The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

For all the arguments about the planet, my opinion is that the historical correlation between global average temperature, carbon dioxide levels and population is so close and strong as to be undeniable. Given the planet has limited physical resources, it clearly cannot cope with a rapidly expanding population, particularly one in which so many citizens believe that everyone else is the problem, we are all to blame. More babies are surviving as are more elderly people and the “load” of supporting them falls onto a smaller proportion of the global population.

May I quote that (with attribution) in my lectures?

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

May I quote that (with attribution) in my lectures?

John, please feel free. I fear that those of a more educated persuasion may believe it is the fault of those who have not been so lucky of course....

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

John, please feel free. I fear that those of a more educated persuasion may believe it is the fault of those who have not been so lucky of course....

Thank you - its value is that it is a quote - not something I've concocted.

I could even take your original, use it as an essay question and add the word "Discuss." :)

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

We too have had the yellow fog warning for tomorrow morning. Perhaps I will wake up late and miss it. I haven’t heard fog horns locally for quite some time. The ones on Queen Mary 2 were rather loud if you were out on deck. 
Never had a tv licence problem but my parents had a problem with a gas bill they ignored. It was for £0. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

8 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Ian A - my other half would love to have a Charger but not at the cost it would be to have one shipped and maintained over here. Was nice driving one a few years ago as a free rental upgrade

They are nice, plenty of giddyup - great for swiftly passing the morons other commuters I encounter on Long Island parkways/hwys.

There were also a couple of really nice Ford Mustang convertibles available also, but I decided that was a waste as this week the weather is forecast to be carp, certainly not convertible weather <sigh>

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Debs. said:

Are many other colours of low-lying cloud, available? :scratchhead:

Orange and red. Only red sky has a rhyme though. “Red sky at night , Basildon street light” is appropriate for our western sky...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

Indeed they certainly could work to some extent. I happen to know this because I worked on some stuff that I can't go into about "hardening" VDUs to prevent nefarious actors reading screen information by RF means.

Yes, all those "tempest"-rated two up, two downs would foil the detector vans. ;)

Actually that makes me wonder whether there were official procedures for clandestine facilities like safe houses. Presumably they had good RF shielding anyway - though perhaps not in the early days.

I wonder how many times TV detector vans were used as a plot device for the many cloak and dagger TV shows of the 60s and 70s? It seems like a natural fit. Too close to home perhaps, or have all the 'stake out vans' in contemporary police procedurals made me try to project backwards? The Wikipedia page only mentions the cat detector van in the Monty Python "Fish License" sketch and an episode of The Young Ones.

I wonder if they were more effective in the days before television sets became ubiquitous and the combination of poor shielding and the challenge of isolating an individual unit was less difficult.  I note the Wikipedia page says they were demonstrated in 1952. I remember multiple documentaries correlating the rise in purchases of TVs with HM's coronation in 1953.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

You'd be surprised at some of the lengths that people would go to to avoid the detector van. My favourite was an igloo of chicken wire and aluminium foil. It did work but only one or two people could watch the TV at one time. His biggest problem though was a reaction between the chicken wire and the foil which disintegrated into a powder which once it got into the set started burning. Result one burning TV having to be removed from the house rather rapidly before the whole house went up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

how to arrive unannounced at remote signal boxes.

You could only do that once.  Maybe.  There was a trick known to signalmen and those among us who were invited into various 'boxes by the "Bobby" on occasions.  A discreet lifting of the box-to-box phone six times would produce six clicks at the receiving end.  Had six bells been sent on the block instrument the bobby might have been working his last shift and on a serious charge given that no obstruction nor danger existed.  But six clicks on the phone was understood to mean - as the local Cornish boys would say - "Specked az bowt" :O  At which point anyone without reasonable business in the box would be hastily ushered out and told to "Go that way".  In the opposite direction to potentially prying eyes.

Evening all.  I have benefitted from an insertion of pumpkin gnocchi in an olive-rich pasta sauce laced with chopped spare goose asparagus.  Washed down with a very respectable glass of Red Laughing Water.  SWMBO baked apple cake for yesterday's afternoon tea and we finished this with clotted cream for dessert.  It doesn't solve the problems of small trains not behaving but it does make one feel better from the inside out.  

Conversation has been had with Former Neighbour (Upstairs) who is finding the transition from study to career more challenging than she expected, though not more than I had suggested would be the case.  We are overdue for a chat over dinner but she is very short on time.  It will happen.  Eventually.  

• Like 19

Evening all.  It has been a bitterly cold day here today, although it was sunny all day.  I have just returned from the MRC and it is now -2 degrees outside where we are close to the sea and about -4 inland.  Half way through our MRC meeting, we had a sudden invasion of 6 people all dressed in Hi-Viz.  sadly, it wasn’t an influx of new members, but the Labour Party candidate for Copeland out canvassing with an entourage.  I think that they were so happy to get in out of the cold for a while that they didn’t seem to try too hard to get us to vote for him.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1