The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Rather cool and cloudy at the moment and it is to remain unsteady. However, we're supposed to be getting back to 20ish degrees towards the weekend.

Now for some breakfast...have a good one!

Morning All,

It is a much nicer morning here today. We had cold wind and rain yesterday, so it is nice to see the sun this morning.

and it needs a new timing belt (another £300 job as to get at the timing belt you have to take the engine out).

Take the engine out?!? To replace the cam belt?!? What sort of a carp design is that?

Cam belts are bad enough in themselves - just an excuse to save a few pence by replacing the good old timing chain with something that is going to need replacing more often. However, that takes the biscuit.

What sort of car do you have sixoh? I'll have to put it on my "cars to avoid" list.

Have a good day everyone...

Mundane is the right word. Grey and fairly chilly (showing 2C right now).

Mornin' all. I was somewhat looking forward to having today off work, but there you go. Friday'll work too.

Morning all....:)

I was giving some thought to the price of my new loco and the reaction those numbers inevitably create. Comparing prices outside our hobby is always an interesting exercise as taken on their own, these things appear to be very expensive, yet even within our own thread we have comments about car servicing and replacement components that come out to a similar value. To me the amount of engineering, hours of development and assembly time that goes into production of these beautiful items has more worth than two tyres or an exhaust system. I know these are essentials and railway items are a luxury, but considered on their own, it's hard to see where the value is.

Just step back for a minute and think about things you may have purchased. There are always things that may seem expensive in their own field, but when compared to other items they strike me as very good value for what they are. I happen to enjoy items of engineering expertise whereas clothes and fashion do nothing for me. I have friends who regularly spend similar money on new clothes or who may choose to take a two week holiday. We happen to prefer low cost mid week breaks in the UK where we can take our dogs with us and walk along a beach. Two week holidays are over too quickly and the cost very expensive. Of course you will have happy memories when you return, but I'll be able to enjoy my loco for years ahead.

I'm probably starting to waffle now, so excuse me whilst I go and try to get this beast working.....;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I have ventured out to put our small amount of rubbish out. It is rather cool at the moment. My car will be having its first MOT tomorrow so I shall tidy up the interior and remove the dog box after I've taken Robbie out later this morning.

A parcel for me may arrive today containing something to add to my railway. Hopefully it should be easy to fit a decoder to and then it can trundle along the computer desk track, no 22" curves to worry about but I suspect that it would go round 18" curves anyway!

Tony

Morning all!

I've done a little bit of googling on the Ford Focus timing belt... and thanks to Mick for his DMs too. According to the websites I've checked, it shouldn't require the engine to be taken out, but will require the catalytic converter to be removed. Given they need to do that to fit a new sump pan, that ought to make doing the two things together cheaper. Maybe. I'm going to phone round a couple of other places to get quotes too before making any decisions on this.

Gordon, don't worry about justifying the cost of the loco. Given the beauty of the engineering, I'd do the same. In fact if I had the cash to spare (I don't sadly, and at this rate probably never will!) I'd be buying one of the Golden Age A4s, which are considerably more expensive than your loco! And I'd definitely rather pay £1000 for one of those than for car repairs if I had the choice (and the money!).

Anyway, time I was heading to work. Just can't seem to get going this week.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all....:)

I was giving some thought to the price of my new loco and the reaction those numbers inevitably create. Comparing prices outside our hobby is always an interesting exercise as taken on their own, these things appear to be very expensive, yet even within our own thread we have comments about car servicing and replacement components that come out to a similar value. To me the amount of engineering, hours of development and assembly time that goes into production of these beautiful items has more worth than two tyres or an exhaust system. I know these are essentials and railway items are a luxury, but considered on their own, it's hard to see where the value is.

Just step back for a minute and think about things you may have purchased. There are always things that may seem expensive in their own field, but when compared to other items they strike me as very good value for what they are. I happen to enjoy items of engineering expertise whereas clothes and fashion do nothing for me. I have friends who regularly spend similar money on new clothes or who may choose to take a two week holiday. We happen to prefer low cost mid week breaks in the UK where we can take our dogs with us and walk along a beach. Two week holidays are over too quickly and the cost very expensive. Of course you will have happy memories when you return, but I'll be able to enjoy my loco for years ahead.

I'm probably starting to waffle now, so excuse me whilst I go and try to get this beast working.....;)

Spot on Gordon - I sometimes agonise over spending what to some are relatively small amounts (try living on Southern water wages...) but then exactly the same thinking as yours kicks in.

Then I don't eat for a month :)

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, The clouds are back. Is that because I threatened to get the golf bats out again?

I'm with you Gordon, the loco may appear to be an expensive bit of kit but it should be trundling around for a good many years as opposed to some piece of fashionable tat that will be in the bin in a years time. Mind you I always assumed you were a dedicated follower of fashion!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

The Beastie moves and makes all the right noises, but my NCE ProCab doesn't want to know re programming. The Triplex was the same and I'll have to dig deep to recall how I changed the basic configuration. From memory it had to be PoM and done by changing CV's the long way round, so will get round to that another day.

Running quality is superb with no jerkiness or hesitation whatsoever. Possibly the best runner I have......B)

Done a little more on Eastwood 2, so may have something to show soon.

• RMweb Gold
but the complexities of getting chips to speak to controllers

Mine don't usually talk back - I just usually tell them to hurry up and cook as I'm hungry...

Gordon,

I dunno but Craig Z. may be able to help with programming if you get stuck, I think he has had some experience with MTH......

Price comparisons are odious - some of what I've spent on American guitars would be enough to make anyone faint - I mean I don't think I have one that is worth less than $2,500.00 and I currently own 19 (or so). Although I always use the analogy of what a Mechanic spends on "Snap On" tools

"Model Railways" is still a relatively inexpensive hobby.

Best, Pete.

Cracked it! :D

Two main issues. You have to use PoM and the loco was set up as '3' not '03' nor '003' or even '0003'.

Setting CV29 to 38 will set up the running number to 9512.

You can also use this calculator. Very useful! :)

http://ruppweb.dyndns.org/xray/comp/decoder.htm

Entering 9512 into the calculator provides a value of 229 for CV17 and 40 for CV 18. I haven't tried this route but am sure it will be fine.

Just need to get my loop in position and switch on. MIght have something done tomorrow.

Yabba dabba doo!

• RMweb Gold

Cracked it! :D

Just need to get my loop in position and switch on. MIght have something done tomorrow.

Have you got enough coal hoppers for it to pull?

Locomotives get the chance to pull some fairly long trains on the Essex Belt Lines (the club of which I am a member).

http://www.youtube.com/user/spald32#p/u/0/9RRYdab473c

I'm sure your 4 12 2 would cope!