The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Not so the bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape that I opened and had to pour down the sink. It was disgusting.

Corked? Corks are a lottery. While they do permit "aging" (and one would think A Chateauneuf du Pape might be suitable) for the most part wines are intended for more or less immediate consumption. In that regard screw tops are far more reliable - even if they do not have the drama of opening a corked bottle.

With new internal coatings, wines in aluminium cans continue to evolve. They have impressed me with their convenience. I can open a can and better manage portion control - not having to vacuum seal the unused contents of a half-full (half-empty) standard 750ml bottle for the next day.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed the corkscrew with no injuries Andy!

Although it seemed to smell OK (mind you my bunged up sinuses don't help) the taste was absolutely horrible. Strangely enough this is only the third time I can remember this happening and it's always been with Chateauneuf du Pape although with the previous ones you could smell it. I don't think I'll bother with it in future. Most of the wines I buy these days do have a screw top although there's still a couple in the "cellar" with corks.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Wine like any other commodity is meant to be drunk, whether it be from a bottle, can or box.  My criteria is whether it tastes good even if it only costs  $9.95 on sale and even then I am no judge of wine or what it should taste like.  I am no sniffer or sipper, I just have to like it, no matter the appellation or what side of the hill it came from.:drink_mini:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Happy Birthday, Mike!

That was a busy little day, just when I could have done with an easy one - a poor nights sleep has left me rather numb.  More so than usual anyway.

A dull day here turned into a wet one, and now a windy evening.  My friend is on the ferry this evening and he doesn't travel on ships very well.  I suspect it'll be quite bumpy, he can curse in many languages which won't help but will impress his fellow passengers.

I have never had much luck with French wines, including the aforementioned expensive  CNdP vinegar.  I stick with Aus and Kiwi now.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I've had many bottles that have turned - mostly due to being kept too long in poor cellaring conditions. Generally they were kept on their sides and rotated but some were put aside for "a special occasion" and never opened until too late. I think the biggest problem was heat. They were kept in my un-air-conditioned apartment in which summer temperatures could exceed 33°C.  I remember seeing somewhere that wine storage should never approach 27°C.

A couple of them were "rescued" by turning them into sangria - with plenty of orange juice, ginger ale and lemonade/Sprite/7 Up soda along with orange slices. As al fresco refreshment on a summer deck, these worked really well and made me feel better than throwing them away.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just looked at your link, glad Doggo seems to be improving.

Re the tapwater, it may be the chlorination; try boiling some and letting it cool - she might take that too.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Most of the wines I like and buy are Aussie and normally never more than about £7/£8 bottle.

Trader Joe's in the US used to sell Charles Shaw wines at $2 a bottle. It didn't take long for it to be known as "two buck Chuck".

(It wasn't too bad either.)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Try a Britarse water filter system, Zeus prefers that or will only drink water fresh out of the tap once the chlorine has dissipated.

Tap water gives me a guts ache it's disgusting stuff a bit like Bob's C N d P, I give European wine's a wide berth drinking only stuff 

from English vineyards these days.

Welland Trulipissed

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

52 minutes ago, polybear said:

I have an external hard drive kept securely outside my house, just in case the worst did ever happen.  It contains photos, documentation etc. etc.  If you were to ask me right this minute who my house is insured with I couldn't tell you - so what if the house burned down?  At least I'd have access to the necessary now.  As for photos etc - at least the digital copies are safe, older ones would be lost (maybe I should keep the negatives elsewhere too).

Of course it pays to keep the hard drive regularly updated....

Come to think of it with the price of SD cards as low as they are I should probably put a snapshot of all the important stuff on an SD card every so often and put it in our box at the bank. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Many a New Year welcomed in, en famille, with a bottle of St. Emillion, oysters, foie gras....happy days. 

Equally a bottle or two of Zinfandel following a long flight from lhr to San Diego was most welcome. 

I guess it's not just terroir but circumstance which needs taking into account. 

Unaware that I'm in a dry January syndicate various relatives offered a variety of booze as presents. I think I'll kick February off with a drop or two of grappa - but possibly not as much as I did 26 years ago on sabbatical in Italy!

I started to read the Dr Who thread but gave up and had a cuppa in the mug given to cast and crew; a present from a dear relative whose been associated with the show for donkeys years.

Happy birthday Mike. 

• Like 19