shed has forced air heating.

DSCN4694.JPG.dd7ead803acfed9dc7ffa3a5f5d1df7c.JPG

The stove gets bluddy hot

DSCN4693.JPG.8c86e8eeae8e4807ba1e85ff9f72370c.JPG

and the box-fan forces air over it.

That steel heat shield gets too hot to touch even with the fan going full tilt. I had to take that shot of the fire very quickly. I was worried the radiation would damage the camera.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well all the decorations are down, all I have to do is put the boxes away! They are currently stacked up in the cellar and by this time tomorrow they will all be in there new home, the storage area I made under the hall. 

Sorry to read about your friend Dave, it’s a real buqqer!!

Goodnight all 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Places that have NEVER seen a bushfire have been razed to the ground.   These are not places built deep into the bush, they are on rolling hills with grasslands and livestock grazing. ....

They are jumping rivers, doubling back and reburning areas all over again, creating their own weather patterns and winds so a fire flank suddenly becomes a roaring fire front heading off in a completely different direction with no notice. 

The fires in the western US in the last three years have exhibited similar behaviour - particularly burning places that are not "forest" or bushland, and jumping wide multi-lane highways (like four lanes in each direction) and are usually referred to as "wildfires" rather than "forest fires".

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And even creating their own tornadoes of fire see below.

These are a really nasty aspect of the severity of the fires in Australia. They are not new, I remember one being recorded some years ago, but they appear to be much, much larger than earlier recorded examples.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

3 hours ago, pH said:

However, a major export from Australia, at least in the past, has been timber. 

Mostly today it is minerals like iron and coal. According to this, timber is $1.77B (0.7%) compared with $47B in coal (19%). 

A vast amount of Australian coal has propped up the Australian economy and been burnt by the Chinese.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

Being Twelfth Night, I made an effort to remove my Christmas decorations today. The outside decorations were still damp from the rain so they are air drying in places where I am unlikely to step on them. 

Going up and down a small stepladder I have aggravated the muscle tear in my leg. Hopefully this is not a big setback. With the swelling finally receding I was hoping I had turned a corner.

Sensibly the Golden Globe awards had to wait until playoff football concluded for the day. I watched them until I couldn't put up with any more, which didn't take very long. Ricky Gervais (as promised) did his very best to be obnoxious but the whole pious nonsense of celebrities congratulating each other had me change the channel before very long.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mostly today it is minerals like iron and coal. According to this, timber is $1.77B (0.7%) compared with $47B in coal (19%). 

A vast amount of Australian coal has propped up the Australian economy and been burnt by the Chinese.

Given the appalling situation in Australia that's slightly ironic. Not that the US is any better. There are enormous trains of coal for Pacific export passing through North Idaho. Short term benefits with no regard for the consequences.

It's "I'm alright Jack" except it's not in the least bit amusing.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Given the appalling situation in Australia that's slightly ironic.

It is behind the anger many Australians are expressing at their elected officials. And yes, presently the US is no different.

Besides the Seattle route, there are proposals to build a coal loading facility on the lower Columbia to export Powder River basin coal across the Pacific. It is strongly opposed by the locals. This is not just "nimbyism". I'm guessing it might still use the BNSF North Idaho route and diverge south at Spokane (on the old SP&S alignment) like the Portland section of the Empire Builder.

I imagine that you saw Thursday's BNSF derailment on the Kootenai River (caused by a landslide) that delayed the Amtrak Empire Builder.  It reminded me of all those 737s the BNSF dumped into the Clark Fork River in Montana in 2014.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Glad you are allowed to drive again Skipepsi.

Busy day ahead, parcels to prepare, said parcels then need to be posted. Tidying up to be done (again?), Cars to be washed... Mundane things to do compared to what some people around the world are having to do at the minute.

I hope that the rain does happen in Australia..the fire fighters and other inhabitants need a break.

Mugatea to be drunk, day to be grabbed and shaken into submission!

TTFN!

Baz

• Like 18

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

There are enormous trains of coal for Pacific export passing through North Idaho.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Besides the Seattle route, there are proposals to build a coal loading facility on the lower Columbia to export Powder River basin coal across the Pacific. It is strongly opposed by the locals.

Meantime, a lot of that Powder River coal crosses the border and is exported through terminals in the Lower Mainland of BC.

• Informative/Useful 13