The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, Robert said:

However, the best way to cross the channel will always be the Hovercraft!  Even today, nothing is faster.

Have a good day everyone...

About 20 minutes, IIRC, much the same as the Eurorats!

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmm user won't release the shunts..

So I've started a outside customers temperature meter, It arrives via our european bases booking in system.

The code on the traveller  Shows it's measurement & record only, which is very much cheaper than measure & record, adjust, measure & record.  This is the same as last year, except also on the traveller ths year  and on a BIG  label on the unit.. Alignment required. The traveller says also Do Not adjust the code..

Me thinks, someone on the the continent has a "special " deal..

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning from the south west highlands of Leeds. It feels a bit cold here but I'm still under the duvet.  A good day was had yesterday and many trains were seen for the first time. In between times I got various texts from offspring about house moves. Rachel's chain has broken a link so they are going to stay with friends while the remaining link is reforged.  Paul has finished packing and moving so I'm off to meet estate agents and solicitors this morning along with collecting paint for shutters. 

We drove onto the beach at Boulogne and hardly stopped as we were the last car on. 25 minutes later we were on the concrete ramp at Dover. A great pity that thd service finished.

Anyway it's time to get up.

Regards to all.

Jamie

I do hope that Rachel doesn’t suffer a protracted period getting her chain reconnected, it can be very stressful as my recent experiences show!

• Like 8
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, bright and chilly outside. We did the channel hovercraft once, would be better today with noise cancelling headphones :).

I am tasked with awaiting a ParcelFarce delivery as madam is expecting a new coat and she has more pressing things to do (gassing with daughter I believe). Today is the last local Farmers Market before Christmas. Oxtail, steaks, lamb chops and liver are to be obtained plus eggs from another purveyor. The decorative wood panels that I mentioned yesterday are stored in the wrong part of the garage, why am I not surprised?
A little light electrical bodging is called for to connect a secondary circuit interrupter in the internal cabinet illumination system that is part of the expensive kitchen dresser / unit. As this includes two SMPSU’s and operates at 12V DC, I shall use  a single two-pole switch. Phase two (in which Doris gets her oats - according to John Lennon anyway) will involve the installation of the tv from the lounge once a new model has been acquired. I know which model I would like, it is the big one that shows fish swimming around a haunted coral reef :mocking_mini:.

Other tasks on today’s list include wrapping son’s birthday present ready for Monday - definitely not as mature as our Sutton correspondent who celebrates his the previous day, chopping some logs into sizes that will fit our miserly log burner and being ready coiled like a tiger to spring into action at any subsequent behest that may be transferred telepathically or whispered from 20 paces by herself. I hope all readers and writers of this gentle literary ramble have a better day than yesterday and overcome whatever needs to be overcome. Carp E DM as Baz would say!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

It's chilly here - a drop of around 12C since yesterday - started at +10 yesterday around 10 am, and dropped to -2 at 7.30 this morning.  This was forecast, and as a result, I put the cover on the car when I brought 30747 back from work,  The builder working across the road from us asked why I was doing this, and was incredulous that I thought I might need it.  Obviously nobody else in the street was listening to the forecast either, as we were showering and so on to the sound of scraping of some of the neighbours' cars at about 6.40.  We went out at 7.25, took the cover off the car, and away. 

So anyways, it's generic greetings all round to the ailing and the celebrating.   And I wonder how long the Awl has been suspended, Debs?   BTW, how many years ago was the pic of you driving the pannier taken? 

So chez 45156, it's the last creative writing class today - sadly, as Marian is a really good teacher, and my writing has improved as a result.  I think that it was money well spent.  Then there's a shopping list to be obtained in Lancaster, a visit to Barclays for a battle with theit infernal IT, back home to walk Lily, and then into town again to pick up 30747 who has to visit the fangmeister after work (regrettably she's working 5 sessions this week as she's covering sick and holidays for colleagues).

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

An exciting day in prospect as 'we' have decided that an attempt to dispose of the several tons of leaves that currently lie in drifts around chez nous has to be made - deep joy. Apart from that I have to look at renewing our energy supply contract, which comes to an end soon, and it's my turn to do the cooking this evening. We're having a sort of Scottish smoked haddock stew called cullen skink.

During my time in the RAF I've flown in helicopters many times from Whirlwinds to Sea Kings and Chinooks and even had goes waggling the levers. Each time I've come away thinking that although they are a great way to get around and do a great job in many situations, I was glad that I was on fixed wing.

Have a good one people.

Dave

Many sympathies with you Dave, we had a number of ash trees in and around the previous stately pile and this season always meant dealing with piles (not of the anal kind) of fallen leaves. Thankfully our bijou little place here doesn’t have anything more than three very small fruit trees.

Cullen skink is a delightful dish IMHO, although we tend to do a baked version that uses eggs and flour to bind and is served with roast potatoes.

As for rotary wing flying machines, I have never had a go in a fixed wing device but spent a few hours at the controls of a few helos. I absolutely loved it, particularly when controlling a venerable Augusta Bell that was a bit like the old MASH versions with the huge Perspex bubble. If I didn’t follow the expensive hobby that draws us together, I would have loved to do more rotary wing stuff.

I hope you are not N-Powered, it looks like they may be the next potential failure in our dubious energy market judging by lay-offs and noises from the German parent. I have been more than happy with a smaller company called I-Supply Energy (no commercial link) for five years now - competitive prices and good customer service.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and it looks as if its here for the weekend and into next week as well. Still recovering from the exertions of last weekend just as well theres no shows etc. this weekend. Wishing you all a good POETS day, be back later.

• Like 16

Morning all(just) I have been up for a while, just catching up on forums. I have never had the desire to jump from anything of height, I did fall out of a tree as a kid collecting conkers once. However should I win tonight's lotto along with a Koenigsegg a helicopter of some sort will be top of my shopping list, great way to travel, I can still remember waiting at Aberdeen heliport in the early 80's  with the sky full of choppers, I remarked on this to a fellow traveller who told me that a lot of the pilots were Yanks from the Vietnam war, it is a very quiet heliport these days by comparison. Those Chinooks flew in all weathers, we saw thick fog and 100mph winds when the cranes on the rig had to be tied down, but those choppers were still flying, standing on a rig heli-deck as one came in is an experience I still remember well.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning afternoon everyone 

Late on parade today, we were late up so I can only assume we needed the rest. As I was late I didn’t have time to post before I headed out to the Trafford Centre, however, I wasn’t there long as it was very busy. I arrived at the TC just after 10 o’clock and was back home having visited Asda and the butchers as well. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Robert said:

However, the best way to cross the channel will always be the Hovercraft!  Even today, nothing is faster.

Now there I have to disagree. The noise and vibration made me feel sick as a dog, something a late October ferry crossing in a storm didn't.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

I do hope that Rachel doesn’t suffer a protracted period getting her chain reconnected, it can be very stressful as my recent experiences show!

friends of SiL have had to use a bucket for more than 2 years because "he" won't or can't fix it and refuses to spend money on a plumber and "she" doesn't want to go against him.

apparently the bathroom door is off too, so you have to whistle....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12