The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Good to see Donk.. missed him in Newcastle last week..but you should have brought those far too clean wagon and loco as well.. we could have easily covered it in ink and powders weathering while you visited!

baz:jester:

Got to build the layout first Baz, but I did begin weathering a 16 tonner this afternoon. Have no fear, there will be little that is clean when the job is done!  The 64 will probably be fairly clean as per the photos I have of the railtour loco, but the rest will be minging.

Donk didn't come across to Ambleside, I think he and his mates were having a party back home.  

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Bob there are some ERs who could take on the role of chip fitting with no problemo for a small fee...

Baz

I did my Wickham Trolley before the “how to “ guides appeared.  With hindsight I probably should have paid someone else to take the stress.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

John, after the "Frozen Messiah" performance you attended at 13, I'm surprised that you ever listened to another.

The next one was at the De Montfort Halls in Leicester in 1968, and it was a huge one. I was fortunately to be at Leicester at the same time that David Monrow was on the staff, and he gave lunchtime concerts, lectures and engaged in conversation about early music. I've never been able to hear a chamber performance of this work live. though.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The next one was at the De Montfort Halls in Leicester in 1968, and it was a huge one. I was fortunately to be at Leicester at the same time that David Monrow was on the staff, and he gave lunchtime concerts, lectures and engaged in conversation about early music. I've never been able to hear a chamber performance of this work live. though.

I rather like Handel’s Messiah despite the introduction at school. One lesson of music a week continued even for those of us not taking it as an O level. The music teacher, Mad Fred, used to say (for two years) “Now, Boys, we are going to do something different today”. It wasn’t different, he handed out scores for Messiah, put a record on and told us to follow.  It was best not to be observed to be on the wrong page as Fred had poor control of his saliva and it was not nice to be showered as he ranted. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I went into town this afternoon. The 'Ch*****as Fayre' had been set up and was running but seemed a shadow of itself compared to previous years with only four or five stalls compared to the couple of dozen of a few years ago. Not that it bothers me as I'm of the Bah Humbug! persuasion.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well it’s been quite a productive day today, not only did I manage to do the 2 watch backs for James, but I also built the 6 MERG kits a found on the bench in the workshop. I can only assume that I’d put there with the intention of building them and either gone in for a cuppa, or been distracted by another project. Anyway, I’ve now got quite a large number of completed kits to put ‘away’ until they will be fitted to the l@@@@t, when it’s finally started. 

This evening we we sat down with a glass of red and caught up on some recorded TV. 

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Work was worked - very much was accomplished with a relatively empty (from other employees) workspace.

Hockey was then watched - a great team effort for a 6-2 win over the Billingham Stars.

At the same time, (US College Women's) soccer football was viewed online.

Mountain East Conference Final.

Concord University Mountain Lions 2, Fairmont State Falcons 0.

My niece's team - for the first time in their history - now proceed onto the national tournament.

Go Mountain Lions.,

More work tomorrow - along with the extension to DL after hours.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2019 at 12:25, bbishop said:

I found the following in my e-mail:

'As we couldn't take the latest payment on 11/16/2019 ` Please renew | Remember, if you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your license [Automated Message]

We are sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed. Something's gone wrong with your payments

As we couldn't take the latest payment from your bank account, this amount will also need to be paid when you set up your new Direct Debit.

Setup Direct Debit Now >>

Am I really that stupid?

Off to the garage shortly, to varnish my ass.

Bill

And just what is a "TV LIcense"???

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

And just what is a "TV LIcense"???

The BBC  channels do not have advertsing  unlike other channels. This (in brief) means that in order to pay for the BBC, anyone in the UK who is watching any TV has to have a TV license by law. There are exceptions such as those over 75 but thats a very moot point at the moment as thats due to be withdrawn.

We used to be able to go to the post office to pay for a yearly license but in recent years it has been easier to do it on line and set up a direct debit to pay in monthly instalments.

The idea is that the BBC is unbiased, not affected by those sponsoring the adverts or political bias. Many will say it is politically effected but that just depends on each individuals views depending what they are seeing at the time. The best bit is that there aren't annoying advert breaks except for the BBC's own ones about paying for your TV license!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Commercials are an inevitable part of television watching in the US - even (to a lesser extent) on PBS.

It is interesting to see the progression of what is and is not allowed / shown. Of course, long gone are commercials for tobacco products. So too are the commercials for ED (aka " pill") medications. I watch a lot of sports and the commercials are dominated (in no particular order) by beer (particularly light beer), road vehicles, mobile telephones, mobile telephone providers and insurance.

Unsurprisingly these are all markets where the actual products are largely undifferentiated commodities. Usually the product hardly makes an appearance in these commercials. The four largest insurance advertisers have multiple concurrent campaigns - to avoid people throwing things at their TV sets after seeing the same commercials every six or seven minutes. One company uses a recurring metaphorical character called "mayhem" who is usually responsible in some creative way for damage to automobiles.

Cat fanciers might enjoy this mayhem commercial for home insurance. Or not, one cannot account for taste. To me, the newer ones with Tina Fey are funnier but I know ERs  (along with the internet) have a soft spot for cats.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

The BBC  channels do not have advertsing  unlike other channels. This (in brief) means that in order to pay for the BBC, anyone in the UK who is watching any TV has to have a TV license by law. There are exceptions such as those over 75 but thats a very moot point at the moment as thats due to be withdrawn.

We used to be able to go to the post office to pay for a yearly license but in recent years it has been easier to do it on line and set up a direct debit to pay in monthly instalments.

The idea is that the BBC is unbiased, not affected by those sponsoring the adverts or political bias. Many will say it is politically effected but that just depends on each individuals views depending what they are seeing at the time. The best bit is that there aren't annoying advert breaks except for the BBC's own ones about paying for your TV license!!

And there are (were?) "detector vans", although it's been suggested that they were a load of technical baloney but there is no doubt that when they showed up in an area there was a sudden increase in license revenue.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

Morning All,

It is a pretty revolting morning weather wise.  Damp, and chilly.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

And there are (were?) "detector vans", although it's been suggested that they were a load of technical baloney but there is no doubt that when they showed up in an area there was a sudden increase in license revenue.

They weren't baloney - they did exist and they did work.  However, they did have certain limitations.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The heated towel rail has been commissioned

This is something I wanted for my bathroom but never insisted on - along with radiant floor heating and a fancy shower.

Is the unit wall mounted? (That might seem obvious, but designs attached to the floor are conceivable.) Is the wiring hidden or does it have a plug for a normal electrical receptacle?

• Like 14