The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Lots of drumlins in Paisley. My parents' house was built on one. Convenient for sledding but we never seemed to get enough snow.

Even through the 1962/3 winter? :huh: I think we had a couple of months of sledging, just down the road from you.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Scared the bejeesus out of a flyboyby tracking himusing thermal..no live rounds so he could fly on...

Dad said on a dark and foggy night on his first sentry duty somewhere in the northeast of England he nearly shot a sheep. He hadn’t heard one cough before. I don’t suppose thermal sights existed back in the 1940s. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

By the time I was doing guard duties in the north east in the 1980s, we could safely protect the place with ....

a torch and a whistle....

Outside of annual  35 shots at a target, we  never got issued with an SLR unless on excersize,   and never even received blank rounds...  I do remember plodding slowly through 3ft of snow, while walking the perimeter and checking unmanned buildings... 

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, pH said:

Even through the 1962/3 winter? :huh: I think we had a couple of months of sledging, just down the road from you.

I was a bit too old by then although I do remember walking across the frozen Cart near the Canal Line with my cousins and brothers.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AndyID said:

Crikey! Someone just sent me this. I've no idea what it is. Any suggestions?

DiamondX.JPG.e30709df7b5384eb9c997155af55971f.JPG

It looks like a 30° crossing with an illustrated parts breakdown of the replaceable parts shown in their respective locations. The parts shown look like guard rails, note the angled approaches to guide the flange into the flangeway.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Our new (Bosch) fridge freezer came from our small friendly local dealer who is a member of the Euronics Buying Group.

https://www.euronics.co.uk/store-finder?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZrruZXA5gIVDLTtCh3bUwkIEAAYASAEEgJdNPD_BwE

There are apparently 600 independent dealers in the UK  (and thousands more worldwide) who are members and they can offer prices comparable with the likes of Curry. (and in the case of our guy a better service)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Decided to give the club a miss tonight. Still got the cold hanging on, its not full man-flu but a Lem-sip fortified with a bit of Caledonian falling down water is in order before bed tonight. Bin day tomorrow so have to get them out before bedtime. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

On a school skiing trip, many years ago I had to go to a bank to withdraw the pupil’s spending money.  I was carrying several million Lira.  Just under a thousand pounds I think it was.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I worked in a payroll department for 30 years. We had four armoured Transit vans for delivering wages to various sites. The vans only lasted two or three years before they were knackered due to the weight of the armour. One of the vans had the front suspension collapse, fortunately it wasn't carrying any cash. The local Ford dealer sent another Transit breakdown truck to tow it in. The tow truck driver got a shock when the front of the tow truck started lifting off the ground. In the end they had to use a heavier tow truck.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

During a shopping trip with SWMBO today I spotted a bottle of Penderyn Welsh single malt and doubtless due to the influence of a certain pachyderm not far from here decided to buy it and see what it is like. Then this evening the guys from the jazz band who practice in our workshop every other Wednesday gave me a present to say thank you for letting them use the place which was ...... a bottle of Penderyn. Having now accumulated the stuff I do hope that I like it; do I hear rumblings of approval from a certain muddy hollow?

With feelings for GDB, Woodenhead and John during their trials and tribulations as well as others who ail I bid you all a pleasant and peaceful night. 

Dave

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of money and banks when I first arrived in Hong Kong back in 1966 once I had to deputize for the Cash Officer on a Saturday and after the bank closed had to go down to the vault to check the cash before the doors were closed and locked for the weekend.

The total cash in the vault that was just about the equivalent of one million pounds, the first and last time I actually saw one million pounds in the flesh!!

It was also interesting that the Honkers and Shankers and the Chartered Bank issued bank notes on behalf of the Hong Kong Government. The Government only issued coins and 1 cent notes equivalent, if I remember correctly, to about 100th of 1/6d.

When last in Hong Kong (a few years ago) bank notes were issued by Bank of China, HSBC and Standard Chartered.

Keith

• Informative/Useful 18

• RMweb Premium

About 40 years ago I was riding the Black Horse around a Lincolnshire Market Town and we often had to go to one of the other 'Big Four' to buy cash from them as we had gone below our minimum cash balance and needed more to make up the wages for the town's largest employer. Even in those days I would be walking through town with ten grand in my pocket and more if there were two of us.

After redundancy in the late 1990s I had a temporary Christmas job at a major high street store in Derby where I counted more cash than we had at the bank. Normally we had cash in from local shops, loaded it into the Cashpoint and it was spent in the shops - the same money went around in circles and so we had a low overnight balance. In the store at that time almost everyone still paid cash and it went away daily to a regional cash centre - it took 3 of us to count and check it all every day. Of course now most of the banks are closed and everyone shops online or use their card(s) in shops so I guess the cash in the bank is even less.

Mike

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1