The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Shopping has been shopped - by herself in M&S in Reading by providing extra time in her trip over there to see Livingstone, and by the pair of us in Tesco locally.   some of it was consumed for dinner this evening so that was all well too.  His ladship is due home c.22.30 assuming his flight from Vienna continues on its punctual course (it has, it has just landed) and the booked taxi is at LHR waiting for him.  I shall be adding to the travel tomorrow as I grid my lions and set forth for the NEC where I shall no doubt come across various other members of this august place.   I shall - assuming it doesn't fall apart - be wearing my RMweb badge to give those who don't recognise me a chance to hide as I approach.  I have a couple of appointments one of which is critical to certain things taking place next week but I hope to be upstairs at the appointed bar at 13.00 all being well.

Enjoy the rest of your day/evening and may the recovering continue to progress..

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Eating that early meant that I have recently cut into a loaf (in best Blue Peter style) that I baked earlier and it was really nice when paired with a bit of blue cheese from The Isle of Wight Cheese Company and a couple of measures of malt from the Tomintoul Distillery - that place made famous by the late Terry Wogan and his follower (Mrs Mary McKay?) who he would have you believe single-handedly kept the road clear in the depths of winter. This bottle was a birthday gift from earlier in the year and is much appreciated but is almost exhausted now, particularly as I enjoy it "straight, no chaser" in the words of Thelonius Monk. I wonder what I will open next?

Anyone would struggle to keep the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road open with a bulldozer and we don't get the winters like we used to, it's a nice road though past the Lecht.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

A bit windy out there and not to cold. 

I have to cut 100 20mm pieces of 0.6mm copper wire , fence posts 2mm scale,  I put that off because I had just creosoted the equivalent of 1000ft of fence. This is just on 1 3x2 board.. There are six of them... 

I really don't envy the navies who put in a fence post about every 5ft across the highland moors. 

I hope you awl enjoy the NEC,  ...one day.. 

Goodnight awl... 

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, pH said:

Can I say, with about 30 years of system maintenance experience, that all the bugs are never worked out of a system of any significant size? All you can say is that the commonly-occuring bugs have been found and corrected, which means that those left are increasingly rarely-occuring, obtuse and (usually) difficult to fix. We actually had a date-related one that we could say with precision had a 1-in-64K chance of happening. And I've seen (and believe) a study that says that, on average, one program instruction in every 10 is incorrect. That doesn't necessarily mean it's serious enough to cause the program to fail immediately but at least, under specific circumstances, it will not do exactly what it was intended to do. (This also means that if, to correct a bug, you have changed or added 10 or more instructions, you have a better than even chance of having introduced another problem!)

I had to come to this realisation to preserve my sanity. (Many of my friends may say I failed in that.) Seeing a list of bugs reported by users growing rather than shrinking as we steadily worked through it was very depressing. It also helped to realise we only heard about the problems - 99% ++ of  things went as intended.

Yup! Everyone knows how ambiguous languages are, so why do we use languages to instruct computers? Answers on a postcard.....

We also use languages to design highly sophisticated integrated circuits, and how many of those are in your average aeroplane, train or automobile? But there's no reason to panic. All we need to do is test everything until we get all the bugs out. Yeah, right!

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yup! Everyone knows how ambiguous languages are, so why do we use languages to instruct computers? Answers on a postcard.....

Because humans aren't very good in ones and zeroes?

I'm reading "Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age" just now, which deals with that kind of thing (amongst others).

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, pH said:

Because humans aren't very good in ones and zeroes?

True, but we are very good at assimilating information from images. It's my personal belief that we took a slightly wrong turn with computer languages, or at least, put too much emphasis on them - but I'm likely to be overruled :)

One example I like to use is  - "Create instructions to build the Forth Bridge using language only and see what you get."  (I know that's a bit unfair but it's an interesting argument.)

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

9 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Winter Fuel Allowance payment

Chris, for an ignorant foreigner, what is a "winter fuel allowance payment"?

9 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Since my local Tesco closed its deli counter I have not been able to buy ham, spam or anything else by the slice to make my own sarnies.

In the absence of the deli counter, do they not offer pre-packaged sliced meats in a refrigerated display case, or is that not something you prefer? (I could understand why.)

Most US supermarkets offer both a deli counter and a deli display case with pre-sliced meats.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Winter fuel allowance introduced in 1997 ,meant to help the poor pensioners heat their homes in the winter. However just about everyone gets it if old enough. Roughly £200 per house hold if born before Apr 1954, £300 if born before Apr 1939. (Date leaps forward by a year each April) .

Since it introduced various governments have thought of getting rid of it by just incorporating it into normal state pensions or removing it from the well off.  Either way they have always chickened out. So it's just been left to wither and hasn' t gone up in value. 

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare,  a good nights sleep has been had I may try for more. 

It's windy out there that I can hear,  but I won't venture out till a pair of big brown eyes appears. 

Plans for today,  clear up the marquee ready for work,  put the motorbike on charge.  Do any requests from SWMBo. 

Time to.. Roll over.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We continue to have delightful, late Autumn weather. Clear skies mean low overnight temperatures, but we been seeing sunny days and highs around 12°C. Small rainfall accumulations are forecast for Sunday with mountain snow. Snow levels in the mountains will drop low enough to impact travel over the mountain passes for the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday.

Here in the valley we don't expect any snow in the near future and not a lot of rain either.

• Like 16

Morning all, hope all are well? if not sympathies and best wishes as appropriate.

Off to Warley in a bit for a busy day 1 of the weekend on the DEMU stand.

Some better sleep would have helped matters, but plenty of tea will be consumed to compensate!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and Happy Warley Day(s) to those attending.

Still dark and an overcast day with outbreaks of rain forecast.

My notification of the WFA arrived on Monday which is later than usual but the payment was in my bank on Tuesday which is about normal as I always get it the week before my birthday. The Boss usually gets hers a week or two later. This year it will be used to pay for the new motorised valve, which I still haven't had a bill for.  I will send him a reminder next week. 

Last night I watched quite a good rugby match (Ulster v Clermont) and this afternoon I suspect I shall find more to watch.

First task today is to visit the charity shop to dispose of 3 boxes of unwanted but good stuff. Just hope I can park outside.

After that there will be more stuff shifting and loft visiting. The pile for the dump is growing.

Have a good one,

R.E.Cycler.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a dry (for the moment) Charente.   Much was achie yesterday.  7 barrowfulls of logs were cut and stacked in the hallway so that Beth will have enough while I'm away.  The garden looks a lot tidier and I even got some admin done.   Beth is continuing to improve and we managed the important  task of walking to the baguette machine and back. She is also using sticks rather than crutches as her right foot gets used to being used again.  

In the afternoon  the Dr came to check up on her.  Yes, here we get home visits both by the Physio and the Dr.  

Various tasks for today and then a real treat, stew and dumplings for tea with a friend coming. I'm doing the stew and Beth the dumplings.

Those of you attending Warley I hope that you are not too frazzled. Rick, I hope that yesterday's  incident has not left any permanent  scars.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Mawningawl,

Dull, further dampness overnight (external only :mocking_mini:) and dawn chorus included chippies on nearby building site. Muggertea has been downed, fast breaking is underway and then load the car with hammers, chisels, saws, drills, wall plugs, screws, nails and nomorenails to complete the wardrobe challenge. The Rose of the Waits will have to wait a little longer.

Best to the Warley battalion, stay calm and think of Railway modelling. Under those specific circumstances, I do hope I am excused any wrath from the Keeper of The Awl. Were you intending to go but can’t for reasons of health, I hope you recover as there’s always mañana or nextyeara. Whatever you are up to, enjoy.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Brown eyes demanded out,  it's evil out there, windy and horizontal rain.  Ben the I don't like the dark collie loved it, it was day light. Puddles are maximum size.  

When I came back in with a bag of coal, the fire was wound up.. 

I got severe cramp in my left calf, while putting my boots on to go out, for the third time in 2 days,  this with pulling something in my right calf is odd.. Just what's going wrong.. 

Just thought of another task, head to the shed and extract a 5 v PSU from the old 12 PSU supply box originally fitted to the layout by the original builder. Then wire up a connector to try the servo tester combination. 

Time for Muggacoffee 2 then overalls on and into battle. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14