The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is yours a local cable provider or a large national company? I don't experience issues using WiFi and HD television at the same time.

I did have signal integrity issues with the slave video decoder in my bedroom - now fixed. My interpretation was that my newly built wiring was so clean that termination reflections were not attenuated, creating noise on the line. 

It's Spectrum.

The problem might be caused by cross-talk in the rather long coax between the house and the repeater. If that's the problem the easy solution is to put a splitter up the pole behind the house and run another cable to separate the data from the digital video.

Or, it could just be their modem. I suspect they'll try changing that first.

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

... comments I saw on another forum before you went to Warley ...

Life's too short for this sort of fixation.

Next these people will want models hired to staff the trade stalls. (I don't know how much this is done in these enlightened times, it is considered bad form in tech circles I am familiar with, but I do remember the Consumer Electronics Show of old.  I imagine it is still de rigeur at auto shows.)

Matchy outfits can backfire. One year my company had a booth dress code comprised of black slacks and a brown logo shirt. I remember a competitor making a reference to the Sturmabteilung.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I remember a competitor making a reference to the Sturmabteilung.

They look good with the red hats. Sadly, quite popular around here. But this is one of the fastest growing states and the demographics are changing rapidly. Could be interesting.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

He took it to school. Whether it included a list of ingredients, I know not. He has a niece who is a teacher at a secondary school and she said "I can tell you as a teacher that cake is the best thing you can bring to school!" Whether that is because the teaching staff confiscate it or because it is shared amongst the class, she didn't say. My daughter is not expecting him to return home with any for the family. :imsohappy:

As for flat earth, don't railways go up hills and down dales, giving a killer blow to the "flat earth fraternity"? I mean, even railway modellers (no matter how unkempt) include inclines, tunnels and hills on their layouts. (Apologies to The Great Awl, I didn't start it!).

they are just ripples on the surface, haven't you seen the bulges on a pancake?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

they are just ripples on the surface, haven't you seen the bulges on a pancake?

We favour crepes, remarkably level bits of batter. Pancakes with bulges defile the art of pastry / confectionary. Imagine trying to run a railway service through hills of soggy batter!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

We favour crepes, remarkably level bits of batter. Pancakes with bulges defile the art of pastry / confectionary. Imagine trying to run a railway service through hills of soggy batter!

I think they have, Sonning cutting collapsed in it's early days,  many tunnels did and you have to ask Stephenson about crossing Chat Moss.. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I remember the car shows from the 70's when the models were scantily dressed, thats if they were dressed at all. Though at a model railway exhibition today that would probably cause quite a few heart attacks.:jester:

Mind you if it was the same models......

• Funny 13

Greetings all from LBG where it is now raining again. It obviously rained a lot in Sidcup last night but not while I was at the pub nor the curry house and thus I slept through it all...

Not a lot to report from here so best wishes to those who are struggling in one way or another.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 81C said:

Slapped #rse arrived this morning and screamed I'm talking to you I carried on and ignored her I didn't have my aids in the lug'oles I

got up she was still babbling away I said "I'll just go and pop the aids in so I can hear you" It was like an H bomb going off I came back and she said

did you hear anything I said since I have been here hold on I said I'll just turn these damn things on "what was that".

Just to rub salt in the wound I showed her an error she had made on the form she submitted to the divorce court  and she blamed me. :rofl:   

You have Style, Sir...:good:

14 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One of Aditi’s former colleagues is on maternity leave so we will be going for lunch and to admire the new baby.

With any luck the former colleague's hubby will have a workshop you can admire instead...

6 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

I need another box of tissues.  The sad tale, and the cries, of Lewis the koala really got to me yesterday and I can’t begin to imagine what his brave rescuer, Toni Doherty, must be feeling.  Over 350 koalas perished in the fire, which also pretty much took out their habitat, and at the end of the day an endangered species is that much more endangered.  Next time there is a bush fire, and it will come, there may well be other acts of heroism, but none quite like this one.  RIP Lewis.

BBC News are reporting that a Volunteer Firefighter in Oz has been arrested on suspicion of starting fires.... :angry:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1