The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I looked at some of the performance figures for large engined US cars and wondered why a smaller engine + turbo charger(s) isn’t the choice for things like the Mustang or Charger?  Is it just tradition or some engineering reason?

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:
  1. Carriage return
  2. Line feed

I worked on a patent with a guy using MS Word. He was "old school" (NY lawyer - first name Carl, not Rudy) and insisted on putting a hard "return" at the end of each line, and two at the end of every paragraph. Drove me nuts! In my revisions I would strip them all out but when it came back from him they were all back in.

Eventually I just gave up.

Those who are familiar with digital logic will know that a "NAND" gate can also be drawn as a "OR" gate with inverted inputs. This is useful for communicating the logical intention rather than the strict Boolean algebra in schematics. It's much simpler to understand what's going on when they are drawn that way. Unfortunately some engineers just refuse to use that convention!

Again, I just had to give up.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I looked at some of the performance figures for large engined US cars and wondered why a smaller engine + turbo charger(s) isn’t the choice for things like the Mustang or Charger?  Is it just tradition or some engineering reason?

Probably a lot to do with tradition - "my displacement is bigger than your displacement". You can get just as much BHP with a smaller engine and pre-compression. The main objection to the turbo is the lag which limits the maximum torque while the turbo spins up to speed. Big engines turn on the torque faster and that improves acceleration.

But some of the full size trucks are now using V-6 engines which were always V-8s in the past.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

Older American cars were designed to go down straight roads, with leaf springs from trucks for suspension, they didn't need light weight refined engines, only now with fuel not so cheaply available has the American industry decided to go "European" and bring their designs into the 21st century. Those huge lumps of an engine were good when brought over to blighty and sorted out, the 3.5l V8 engine that Rover had and later went into TVR's was great engine, ditto the V10 out of the Dodge Viper which with the weight dramatically reduced put in the Bristol Fighter was then apparently restricted to 250 miles an hour as they reckoned that was fast enough for anybody!!

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There's probably a good reason for this but I don't know why there isn't an engine that reverses the roles of the piston bit and the turbine bit. The piston bit might only feed hot gas to the the turbine bit which would drive an alternator. The transmission would be all electric with batteries to store energy.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

There's probably a good reason for this but I don't know why there isn't an engine that reverses the roles of the piston bit and the turbine bit. The piston bit might only feed hot gas to the the turbine bit which would drive an alternator. The transmission would be all electric with batteries to store energy.

My Dad once mentioned the gas turbine car being developed at Rover where he worked. I don’t remember much of what he said but I think stopping it may have been an issue. Modern brakes are better I suppose. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good evenig at the Seers track night, both my recent purchases ran perfectly.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Mere babies. It's the one a bit to my right (under Jellystone) we need to worry about. Fortunately the prevailing winds come from the West.

Yogi Bear must be worried though.:jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Parts are still in use a walkway/cycle paths/fishing piers and they are in the process of restoring a large part (about 2 miles?) of the former railway bridge that became the Overseas Highway, that runs to Pigeon Key - this is part of the Seven Mile Bridge -  as a walkway. The ex-railway Seven Mile Bridge was used in Arnie's "True Lies" - but the continuity is incorrect - the chase is southbound in the movie, but the vehicles are supposed to be travelling north.

Pigeon Key is visible on the left (we are travelling north)

key1.jpg.07d09d7d8e78e1ebdcf877ab10669efb.jpg

Pigeon Key - southbound a couple of days earlier.

key2.jpg.39acd0abbd7d4ffb7c047a365f0af58a.jpg

The "Overseas Railway" was built by Henry Flagler for the Florida East Coast Railway and later converted to a road - the Overseas Highway - when large parts of it were damaged in a hurricane in the 1930s. For the most part, the road was simply laid on the trackbed across the various bridges, but in the case of Bahia-Honda Key bridge, the road deck was built on top of the truss structure. I bet that was interesting in windy conditions!

key3.jpg.da1f173c5ebe9be2b24b5ae12c11a569.jpg

key4.jpg.54dbd1c2eb9fd0c999149384fba13658.jpg

Most of the route - US#1 - now uses new bridges that were built in the late 70s/early 80s

Yes its a fantastic journey. Been there a few times and well worth doing even if only to see 7 mile bridge but there were also a few brewpubs in Key West that added to the appeal for us.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hagar the Horrible, Q - one of my favourite cartoon strips.  Snert the dog, great name. 

The cartoonist of Hagar was a model railroader. And looked a bit like Hagar.

• Informative/Useful 16

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good evenig at the Seers track night, both my recent purchases ran perfectly.

Yogi Bear must be worried though.:jester:

I was never quite sure who came first - Yogi Bear or Yogi Berra. Turns out Berra tried to sue Hanna-Barbera for defamation of character. I suppose he wasn't too impressed at being only smarter than average.

• Funny 19