The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I have seen a woman get off at London bridge in the peak hour crush holding her laptop and walk along whilst watching video on it. There was a report a few years ago that said 150 people a year have fallen off platforms whilst looking at their mobile.

Saw a woman driving in Kuwait with a baby on her lap.  Whilst looking at a Tablet.....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Just talked with NHN.. I need an awful lot of points.....so that is the 2020 modelling token pile somewhat diminished.

So the track plan is now firmly cast in concrete I take it Baz? :rolleyes:

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Woke early not feeling particularly well. Hopefully I will improve to allow me to take a trip to Skipton today. Why? Wel me ans her indoors fancy a trip out and ...we are on the search for a bottle of Old Monk Indian Rum. Apparently the whisky shop in Skipton has bottles available.

Now for a bit more sleep....

Baz

If you can't find it, the Whisky Exchange (which inconveniently for you is in Covent Garden) does it:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/14586/old-monk-7-year-old-rum

they do online delivery (if you dare)!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I think the chap who pulled out of his drive yesterday  and attempted to occupy the same bit of space-time as me certainly wasn’t using a phone. He didn’t seem to be able to move his head left or right and just stared ahead. I think his passenger may have been giving instructions. Unlike “real” Land Rovers the modern ones have very good brakes. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have no problem with Yellow Snow - its rather nice, well this version is!!

https://www.rogue.com/stories/spruce-up-winter-with-yellow-snow

I really don’t like the taste of any beer with added conifer bits. Unless it was the ones I tried and the yellow snow tastes different!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. SEERS tonight, last meeting this year so sausage rolls, mince pies and cake are the order tonight. Also it is track night so a chance to test my latest acquisitions. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

due to potential insurance invalidation

Is this mentioned on your policy? The only thing on ours is a limit to how long you can be away for, so if someone I suppose posted they were on a round the world cruise that could invalidate the insurance.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is this mentioned on your policy? The only thing on ours is a limit to how long you can be away for, so if someone I suppose posted they were on a round the world cruise that could invalidate the insurance.

……..and what about those who constantly post on twitface-agram whilst on holiday?

Yes, we know, but do they also risk invalidating household insurance?

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Listen very carefully, I will say this only once and quietly so that I do not get attacked by the awl: It is an SLW sound fitted Class 24 two tone green D5040   which has been on order for over a year.

WOT DID YOU SAY IT WAS Bob?:nono::laugh:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 19

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Yes, we know, but do they also risk invalidating household insurance?

Indulge me with a little rant if you would.

I don't know whether the insurance industry is materially different in the UK than the US and I can only speak from observations in the US. Cumulatively people spend vast amounts of money on insurance with the expectation that, if needed, payments are made.

Insurance companies often seem to be in the business of looking for ways to not honour their policies* yet they spend vast sums of money on advertising their undifferentiated products. It would be fascinating to know what their expenses actually look like. I should look up the financial statements of such companies but I'm guessing that their expenses are likely to be 1. wages, 2. marketing 3. policy payouts

* Particularly during natural disasters like hurricanes. People think they are covered but storm surge damage is flooding, which is not covered under most homeowner's policies.

In my opinion insurers should be expected to pay up for losses, even if the homeowner left the door unlocked or advertised online that they were on holidays**. Insurers employ actuaries to statistically assess risk. I trust their ability to make the statistical mathematics work in the favour of the insurance company. If they don't it's not the consumer's fault.

** Unless these exceptions are clearly documented in the policy.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Hyperbole removed
  • Like 6
  • Agree 10

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm guessing that their expenses are likely to be 1. wages, 2. marketing 3. policy payouts

Probably being a little too cynical there. I did sample one large insurance company's annual report. (My insurer.) As you might expect, the financial statement of a larger insurer is pretty complicated. Financials did indicate that property and casualty claims were about 3x the operating expenses. (I didn't comb through long enough to find their advertising costs.)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There we encountered sprouts halved top to bottom, the outer leaves stripped but reserved, the veg par-boiled until just yielding to the fork then seared in olive oil with kaffir lime leaves and breadcrumbs.  The result was served garnished with the outer leaves (which had stayed a darker shade of green) and were crispy and delicious.  I have re-created the same at home at it also works well with a few lardons or chunks of bacon tossed in at the frying stage. 

Sprouts, like most vegetables when cooked properly, are delicious! Sadly, too many people are frightened of them and boil them to a pulp (thank goodness that Wetherspoons discontinued their Sunday Roast, the carrots and sprouts were totally inedible!)

Given that most veg (carrots, broccoli, peas, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, sweet corn, et alia) can be eaten raw, why waste energy ruining them?

• Like 11
  • Agree 3