The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

You've lost.  You just haven't realised it yet....

Nope, I refused to go. Not surprising she didn't go either as it then transpired that the things we'd run out of weren't urgent and would wait until the main weekly 

shopping trip tomorrow!  :banghead:

• Like 19

Good evening!

10 hours ago, Kingzance said:

May I suggest to ChrisF that he investigates flights to Dublin from London Stanstead? It is nearer to him than Gatport Airwick and as It is Mr O’Leary’s main U.K. base now, Dublin should feature regularly on the timetable. I do believe that there is a direct rail connection between Bedford and LGW but that is not available to LST which obviously makes his travelling a little less convenient but the flight will be cheap!

IIRC, ChrisF has already declared his loathing of flight! If a wheels and keel alternative is available, everything is, as far as his travelling personage is concerned, under his control!

For similar reasons, that's why I travel to European destinations by train; it's also, allegedly, more eco-friendly!

8 hours ago, bbishop said:

Been very busy and so remiss with ERs. As a CFR,  I need to know the physiological effects of both carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2).  Haemoglobin carries oxygen around the body but as Peter wrote, CO has a chemical reaction with Haemoglobin and sits on the receptor sites.  So the body cannot take up O2 and death occurs.  My role is to spot the symptoms (including very low sats) and give high flow oxygen.   The body produces CO2 naturally, which needs to be expelled.  In fact the trigger causing most of us to breathe is the expulsion of CO2.  CO2 is not a poison but does not support animal life. The fact that COPD patients have a different trigger means I have to be very careful in prescribing oxygen.  Plants then absorb CO2 and release O2, thus there is a cycle of life. 

And so to the future of the earth.  I think there are cycles.  Cut down the rain forests and there will be a build up of CO2.  So animal life will die off, plants will grow and the cycle will stabilise.  The same with global warming, more water will be vaporised, forming clouds which will reflect the sun's warmth and cool the earth - another cycle.  Flooding, and cities disappearing, and deaths will be just a by product of this cycle.  And if it causes the end of humanity, then frankly my friends "aw, shucks".  Just so long as someone remembers to leave the tablets on top of Mount Arafat.

Off to do some PAT testing.

Bill

CFR, COPD just parted what little hair I have left as they went straight over my head!

However, the Earth is cycling, as the ice records prove. It heats up; it cools down. I have no comprehension of how such homeopathic levels of a naturally produced gas (CO2) have the dramatised effect publicised! If global warming is a new effect, causing icebergs to break from the ice flows, the Titanic might still be afloat.

I suspect that much of the awareness of flooding comes from the fact that civilisation seems to be building more and more on flood plains.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHrmFPbVMEIAbUdP5BT9J

Water is one of the original recyclables, so why do we need to conserve it? We just need to respect it and distribute it properly.

Apologies; rant over!

Bill, hope the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) testing certification went well!

Edited by JohnDMJ
Unicorns have unknown behaviour! They are not documented!
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.  

All this talk of cars with V8's and V10's - to much weight to drag around, this is what you need.

Allen Millyard is the man, I have met him several times, he makes.....unusual bikes.  And makes them well. I give you, the Viper powered motorcycle.

Millyard-Viper-V10-1.jpg.df9ef5051eb0285c4da09418a60225c6.jpg

I like the colour. However I sold my motorbike the day I passed my car test. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

It's not Allen's only 5 litre bike - he also made this, using two cylinders off a radial aero engine.  He even made the carbs....

Flying-Millyard-07.jpg.bea27f84729d59221224de29c383f5c7.jpg

Steering that would be something of a challenge Neil!

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

. Already on it was a British car that got caught in the recent floods in Spain. It had water marks at least half way up the doors. Obvioualy not amphibious.

John Colby commented recently about a certain make of car that appeared to be stranded in floods. I looked up the wading depth for that vehicle and it appeared to be 20cm. Halfway up the doors is quite deep! I have been getting a lot of Land Rover Defender ads this week. Coping with 90cm water seems to be a point being made in the advert. I don’t see myself trading in my car for one though. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit busy at the club this evening, refurbishment is still in progress, laminate floors are being laid and then workbenches will be installed. Had a look at some mobile phones today, looking for one with a camera so that I can take a few pics at Warley. I will also be taking some pics of the £10 layout and recording the progress, its already penciled in for a show next year.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

...snip...

And one of the front

I’m seriously thinking of putting LED’s below the switches to indicate when they are on.

Goodnight all

A good idea. And a master "ON" indicator, also.

• Agree 14