The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm seeing lots of RMweb timeouts today. When not timing out, I'm seeing lots of spinning circles. I'm wondering if the host servers are seeing extra traffic today with the Thanksgiving holiday.

With ubiquitous connectivity, the notion of "Cyber Monday"* (the online selling day following "Black Friday" in-store sales) is a thing of the past.

* People waited until getting to the office on Monday where they had a stronger internet connection than dial-up modems at home.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm seeing lots of RMweb timeouts today. When not timing out, I'm seeing lots of spinning circles. I'm wondering if the host servers are seeing extra traffic today with the Thanksgiving holiday.

With ubiquitous connectivity, the notion of "Cyber Monday"* (the online selling day following "Black Friday" in-store sales) is a thing of the past.

* People waited until getting to the office on Monday where they had a stronger internet connection than dial-up modems at home.

Definitely a bit slow here too. Too many Skypers?

Someone has been trying to censor certain books at the local library. So.......

https://www.krem.com/article/entertainment/places/inland-northbest/giant-stephen-colbert-book-arrives-in-coeur-d-alene/293-34bed48b-543e-4e1a-b7b4-2735933ff968

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Farnham via Ascot is also via Hounslow these days largely for pathing reasons but also handy as a quicker-than-usual trip home for those living there.  They benefit from a coupld of murning up and evening down fast trains these days.  

Willesden Junction low level bay is used as an emergency turnback from both the Euston and Camden Road directions.  Either to rectify late running or to exchange a unit with one from the depot.  A couple of late-night trains are timetabled to use it but otherwise anything in there is unplanned.  It is also used at times for training and test purposes as an extension to the depot.

Pleased to hear the GOBLIN-go-round went as planned.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

If east meets west, will The Q get keel-awled?

Eephenninawl,

SWMBO is moderately happy with the expensive new dresser / sideboard but the excellent fitters had a bit of shelving / end panelling left over. Unlike our friends from the nearby green isle, they offered it to me "you may want to build a couple of shelves with it" AT NO COST. An internal debate will be had about where such shelves will reside, at what elevation they will be and certainly what will be placed on them. The options will be negotiated will be issued in tomorrow's order to me. After the guys had left site, I headed off to Knebworth and picked up a hand of pork. This is a large cut that seems out of favour with the meat often going instead to make up sausages. That is a real shame as it is very succulent and flavoursome if cooked very gently and does give some excellent crackling by the method I use. I shall be in charge of producing a large salver of around 4Kg of juicy pulled pork and a load of crackling for Saturday. Using SWMBO's car, the journey was a little stressful as the fuel gauge was warning me that the tank was way below empty - I even used a spare can in order to ensure I didn't run out. I wonder who she will get to fill her vehicle when I am pushing up daisies?

It sounds as if some of you have certainly carped your diems, I am about to carpe my noctem in the form of adopting a more horizontal and somnambulant mode, perhaps with a little tincture of uisge to assist in the relaxation process. Pleasant dreams!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I wasn’t sure where a pig’s hand was located but thanks to Google I do now. I suppose hand sounds better than armpit. 

Yes, and thankfully pigs don’t use aluminium compounds and strong fragrances to mask their bodily odours either Tony. I do give the skin a light singeing to ensure no one eating the crackling gets free dental floss. :D

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Helicopeters.. we hired a whirlwind from Bristows to use with a helitele to do simulated flight profiles for a missile seeker head. I had to design and  build the drive boxes for the seeker. My electrics worked fine. The whirlwind shook itself to bits..

Goodnight all!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today’s swimming session was much better than last weeks, as it wasn’t as busy, so I didn’t need to keep dodging people, which made for a more relaxed and easy swim. I eventually ended up swimming 80 lengths in total, so quite a good workout. 

Once home I went for a shower and then it was time for dinner. After dinner I sat and read the latest copy of BRM which dropped on the doormat whilst I was out. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Helicopeters.. we hired a whirlwind from Bristows to use with a helitele to do simulated flight profiles for a missile seeker head. I had to design and  build the drive boxes for the seeker. My electrics worked fine. The whirlwind shook itself to bits..

Goodnight all!

Baz

My first parachute jump from a helicopter was from a Whirlwind, and was a bit difficult for a novice on 5 second delays as there was no slip steam and prop wash to work with. Chinooks were much easier to get out of, although my favourite was the CH53.

Highest helicopter jump was 16000 feet from a Lynx.  It was quite un-nerving watching the altimeter unwinding from 4000 feet into the red and past zero (although we still had about a minute left until it was time to unpack).

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had an excellent pic show from one of the members at the SEERS evening. Some quite interesting unpublished loco pics from the 1930's.

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Its been very slow this evening but that explains it. 

• Like 12

Morning All,

It is another extremely wet morning.  At this point in time it is raining quite heavily, but it is mild for the time of year.

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

The generator was in a dry shed but it had been sitting idle for at least five years. In future I'll only use zero ethanol petrol.

I expect this (https://aspenfuel.co.uk/) or an equivalent is available across the pond.  I use it in my mowers and hedge cutter.  It is more expensive than normal petrol, but has the advantage of not gumming up the carburettor over the winter and it doesn't "go off" like petrol station fuel does.  The added advantage is that the fumes aren't nearly as unpleasant!

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

Only ever had one trip in a helicopter - BA Gatwick to Heathrow. I was happy to get off the thing. Lydd to Le Touquet on a Bristol Freighter was a lot more fun. 

I never flew Lydd to Le Touquet (they ceased operations long before I was born) but I did fly from Gatwick to Heathrow on the Helicopter link.  It was quite an amazing experience which is unlikely to ever be repeated. Shame really - but I can understand that the local residents weren't particularly enamoured by the noise and it was only ever supposed to be until the M25 was finished.

However, the best way to cross the channel will always be the Hovercraft!  Even today, nothing is faster.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17
  • Agree 2