The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Amazingly the generator started! Unfortunately the tank had petrol adulterated with that expletive ethanol and the tank is now a bit rusty. I removed the old fuel and flushed the tank with meths to get the water out.

The tank now has ethanol free petrol in it. I need to get more and add some fuel stabilizer too.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Never was big on TG.  If you weren't raised with the holiday, it doesn't mean so much, so roast beef for dinner tomorrow.  Christmas is more traditional for us, so half a turkey breast with all the trimmings, Brussels sprouts, roast spuds, pud, mince pies and a little libation, followed by very little!:good_mini:

Brian.

I see it falls on a Thursday again. (It was a few years before I realized it's always on a Thursday.)

We have a similar attitude. Not a big deal for us at all although we did get some lamb chops at Costco.

• Like 15
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

We plan to see New York's Thanksgiving Snta Claus parade tomorrow.  We went out this morning to where the ballons are prepared. We were early, so had a tramp and lunch in Central Park. When we returned, we found major street closures and a lineup to tour the balloon inflation. Skipped that, but were allowed to go down one street to get to the subway.  It is still uncertain what the balloons will be allowed to do tomorrow due to gusty winds.

Being Canadian, we had Thanksgiving a month ago -- harvest comes earlier in northern climes.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning one and all

Last night's show and tell evening blended fine examples of m*d*ll*ng with the box of bits that I brought.   One has to have aspirations.  One of my less realistic ones is to find a parking space near the house when I return from an evening out.  Will someone go to work early and make room for me?

Later this morning - well, not that much later - I must stride purposefully to the station, possibly via 'Spoons for breakfast.  I am bound for East London and a gathering of Brains Trusters.  I am flattered to have been invited and will sport an appropriate T shirt.  If I get back home in time I am spoilt for choice, between a concert of klezmer music and the monthly LGBT group meeting, to which we are asked to bring something to share.  This time it's bonfire food, whatever that is. 

If there is no movement on my winter fuel payment, I have looked up the helpline number.  I will not be afraid to use it.

Best wishes to all, especially Brainstrusters

Chris 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Morning All,

We have another rather mild morning in this part of the world.  There was some quite heavy rain overnight, and we still have occasional showers.  Not a nice day to be outside!

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Amazingly the generator started! Unfortunately the tank had petrol adulterated with that expletive ethanol and the tank is now a bit rusty. I removed the old fuel and flushed the tank with meths to get the water out.

Interesting that Ethanol made the tank go rusty, Andy.  I haven't heard of that before.  Is that because it attracts water or is it a variation on the diesel bug?

I've heard about this from the boating community.  With the increased amount of bio-fuels being used, various microbes of fungi and algae will start to grow at the interface between diesel and any condesation or water (which is almost inevitable in a diesel tank - particularly on a boat).

Obviously, this won't be a problem if the diesel is burnt quickly enough, but it can become a problem if the diesel is left for longer periods.  There are now additives to kill the diesel bug before it can clog filters and cause damage (including corroding tanks and engines).

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

If anyone remembers the early-ish IBM laser printers they occasionally, inexplicably, missed pages, which led to manuals have "This page intentionally left blank" on appropriate pages.

If the printer missed a page how did "This page intentionally left blank" get printed on it?    ;-)   

Certainly in the world of IBM pages were left blank so that manuals could be put together in sections in 3-hole ring binders and later updated (all too frequently).

Cheers

Dave formerly of the blue suit

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 15