The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

All the appointed tasks were carried out,  One 25 kg Sack (when filled with spuds) filled with scrap timber and brought in,  another is filled and sitting in the marquee. There is a pile of larger bits that need cutting up. 

Before I could get the PSU, brown eyes wanted out,  Ben I hate loud noises collie was not happy with the pheasant massacre going on.  So I took him to the beach, walking into the strong wind to start with when we got to a rock sea defence,  there was a pair of seals hiding from the waves.  One beached itself just 20ft away. But  Ben the I hate water collie wasn't going anywhere near them.. 

The choice of starting into the wind was good,  the wind  assistance on return was much appreciated by my calves. 

The PSU is sitting on the table next to me,  I've ordered a small enclosure to make it safe, before I power it up. I may well assemble everything at the MRC next week. 

Many thoughts about toolboxes  have been rattling around my empty skull,  I find the normal toolbox of two swing out trays and particularly the space beneath  unsatisfactory.  I think a stack of thin drawers with foam inserts to hold everything in place would be better. I have found one I like the look of,  but at £87 I'm going to have a couple of days consideration before committing to it. 

A separate taller box would be required to carry glues etc. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Anyone would struggle to keep the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road open with a bulldozer and we don't get the winters like we used to, it's a nice road though past the Lecht.

And just a little further down that road, towards Ballater, is the last resting place of R.V. Jones. A peaceful spot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, AndyB said:

And just a little further down that road, towards Ballater, is the last resting place of R.V. Jones. A peaceful spot.

Which is under 60 miles , from where Sir Robert Watson Watt is buried, in Pitlochry, he died in Raigmore hospital in 1973, Just a few hundred yards away from where I lived at the time( when at school).  Though not connected I became a radar technician who models railways.  Raigmore hospital being on the site of Raigmore house,  in which IIRC lived a director of Highland Railways  which I model... I will want to model. A Raigmore class loco. 

Other coincidences I've lived in Bletchley park where RV Jones worked for a time, and have contact with NPL which Sir R Watson Watt did. 

I remember the first place closed is always Drumochter pass. Though I've followed the snow blower from Dunblaine to Oban,  first car through in 3 days.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The current plan which will put in a very nice reverse curve.  All I need is a damned long shed................................... Ah now where is that Hunt fellow.... He has one!

I know someone with a long shed. Just one problem, engines must be red or black.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Chris, for an ignorant foreigner, what is a "winter fuel allowance payment"?

In the absence of the deli counter, do they not offer pre-packaged sliced meats in a refrigerated display case, or is that not something you prefer? (I could understand why.)

Most US supermarkets offer both a deli counter and a deli display case with pre-sliced meats.

Those in the UK get all sorts of bennies that the US wouldn't even dream about.  In some respects, we are fortunate to get what we do although we usually pay for them somehow, so it would seem.  Insurance for everything!:fie:

Brian.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Evening all, all rugby'd out now, 4 times 80 minutes is a lot even for me, nice to see the Tiger Cubs squeeze out a victory in Caaaaaaaaaardif.

G'night all

Tiger Cubs,  single cylinder 199cc 4-stroke motor cycles from the Triumph stable built in various forms from 1954 to 1968. They were lively little jobs with a particularly crisp exhaust note and was ideal as a learner's bike (when we could go up to 250cc on L-plates) and they would top 70mph in the days when we didn't wear helmets. They were much more reliable than 23 men attached to Welford Road!

PS - snuck home and enjoying some Tomatin 12-y-o.

Edited by Kingzance
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

You mean one of these? I believe it was an Ex Gordon Farley Works Bike originally.

Pics from my Photo album.

IMG_0218.JPG.028915daf9b168f9d8c6d725a1c92a77.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG.1fa42c9f925554adadac900248cfcce4.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG.2f3216e0ae00d2abc73cc4c50884f322.JPG

Yep! Mine even had the front number plate to be read from either side :).

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had a much better day today than I’ve had over the last couple of days. The modifications to the test panel have all been a success and I was finally able to test the point control circuit. But once I’d finished in the workshop and before I got out of my ‘work clothes’ I was asked to empty the vacuum cleaner, a bit of a mucky task but one that needed doing. I also rinsed out the cleanable filter and that then went in the washing machine, along with the work clothes I’d been wearing. I then turned my attention to testing the point control circuit I’d designed, although to be fair, it’s really a collection of different circuits all brought together to enable me to operate a point solenoid, change the polarity of the point frog and switch rails as well as send signal back giving the point position, all using a single toggle switch. I’d proved that the circuit worked in theory using some simulation software, but I wanted to see it work for real. So I set up my ‘breadboard’ and using some wire links, a couple of diodes, a capacitor and a small relay I managed to get it working successfully, resulting in one big happy bunny. In my initial trials, I’ve used a 2 pole relay, but the real thing will use either a 3 or 4 pole relay.

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to meet up with some ERs today at Warley.

A negative xomment on the Warley Show thread tipped mo over the edge.. whinge and moan....Pah!!!

Now for some eyelid inspection..

Night all!!

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had a much better day today than I’ve had over the last couple of days. The modifications to the test panel have all been a success and I was finally able to test the point control circuit. But once I’d finished in the workshop and before I got out of my ‘work clothes’ I was asked to empty the vacuum cleaner, a bit of a mucky task but one that needed doing. I also rinsed out the cleanable filter and that then went in the washing machine, along with the work clothes I’d been wearing. I then turned my attention to testing the point control circuit I’d designed, although to be fair, it’s really a collection of different circuits all brought together to enable me to operate a point solenoid, change the polarity of the point frog and switch rails as well as send signal back giving the point position, all using a single toggle switch. I’d proved that the circuit worked in theory using some simulation software, but I wanted to see it work for real. So I set up my ‘breadboard’ and using some wire links, a couple of diodes, a capacitor and a small relay I managed to get it working successfully, resulting in one big happy bunny. In my initial trials, I’ve used a 2 pole relay, but the real thing will use either a 3 or 4 pole relay.

Goodnight all 

This sounds very like the circuitry on the layout I inherited,  5v comes from the dpdt switch on the control panel the other pole being used for led indication on the panel.  

The 5V switched a relay, which caused the 12V direct current from the capacitor to fire the solenoid,  and switched the polarity  at the same time. 

The original builder assembled two of these circuits onto a piece of veroboard about an inch and a half wide and 4 inches long. There were around 20 of these boards mounted on the underside of the layout. 

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

About 7 hours sleep not too bad,  I've woken with backache again for no particular good reason. 

I'm going to lie here straightening my back,  until summoned by brown eyes. 

Later plans,  are to start work on the boat again,  which IIRC the next thing was to trim some excess wood from the bottom of the cockpit combing, as part of my efforts to reduce weight. I'll have to measure the excess at various places to work out a single amount to remove,  then pencil it out with curves down to the framing joins to retain strength. Only then will the jigsaw be deployed. 

Time to... Get bored by politics on TV.. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Off to the Warley show shortly, hope to meet up with a few ER's. I am easily recognisable, long white beard and pushing a red wheeler with a yellow cool bag attached.

The white beard is probably quite common!!! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Tiger Cubs,  single cylinder 199cc 4-stroke motor cycles from the Triumph stable built in various forms from 1954 to 1968. They were lively little jobs with a particularly crisp exhaust note and was ideal as a learner's bike (when we could go up to 250cc on L-plates) and they would top 70mph in the days when we didn't wear helmets. They were much more reliable than 23 men attached to Welford Road!

PS - snuck home and enjoying some Tomatin 12-y-o.

And here was little ol me thinking that Tiger Cubs were single decker buses made by Leyland. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1