The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I have just read about Santander. My only experience of them was sorting out my late FiLs money. They were absolute garbage..losingaerwork, handing out incorrect i foormation and generally causing grief to all just when none of the family needed it. And it took a while for them to cough up. 

Day to day might be fine but.....

Of course if you go on line you can check out your bank balances, spends etc very quickly and safely most of the time, most banks.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

if this Century started on Jan 1, 2001, why doesn't this decade start on Jan1, 2021? Answers on a postcard to..........

Fortunately I have my rhetorical question filter turned on.

Personally I blame the venerable Bede.

In fairness he did live before Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

And a very happy new year to all ERs.  Supportive thoughts to the ailing, and happy thoughts to the celerating.

Fireworks here started at about six, and were sporadically heard until we fell asleep about ten - then a big bang about eleven - 30747 turned to me and said, sleepily, "Happy New Year" - I said it was only eleven, we went back to sleep, and slept through the midnight explosions - it may be that there were none, of course, but we will never know.

Mugacoffee and toast duly consumed, but a bacon toastie sandwich will shortly be consumed with second mugacoffee (real from Farrers of Kendal) - no alcohol was consumed, so no thick head this morning.

New Year Regards To All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Mugacoffee and toast duly consumed, but a bacon toastie sandwich will shortly be consumed with second mugacoffee (real from Farrers of Kendal) - no alcohol was consumed, so no thick head this morning.

New Year Regards To All

Stewart

They have coffee bean trees in Kendal, along with the mint cake trees? 

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Happy new year from an LNER 1st class mk4. Glad these are still in service as might be our last chance to travel in them.

This morning I laid more track on the new layout so now there is a complete circuit laid. I should complete the rest of the track one morning then start wiring up.

In the meantime is more beer starting in Newcastle but trying ot avoid the footy fans. This is the one place were I was set upon one evening many years ago at the station by drunk Newcastle fans as they thought I had been there to see Tottenham play. Luckily a BT Police office turned up and they disappeared so I made a retreat to the hotel. One reason that I dont like football.

These days its generally better but we try to avoid such crowds. We may go to the Boathouse at Wylam till the football starts.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Ian. When I worked in Newcastle I used to stay by the Quayside. Plenty of good pubs in that area - but I suspect you set out with a good idea of the real ale venues! :drink_mini:

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. 

If this is 2020 vision I’m changing my optician :jester:

Gooey eyes, headache, gout, slimy cough and kept awake at intervals by the comings and goings upstairs. 

Literally.  Aside from the hippopotamus festival on the stairs there was a boys competition (all stand around the pot at some distane and see who misses) plus some of the most vocal baby-making practice we have heard in a long time. 

Ah but it’s New Year hi-jinks. True. But what if I had been required to attend the House of Fun in a safely rested condition?  Words will be had at a later date. 

Muggertee, Weetabix and a marmalade toast enjoyed. Now I’m back to bed in the hope that afflictions, various, may fade away with sleep. 

Best wishes to all. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I thought the 21st. Century began with the year 2000 so today should be the first day of the roaring 20's.  If it isn't then what was all the fuss about 20 years ago?  Perhaps its because of the change over from BC to AD, when we went from 1 BC to 1 AD. Should there have been a year zero inbetween? I will leave you to ponder that while I catch up on the rest of RMweb.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit dull this morning compared yesterday’s blue skies, but at least it isn’t raining. We’d just got to sleep last night when some feck wit called us on the land line, the display showed it as an unknown number, so it didn’t get answered and they didn’t leave a message so I guess it was a wrong number, grrrrrgh.

Anyway, not a lot planned for the day other than doing a full roast chicken dinner later, after that we’ll probably sit down and doze for a while. 

Enjoy the day, back later 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Ian. When I worked in Newcastle I used to stay by the Quayside. Plenty of good pubs in that area - but I suspect you set out with a good idea of the real ale venues! :drink_mini:

Oh yes we know the place we want ot visit. However many are shut new years day from past experience. Some towards the football ground are open but will be avoided till after 3pm then out before the match finishes if we do head that way. cant go too far from the centre as no public transport today. Some train services are running though.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

As we go about our normal business, spare a thought for those in Australia who have lost everything in some cases. 

I do wonder if Insurance Policies will pay out under the current circumstances in Oz?  The thought of losing everything is horrific; not being compensated would be doubly so.

11 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Can somebody explain why people let off fireworks in broad daylight?

Bail conditions don't allow the little scrotes out after dark...

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The corporate greed and double-standards applied by those responsible in Sydney beggars belief. Cash-cow before the safety of the masses, if you like. And to have to pull firefighters off active bushfires to allow adequate cover around Sydney harbour .....

To see the volunteer Firecrew who had to drive through it in their Fire truck on the news last night makes you realise just how much of a the Ozzie P.M. was when initially refusing to compensate them for loss of earnings etc.  He's now come up with some money, though no-where enough IMHO.  Maybe he'd like to join them for a day...

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Today would have been my Mums 98th birthday..no need to shed a tear though.. she was as nutty as a bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut... and yes she was a "nut case"!

I've spent much of the hols sorting the loft, with the idea being to downsize dross.  It's much easier to find stuff now, with some stuff junked or due to go on ebay in the process.  Still an awful lot up there though (but all "useful" stuff....)

One of the last boxes I sorted was Chrimbo decorations (I don't bother with them now).  Only to find a Christmas Card & Birthday Card (17th Dec) from me to my Mum.  Boy did that get me, even after nine years :cry::cry:

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

The boat will be hovered up and new tool box will be looked at a little work may be done on it.  I forgot to collect a piano hinge from the parallel bits of metal tube at the MRC, but hopefully I'll pick one up on Friday.

I trust you'll be posting piccies of the finished toolbox when completed?  It's not far off legendary status now....

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Mutlu yıllar! 

This morning I resisted the lure of a bacon sandwich and opted for a pan of menemen - a Turkish breakfast dish - which should set me up nicely for a few hours.

Late yesterday evening I found myself driving through a nearby town centre. Twenty odd years ago, this and other town centres in the county would have been full of boisterous NYE revellers. Fast forward to the last hours of 2019 and it was a very different picture. Of the few remaining pubs, some were busier than a regular Tuesday evening, but nowhere near the numbers of years gone by. Bar one or two, most of the restaurants were practically deserted. I think people have realised that New Year celebrations are a rip off and prefer to stay at home and as noted elsewhere, blow the money on a load of fireworks. Some started round here before sunset!

The house now looks like a Chinese laundry, so a mountain of ironing beckons later. I also need to get the soldering iron out. The weather here is dull but dry at least, so a walk and fresh air is in order.

Regards to all.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2