The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

Andrew C - you'll find the soreness goes away pretty quickly (most of the time).  I think the overall results depends on your starting level of decrepitude hence the effect on my  right knee (12+ years in to arthur's itis) is not bad and I can at least now walk up and down stairs properly but I still get occasional soreness although the creaking and clicking now sounds more norma;.  However my left knee is hardly 2 years in and the jab has been pretty effective although still some occasional soreness (which I didn't get much of before the jab:huh:).  So overall i think it has been well worth the brief pain of having the needle shoved and a bit of subsequent soreness to get to a much better state than things were at  before the needle went in.  Not sore how long it will remain effective for but the GP has said that some patients are still in pretty good shape after receiving their one or two jabs a year for over a dozen years.

Now to much nicer things and a visit to the Cornish model railway shop in Guildford has been duly concluded thanks to a chauffeured trip in the lad's Mini Cooper and some strange instructions from the daft woman inside his satnav.  A commendably well stocked shop (more so than when it opened) with helpful people behind the counter who showed considerable patience with another customer returning something he had bought on Saturday because the contents were 'damaged' - he appeared not to understand how fences on gradients are arranged:o - and was claiming that it had obviously been damaged.  Got even more amusing when it turned out that he hadn't paid for it in the first place.

Very strange nearby multi-storey carpark where we had great difficulty finding a machine where we could pay to get the car out of the car park.  But no sweat - when we eventually found a machine at which we could pay there was a helpful sign telling us where in the car park there were - wait for - machines at which we could pay.  it would probably have made a lot more sense to put these signs by the pedestrian doors on the levels (most of them) where there isn't a machine.   Overall the traffic wasn't too bad with some sections of road fairly empty although Guildford would appear to have been drawing in those in search of sales bargains.

A packet of chicken breasts has emerged from the fridge to contribute meat to this evening's dinner but as the other ingredients will be rice and peppers it does really sound particularly seasonal - but very nice for all that.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

Yes we had that issue in the car park.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Didn't take the young man down to exchange his scooter after all. Every time I phoned his dad there was no answer. He has not mentioned going out today and he recently had a new phone. If I get no reply tomorrow I might pop round to see whats wrong. Not much else to report so I'll be back later. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Yes we had that issue in the car park.

More to do with the CAW TIS ZONE don't do it !!!!! Myself and many of my serious sport colleagues (I wuz on the telly a few times guv) have ended up far worse cause of that.  Ones in a wheelchair cuz of it, my consultant calls it the devil's serum ???

Apologies if I killed the mood slightly.

Regards

Peter

Edited by petrovich
Extra explanation
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Yet another trip to town, as still having "issues" with the IT at the bank, and still not obtained a statement - Barclays really is carp sometimes, as I'm sure the currently absent ChrisF will verify.

I signed up with Barclays when I first went to Uni - they were just across the road from the Union building and bar - so most convenient.  They were good to me when I occasionally struggled back in the day (do you see a connection there?), so I have remained loyal to them ever since.

However, I’m seriously thinking about going over to Santander as their current account pays more in cash back and interest than many of the savings/ISA accounts that are around.  Has anyone got any experience of Santander?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Busier day than expected at work, so no POETNYD.  

Hard frost this morning, which wasn't foreguessed.  Unusual here to have such a hard freeze, only the second frost this winter.  It was dead still, which also was odd after the continual wind of the last few weeks.  Didn't last - windy by lunchtime.

We used to do full power NYE things (Scots father!), but can't be bothered now either.  We'll be in bed by 10 but no doubt the pillock on the corner will be letting fireworks off at midnight.  He's a sort of Audi c*ck type we all know and love.  He used to be a BMW salesman but got the shove, now sells second hand (oldish) cars of the types with no blinky-cators.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

The barrage started early here as well, about 5.00pm!  Intermittent stuff still going off all around. It could be a long night. We are now going out as our friends from next door have invited us in for a drink. (or several)

Happy New Year to all of you lovely folk on here.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

but I was assured that we had no carpet shampoo, so I got two online (and made the mistake of buying four due to a mistake on my part on the website of the mighty ladies), then today found another two - so I've now got enough to last a lifetime - at least it's a cheap make, albeit that it is also the best on the market IMHO.

What make is it - please tell - pretty please...

1 hour ago, BoD said:

However, I’m seriously thinking about going over to Santander as their current account pays more in cash back and interest than many of the savings/ISA accounts that are around.  Has anyone got any experience of Santander?

Been with Santander for years - first class IMHO, with a dead easy website for internet banking and none of those little "calculator" type machines to make life complicated when you want to log in.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Shelling of Hill 60 commenced at 8.20 pip emma but no heavy stuff yet (thank goodness).  No doubt the pr*t up the road and many other of his ilk will let fly with enough firepower to wreck the town at around midnight - depending on the accuracy or otherwise of the time signal on their mobile 'phones and other personal communication devices.

We couldn't easily change to banking with Santander if we wanted to as they shut their branch here at the end of May - duly advising users of their cash machine to go to either Barclays or Lloyds (oddly they didn't mention the NatWest in their online closure notice).  If somebody hasn't got a local facility to pay in cheques or draw cash then they don't get my business - end of.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Arose early this morning, raining hard so nearly went back to bed!  Fortunately no snow as others have suffered but its quite cold.  Phony tree is back in ts box, early this year as a circuit of the lights has been lost and I can't be bothered to fix it right now.:lazy:  Had all sorts of plans for the day but I shan't bother now so I'll 'struggle' though the rest of the day, have our new years dinner, add a little brandy to the eggnog and that should do it!-_-

Celebrations!  What celebrations?:bomb_mini:

Happy New Year

Brian

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

I decided that not wanting to watch the shouting programme of East London,  or either one from somewhere north of here, I departed to the MRC,  where I was joined by two others. 

As SWMBO is now watching Bond making a Spectre of himself again,  I've retired to bed,  demolished some cheese and biccies and am supping some golden liquid. 

The MRC work went well,  mostly attachments to hold two boards together,  I do need the dremel though and I left it inside the boat.  Tomorrow I'll recover that for Friday and at the same time empty the MRC recycling into our bin.

So I'll say in Gaidhlig, bliadhna Mhath Ùr.

And get an hour or did sleep before the earthquake starts half a mile away, 

Oh and as for a Robin  singing. 

• Like 13

As we go about our normal business, spare a thought for those in Australia who have lost everything in some cases.  Everything is at peace where we are while they wonder what can possibly happen next to them.  Whatever the reason, whatever the politics, it pales in comparison to what they have gone through and what may be to come.  Happy new year seems so trite in this situation.

No doubt the similar thoughts could be for the rest of this troubled world and while we may fret over DCC or a broken connection to our trains, the real world has real problems seemingly insurmountable to those whom we have elected to solve them.

Brian.:(

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4