The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Further to what I was saying about 100th birthdays. A lot of my contemporaries also have parents who would have reached the ton recently and one or two actually made it. A lot more are in their 90's and rapidly approaching their 100th. We sometimes forget that a baby boom followed the First World War as well as WW2. What is also forgotten is the enormous contribution and sacrifice that that generation made for us, the NHS for one.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, Dry and cloudy at least we have no rain at the moment. Busy couple of days mainly  around shopping etc. Good news is we are almost done and I am not needed for the final bits!!!

So its shed time over the next couple of days which could do with a tidy up and stuff put in some kind of order.

Enjoy your day

Alan

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

...snip...

How come I can pull apart a freezer and fix it but I am afraid of tackling scenery on a model railway or wiring up points - I really don't understand myself sometimes. ...snip...

Welcome to the club! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still got to test my new acquisition. Rather unusual for Hattons the box it arrived in although still rather large was not too much so. There was an item on TV a few days ago about an experimental machine that laser scans the item to be boxed and then cuts and bends a sheet of cardboard to make a box the required size.

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Big problem for me is ..if you are on a drip why go outside to have a fag? Indeed, why use our NHS services if you aren't going to help yourself!

Now for a bit of catch up..TTFN

Baz

Talking of lighting up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/smoker-blows-up-car-lights-21103625

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

It was not an arduous session which started with a mighty erection and then a lot of  screwing, then glueing down of foam underlay.

As Ian said.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Big problem for me is ..if you are on a drip why go outside to have a fag? Indeed, why use our NHS services if you aren't going to help yourself!

At Harlow Hospital main entrance, at around half six or so every morning you'll see a gathering of patients in wheelchairs etc. etc. with drips and all sorts of other medical paraphernalia puffing away.  By the look of many of them that's the very reason that put them in hospital in the first place.

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

On top of that, this morning I managed to damage our cooker so we'll need a new one of those next. We'd just got back home with some shopping, I walked into the kitchen with an armful of stuff and promptly dropped a 24 pack of bottled beer on the ceramic hob, smashing it to bits. I'm typing this from the doghouse by the way... :rolleyes:.

Consuming alcohol to excess is bad for you......

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2019 at 14:19, Ian Abel said:

HUMP day, already ;)

Nothing of note yesterday, another quiet day overall, unless you count... nah, nothing  <yawn>

Obligatory picture of the transport for the week, another Charger - really do love the "get-up-and-go" this beast has;

Charger-12-19-1.jpg.203f2ad4f715306f65506d168841fe3e.jpg

-1 this morning with the local forecasters issuing dire warning that would have you believe we were in Antarctica! Supposed to make +3 with a slight chance of a snow flurry.

onward and upward :)

Here's "my" Charger (Kuwait, January 2014); not sure how long an Air Filter lasts though, judging by the state of the engine.  Had real fun with that car (though the auto transmission kickdown was SOOOOOO-Slow).  Fuel was around 6p a Litre from memory (bottled water was dearer) and I wasn't paying for the tyres.....

Played "Dukes of Hazzard" for a couple of weeks in that (the original series, not the junk remake) but sadly Daisy was just out of camera shot....

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Big problem for me is ..if you are on a drip why go outside to have a fag? 

It's called addiction. Some studies show nicotine can be more addictive than opioids. 

• Agree 12

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Here's "my" Charger (Kuwait, January 2014); not sure how long an Air Filter lasts though, judging by the state of the engine.  Had real fun with that car (though the auto transmission kickdown was SOOOOOO-Slow). 

That's the little engine. You should have had the 5.7 (no kickdown required).

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's the little engine. You should have had the 5.7 (no kickdown required).

The Boss moaned like a stuck pig when he got the bill for that one.  There was a "hot" option from the rental company, but the subsequent grief just wasn't worth the extra fun.  I particularly liked the "who dares wins" roundabout in rush-hour.  I had the added advantage of being in a rental car, so tended to win.....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Sounds like an extortion racket. Is the car park operated by Piranha Bros, Ltd?

Yep. it's an ongoing problem at hospitals over here with league tables for parking charges being published of the best and worst. Ours is by no means amongst the worst!

42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Consuming  Carrying alcohol to excess is bad for you......

There you go, fixed that for you.  :yes:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... all related to JFK unable to handle even the simplest of weather circumstances 

Some light snow and gusting winds last afternoon/evening - leaving barely a trace on the ground - was the cause of the JFK problems AND a reason for all the people working around me to be issuing doom and gloom predictions.

Ian, did you see the time lapse footage of yesterday's NY snow squall?

Even though it resulted in merely a dusting, there's no question that a well-defined front moving like that would play merry Harry with air traffic.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

The Boss moaned like a stuck pig when he got the bill for that one.  There was a "hot" option from the rental company, but the subsequent grief just wasn't worth the extra fun.  I particularly liked the "who dares wins" roundabout in rush-hour.  I had the added advantage of being in a rental car, so tended to win.....

Our state highway police drive Chargers. I imagine they have the 5.7 probably with some performance enhancing features. I had the 5.7 in my pickup truck but I got rid of it after it broke a valve spring.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3