The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's 7C - unusually warm for this time of year.

12°C here (at 9:30pm). It warmed up from 10°C earlier. It is supposed to be colder (around 7°C) and wetter tomorrow with the snow level dropping in the mountains.

So far, we've had a very mild winter, (again) and less rainy than "normal".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

12°C here (at 9:30pm). It warmed up from 10°C earlier. It is supposed to be colder (around 7°C) and wetter tomorrow with the snow level dropping in the mountains.

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

45.7 here... 48.2 in Penrith.

• Friendly/supportive 19

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

45.7 here... 48.2 in Penrith.

News reports indicate an increased fire threat in the western suburbs of Sydney from the Green Wattle Creek fire. I hope they don't materialize.

There are now daily updates on US news reports. It has taken a long time for them to pay close attention, given that the fires have been going on since September.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

News reports indicate an increased fire threat in the western suburbs of Sydney from the Green Wattle Creek fire. I hope they don't materialize.

There are now daily updates on US news reports. It has taken a long time for them to pay close attention, given that the fires have been going on since September.

I subscrie to the Washington Post and their coverage has ramped up markedly over the last couple of days. Especially enjoying replaying  their coverage of the ferals getting laid into Scott from Marketing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/02/australias-prime-minister-visited-families-devastated-by-wildfires-it-did-not-go-well/

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

I use a special stealthy route [*] into and out of t'other place most every day.

I haven't been stopped yet.

You will be soon :mosking:

Edited by leopardml2341
Wanted to remove embedded video - but can't (on Android) any ideas?
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I got in touch with a local firm that installs loft ladders and they will get back to me early next week about doing a survey and giving us an estimate for fitting one. The bad news is that the stock of mod***ing tokens is likely to take a big hit.

All this talk of Loft Ladders has got me thinking too - I've not been happy with my current one for years.  I found this by chance, which may have possibilites and looks easy to install:

https://www.loftomattic.com/electric-loft-ladder/4594214767

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Think if you will of Lewis the koala, so bravely rescued by Toni Doherty and making headlines round the world, only to be put to sleep because his burns were too severe to be treatable.  I should hate to think that his death was in vain.

DougN posted a chart over on Tony Wright's Board a few hours ago, showing info regarding the current status.  By all accounts 30% (around 8000?) of Koalas in the State of New South Wales have been lost :cry::cry:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Greetings from sunny South Essex.

Aditi is off to London today to see a ballet production. It is a matinee so she will be home for dinner. I am on taxi duty to and from Benfleet station. Her friend will be joining the train at Upminster so there has been synchronising of watches etc.

I don’t have any plans for the rest of the day. I don’t think I have a list of things to do either. 
Just remembered, I have to be in so the double glazing man can measure up for a replacement window. It isn’t broken just internal condensation. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Edit
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning and happy 2020 to one and all

I have enjoyed the past two weeks, mostly in Switzerland but with the Rhine Valley and other bits of Germany because the travel company insists on us avoiding France.  My fellow traveller JohnDMJ is made of sterner stuff and travels to and from the UK via Paris, which is not as difficult as some make out. 

Due to the continuing industrial action in France, the RER part of the journey across Paris this year made the Tokyo commuter routine look tame; staff both trying to ram passengers into the train whilst pulling others off in order to close the doors! I met my Eurorats seat as the train departed Gare du Nord!

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

On offer for breakfast at our hotels in Interlaken and Chur was Prosecco.  For educational purposes I did have a glass or two with my breakfast and cannot in all honesty say that I recommend it. 

Whether you would recommend it or not is a personal preference; it was there, let's try it. Prosecco is, per se, a fizz which, whilst not being to my usual taste, did enliven the palette which I considered a sufficient reason for indulging! I was, after all, on holiday! (At 4 of the 5 breakfasts in the hotel in Chur, the bottle needed replacing with a full one. Whilst it might not be to our taste, it certainly was to the other residents of said hotel!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is trying to shine and I can see some bits of blue sky about, but according to the sea weed twirlers, we may get some rain later, so fingers crossed thay get it wrong. I'm just about to set off and collect Ava and then it'll be time for a mid morning drink. We will then make a start on some baking. 

Back later 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I better not comment on what I think of so called autopilot cars.  I certainly won't get one and can't afford one, though the Tesla factory in California is a useful place to spot stored UP locos at Warm Springs.

Anyway I had an interesting day trying to fit the new door shutter to the kitchen door.

Here's (most) of the old one, the top rail broke off when moving it. 

20200103-2.jpg.9f045070f3bd72dfcabba6b3956d8441.jpg

Until I read the explanation, I thought you had moved into the restoration, refurbishment or replication of the classic brick outhouse doors.

The observation is purely academic as I have no need of such niceties.

As seen from earlier correspondence on these pages, and to use a well known hair product advert:

I just wash and go!

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

46 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Tech Support, AKA Son, arrived from Ireland last night for a weekend visit and has done a registry clean-up and killed a lot of things that Win10. Google, etc insist on being active from start-up but don't get used or add any value to the experience. Fingers crossed no crashes this morning and everything that needs to be working is there and at greater speed. Thanks Matt.

I could do with borrowing your son for that service, sure there's a heap of the same excrement on my pc too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a visitation from the bin wagons this morning with their usual dawn chorus. Including the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon which was in full voice as it is it's first visit since the festivities. It was the first to arrive at just before 07:30, no need for alarm clocks this morning. Welcome back Chris, Christmas in Germany is quite a celebration but it is many years since I spent a Christmas there. Breaking news, the M1 will be closed for the rest of the day J11-J13 due to a serious accident. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1