The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do vigil services (which might begin after or around sundown on Christmas Eve) count as Advent or Christmas?

In the Anglican and Catholic traditions Midnight mass starts on Christmas Eve and ends on Christmas Day. It's called the first communion of Christmas as the communion takes place (or should take place) on Christmas Day.

Days start at Midnight, not sunset. This is different from the Jewish tradition where, for instance, the Sabbath starts at sunset on Friday and continues to sunset on Saturday.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

... the communion takes place (or should take place) on Christmas Day

my emphasis.

It's my understanding that the the denominations you reference do offer vigil Christmas services in the evening of Christmas Eve.  I have fond memories of the midnight service. Once the youngest of my brothers and sisters were old enough, we would attend the midnight service and afterwards would be permitted to open one small present before going to bed.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

none of this American all done before Boxing Day sort of thing in our house!

Most Americans will leave their decorations up until New Years. With New Year's Day occurring on a Wednesday, I can imagine a lot of decorations coming down over the weekend of the 28th / 29th, football games not withstanding.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After this morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, apart from baking the fruit tea loaf, not a lot else has been done. I must admit it’s been rather nice. 

Tomorrow will be different, as I will be making a huge pan of spaghetti bolognese and a salted caramel cheesecake ready for our usual midweek guests. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The shower waste runs along the bottom and that will acquire an in line trap.  The sink waste will be cut off near the top of the 32mm part and have some new pipework added to mate up with the new sink.  The washer waste will connect into the sink waste trap and on the right where the washer waste is running temporarily I will add a U bend for the dishwasher waste.  The pipework has obviously been  added to over the years which is why there are two sets of hot and cold feeds.  One in 12mm pipe to the sink and one in 16mm to the shower.  The new bathroom spurs off the 16mm pipes just out o to the left.  More insulation will be added as well.  It should keep me quiet for a day.

Crikey! Where's the skinny copper pipe that merges into waste coming from? Is the waste line connected to a roof vent or does it drain into a vented trap outside the building?

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

There was an interesting piece in the news this morning.  Apparently, Plants emit an ultrasonic "scream" at between 20 and 100KHz when they are cut or damaged.  The paper concerned has yet to be peer reviewed, but I was reminded of one of Roald Dahl's "Tales of the Unexpected".  I seem to remember that one of those was about a Man who invented a machine that could hear plants and trees screaming.

Very "last Century stuff' ;)

Exactly how or why I found myself at the U of E at an exhibition of similar goings-on is steeped in the mists of antiquity but MrsID still hasn't forgiven me for the return journey when some jerk rammed the back of her VW 1500.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2