The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

There were similar problems with post in the UK when they brought in the strict size weight rules.  Various club magazine producers mailed them out, having had them weighted and approved at their local post office. Then had reports from around the country of some post offices wanting to charge extra to the receipiant. 

They had a panic at work wanting the temperature meter that I was intending to cal today. So yesterday they set someone else on it... It takes me about 4 hours for a pre adjust cal... I had to show him how to do some of it this morning... That's 7 hours he spent on it so far....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Plus I'm still in the doghouse about losing my wedding ring.  I know many men don't wear them, but it is something I feel you should, if your wife/partner/etc does..... commitment works both ways.  It's the third one, but the other two got damaged rather than lost.  This was a Celtic job bought when we moved here and is very sentimental. Bu&&er. I'm in a right grump over it too, TBH.

I hope you find it, but if not then buy a very cheap replacement (actually buy several, without Mrs NHN knowing...).  Then if you lose the first you have back-ups, so you'll not be in the doggie house again.  It might be an idea to wear the rings in rotation, so as to get them marked/scratched etc. in unison.  If in ten years time your ring suddenly became pristine Mrs NHN might smell a rat.....*

(*One way out would be to say you've used your modelling skills to polish it all up.  Only then you'd no doubt be presented with a box full of jewellery for similar treatment.  And then her friends jewellery....).  Risky strategy. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Mystery sort of solved. I need to get a move on as The Boss is going out for the day shopping with Nicki. As NIcki is picking her up I couldn't see how this affects me but apparently it does. :scratchhead:I have been warned not to slip, fall over or collapse whilst she is out on pain of severe retribution.

I'll try to comply. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Still coughing up my lungs. SWMBO overheard a woman in the chemist yesterday complaining that her cough/cold has gone on for 5 weeks so far. If that's the case I've still got at least 2 weeks left. Blergh! 

I learned recently that I was coughing incorrectly and had to master huffing and coughing techniques. There are of course YouTube videos! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Well my memory was nearly right.  It was actually 28th August 1989.

All 3 carriers were present along with 3 Type 42 Destroyers (Manchester, Birmingham and Gloucester)

4 Leander Class Frigates (Achilles, Andromeda, Charybdis and Hermione)

Hunt Class Minesweeper (Middleton)

RFA Tidespring

Royal Yacht Britannia and a couple of Dutch and German ships.

There were others but I haven't got photos or they were too far away to identify.

According to Wikipedia at that time we had about 6 Type 21s, 15 Type 22s, 12 Type 42s, 14 Leanders, umpteen minesweepers and about 30 subs.

How times have changed.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

And my day has just got slightly better as I've won £30 on the lottery.

its your round...

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Nicki has just picked up Chris to go shopping and I offered to buy their lunch!  :rolleyes:

Can't go down The Shed yet as I've just been advised that more parcels are coming today and the flippin' repeater for the door bell has packed up.   :banghead: 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

And I am a solo late arrival at the Wheeltappers’s ball this morn!

I shall make an effort to take the long drag up to Shap on Sunday Baz. At the end of the 1960’s I did just that On the A6 in an old Ford Consul on my way to Glasgow - happy days! I have also noted the Stationmaster’s planned movements for the end of winter according to my old style seasonal calendar. 

Daughter and mutt have visited and SWMBO has been informed that she is over-reacting somewhat in her criticism of the quality of the new furniture. There is more chance Madam will take that on board than when I make such comments. Still, if I can’t take a joke, I shouldn’t have joined (wedded bliss, my ar$e). I have been tasked with babe sitting the youngest terrorists ce soir as the elder three and their parents will be watching some highly paid prima-donnas fall over with feigned hurt at the slightest opportunity at some fancy stadium near Finsbury Park Station and SWMBO is out at her Thursday Club Xmas Bash. On that note of deep joy, I shall retire to the man cave and do a bit of wiring. I do not fear the wrath of Debs, it is outside lighting and nothing to do with that which draws opprobrium from The Great Awl-Seeing Eye :mocking_mini:

Later.....

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

ooohh there is something going on..

A sleigh has landed in the T Bar, without red nosed locomotive forces, added to that a train of tables has been arranged with snowflake patterned paper on them.. There are popcorn machines sat in a corner..

No emails have yet come forth, as to say when arrival is happening and what is being conveyed....

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A tad chilly this morning and it is just warming up. It got cold very early last night, I even had to scrape the ice off of the car last night before going to the club. Bank statement arrived yesterday, WFA was on there, about 2 weeks earlier than usual. Thats all for now, be back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

I was out early to drop a neighbours son in Aldershot the lack of local buses and routes means a 10 minute car journey takes an hour on the bus he was sitting his HGV theory test which he passed 

came back after collecting him later via the flat to see the estate manager some good news about the roof they are fixing it tomorrow, I've the contract sitting here to be sign that can go back to the

Solicitors Monday, slapped #rse will be pleased but the new year is a more realistic date to move the 23rd was possible and words like take the p!ss were mentioned I doubt if the removal company

would want to do it then (they can't).

Must get on enjoy your day :superman:A Cabbie:biggrin_mini2:

Stop Press just found a lady who does stewarding on mainline steam. :wub:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

One has been working cutting sleeper strip and crossing noses for the latest 7 mm scale model railway exploits.

I'll  start on the wing rails this afternoon. 

Like John (CB) I am able to mention this without fear of awlful retribution because I only use Debs's Specialty 31.5 mm gauges for my track construction.

So this message is an advertissyment(sic) for a fine product. 

(I have no connection with the above manufacturer except as a satisfied customer.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

And my day has just got slightly better as I've won £30 on the lottery.

Don't tell the wife...

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Ha! Nicki has just picked up Chris to go shopping and I offered to buy their lunch!  :rolleyes:

Too late..... :banghead:

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Ah the sleigh and train of tables was for a sort of Christmas party.... Nibbles and schlur for free.. the food arrived half an hour late, that what was meant to be hot wasn't and they've run out about 3/4 the way down the queue of people..

Since I was not expecting it had my sandwich anyway.. 

Good job they don't make beer here..

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 81C said:

Don't you just love Solicitors you get an email from them stating please see the attachments, what bloody attachments. 

There's an additional fee if you want the attachments too.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 12