The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting prepared for Warley, I've got a note of the stands where ER's are to be found. I will be there Sunday, not sure of what time I will arrive but unless theres a hold up it should be before 11. Be back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

For those planning a train ride to the NEC this weekend take note that West Midlands  and London Northwestern are having a little bit of a labour problem on Saturday and will be operating a reduced service (quite what the services will be reduced to is not stated) which could lead to overcrowding on other trains.  It was bad enough last year at International in the afternoon with the local lot actually running something and no doubt as ever the world and his wife will use XC trains between Brum and Coventry/Leamington.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

9 hours ago, 81C said:

I walked the mad dog this morning he's now wears a muzzle which he spent all his time today trying to get it off there is now a slot in the footpath where he gets walked he's trying to scrap it off his head at least I don't have to wrestle with him to get the thing on he knows the walk won't happen without it in place, he's is increased in weight he's like a tow truck my daughter won't have a choke collar on him so you just get pulled around I think training has gone out the window with him

It sounds like you have a very alpha dog there.

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

... Full chest harnesses are a much better option than a choke chain as you can lift the dog's rear legs off the floor and they then lose all traction.  If the training by the family has stopped because it's too much bother or they haven't time (which is often the case), then my advice, ... is to  move the dog pdq to someone who can spare the time and effort to train it properly.

At around 6 months old the dog should be walking to heel, sitting, laying down, staying and coming back when called.  To that basic list I'd also add leaving things when told and not jumping up to greet people.

If your daughter lets him carry on as he seems to be progressing, the next thing will be destructive behaviour, and possible aggression when told off! (He's already having to use a muzzle)

That's good advice Richard.

7 hours ago, 81C said:

HH the dog has had full chest harnesses he grows out of them monthly and I agree with you about the lack of continuous training he has got to the point with me where I'm not interested any more, the SiL know it all I find his lack of skill with large dogs leave a lot to be desired the annoy thing about it all those things you have listed he was doing at 4 months and he had stopped jumping up which he did today I'm agog he's going backwards.

As you can see the cardboard shredded in the back ground, he ripped apart a rope toy this morning it's a shame he is a clever and intelligent animal he can open those child guards I find him stretched out on the sofa when I get there, both his parents are twice his size I do wonder what they will do with him in a few months time.

Long ago the family had a Labrador Retriever. She was the dunce of her obedience class and could be very stubborn when on leash, even with a choke chain. The anatomy of Labs renders choke chains somewhat ineffective. They really don't have a pronounced neck. Nevertheless we did manage to get the "jumpy" out of her. She did have a very sweet disposition and, except when she wanted to do a runner, was generally very accommodating. She could be bribed with bananas when she would get a wild hair.

My brother-in-law had a pair of German Shepherds / Alsatians. The choke collars he used were spiked on the inside. They were very aggressive dogs and needed constant 'dominance' reminders that they were not the alphas in the family unit. Personally, I would never want to own / train one.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Where will you be at Warley? I'd like to talk to you about that, that's if I ever rid myself of this man flu which seems to be turning into a general malaise which in turn is not doing mi mental health any good.

Sorry for moaning folks. Hope all's well in your worlds and if it's not then I hope it changes soon.

Goodnight.

I am doing DCC decoder demo on stand A83 and will have my 33 with me.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

Morning All,

The temperature is only around 1°C this morning, and there was a reasonably heavy frost.

There isn't a lot else to report - so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

Very soggy here and more is expected. Yesterday has been and is not once more - referring to better carpenters than those employed on the nearby building site - and nothing much to report from it. Lunch out ok but the fish pie was somewhat wet and low on flavour, probably due to the inclusion of frozen hake. SWMBO visited the village hall to watch the pantomime (a case of getting your retaliation in earlier than others?) and came back very impressed.

Our builder is expected this morning, some 23 months after we paid him, to arrange to deal with the agreed faults list. I will offer to employ someone else and then send him the bill if further action is not forthcoming. We then are meeting friends at some b****y Christmas junk emporium before eating at another pub. I know how to live - or SWMBO knows how to reduce the kids inheritance.

Best of luck to those involved in Warley in any way and to those attempting to travel there by train tomorrow, best wishes to our sufferers and carers and take a strong grip on the hours between dawn and dusk (plus any powerful dogs).

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We've obviously had some rain over night, as we have some puddles in the garden, but it isn’t raining now and we even had a short spell of sunshine (5 minutes) a few minutes ago. A shopping trip to Asda, the Trafford Centre and the butchers will shortly be on the cards. Sheila will be joining me today as we need to get some birthday cards for Evie and Max, who will be 11 next month! After that there’s nothing planned for the day so a spot of unspecified tinkering may be the order of the day. 

Back later

• Like 19