The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

59 minutes ago, pH said:

Iand wrote my first programs on one of these  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programma_101 .  There was only one of them in a whole university department, . 

SNAP - we had one at Wales Gas. Later learned COBOL in the Internal Audit Dept  on Burroughs and later ICL mainframes as Principal Auditor (Computers)

Dave

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My intended programme for this week is being completely shafted due to cancellations on Northern and others. Yesterday extensive road detour for burst water mains due to United Utilities lack of investment and zero maintenance of the system. Now find that first leg of one train trip not running, alternative route middle leg cancelled for part of way.  Now looking at options three and four. If I decide to go ahead it will cost me one hotel booking, a tank full of diesel and staying sober. On top of that I will probably also miss one local gathering to which we are invited.

Not a happy bunny tonight, but glad I haven't already spent £200+ in advance train tickets.

Think I may just stay at home, get the tools out and do some muddeling.  make a big 'Bah Humbug' illuminated sign. I will put it up in a prominent place to annoy the __$$__ out back who has covered his house in lights and leaves them on all night. (expletives deleted)

• Friendly/supportive 19

Just back from breakfast and a matinee viewing of Star Wars accompanied by sons, grandchild and a daughter-in-law.

A very enjoyable morning. After 42 years, it is nice to close the book on the Skywalker saga.

Now being home alone is a bit of a downer, but I will see them all again on Tuesday. I think I will ignore the football (in the absence of the regular college football season, though there are bowl games on, the NFL has invaded Saturday this weekend in addition to owning Sunday) and go out - despite the rain, which is forecast to taper off later today.

I don't know if they do this in UK cinemas but we were subjected to no fewer than NINE previews (along with two advertisements) with the house lights down before the movie today started, but after the advertised start. This took a full 30 minutes. Before the advertised start there is about 20 minutes of projected "infotainment" including previews and advertising with the house lights up.

My son and I have long had a game where we guess how many previews there will be. He guessed eight - which is more than we had ever seen before. In the past seating was open for matinees and we would arrive early to secure a good spot. This is now no longer possible. With the ubiquity of ticket selling apps all seating is now assigned so we made sure to purchase our tickets ahead of time. We knew Star Wars would be a big draw and the cinema was probably 30% full (and concentrated in the 'good' seats). 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well it’s been sunny for most of the day, with just the occasional bit of cloud, but it has been a bit cooler than earlier in the week. The mystery of James’s no show yesterday was that he’d forgotten that he was coming, but that even if he’d remembered, he’d have had to call it off as he’s been ill all week, with suspected noro virus. He did enquire about when he could call round next, but with Sheila’s impending second cataract operation looming, we said it would be best if he kept away until he been clear of infection for at least 4 days and so we’ve arranged for him and Amelia to come round next Friday. 

Vickie and Ian also called round this afternoon and stayed for a while before exchanging Christmas gifts, by the time they went it was quite late, so we decided to have an Indian takeaway. This was followed by a bottle of merlot. 

Goodnight all

• Like 19

28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With the ubiquity of ticket selling apps all seating is now assigned so we made sure to purchase our tickets ahead of time. We knew Star Wars would be a big draw and the cinema was probably 30% full (and concentrated in the 'good' seats). 

We went to the flicks about a month ago. We were going to buy the tickets online but the cheeky blighters apply a surcharge for the "convenience".

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The 2019 winter solstice will arrive here at 20:19 tonight - a little over 90 minutes from now. 

Happy Yule / Solstice / Sol Invictus, etc to you all.

With the heavy overcast we've been having (on the banks of the atmospheric river) for the last few days at the dark end of the year, it's nice to think that brighter days are ahead.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Almost 7.5 hours sleep so a good nights sleep,  some Amber liquid may have had something to do with it. 

Ben the confused Collie got me up,  took me to the back door, but didn't want out,  he reckons I should be going to work, I don't normally get three days in a row off. 

Computers, one of my first tasks working for Marconi, in 1989  was to trundle round various RAF updating computers,  by fitting 5 MB Winchester drives.. 

Other than that,   how about the 920B from  Marconi Elliott, which I did some work on (electronic not programming) ,  transistors and 8k memory, which filled a good part of a room,  then 20 years Later  I worked on  the 920 ATC which fitted in a small box,  for those interested.

http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/software/elliott903/more903/Manuals/index.htm

I then went on a programming course (Ada) for it's replacement, which was based around a 680016, but as usual with such projects it didn't go into service, while i worked for the company. 

The picture down river from the sailing club. Not very helpful but, in an hour I'll check again at https://www.horning-sailing.club/webcam.php?camera=club_down to see the soggyness level.

Time to think about getting a Muggacoffee. 

20191222_063559636.jpeg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's a nice image, but I'm guessing the water level is not supposed to be quite that high.

There's not an awful lot you can do about the water level in a tidal inlet!  :no:

Maybe I should post a photo of that area at low tide for comparison.

Edited by pH
  • Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Same web cameras,  The water level is high,  it's level with the top of the quay heading. 

20191222_081335788.jpegand down at Potter heigham bridge that should be land behind the moored boats

20191222_082730482.jpeg

It's a good job it's out of season,  the tin shed top right is a boat hire company, there should be land round that as well..  Oh and it's low tide...... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Think I may just stay at home, get the tools out and do some muddeling.  make a big 'Bah Humbug' illuminated sign. I will put it up in a prominent place to annoy the __$$__ out back who has covered his house in lights and leaves them on all night. (expletives deleted)

Wait until January, then you can make a sign which reads:

"Big Leccy Bill?

Ha Ha - :lol:"

• Like 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1