The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Back on the old computer as I haven't transfered everything over yet. Had a look again at the £10 layout, it looks as though a rewire is in order. Taking a few things to test it tomorrow after visiting the Thundersley show.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey at the mo but it has been raining. Collecting my new (second hand) computer today and I'll spend part of the weekend setting it up.

Any American 00 on show?

None that I saw.  O, Standard, and a few larger bits.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We went to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular today. It definitely is spectacular.  The fellow that sat beside us is from Burlington -- that's where the nearest IKEA is.

On the return trip, there was a brief delay as the tannoy shouted at someone to get off the side of the subway train.  There followed a loud discussion at the end of our car which may have been related.

The campground have turned off the water for the rest of the year. There is one tap still on. Tomorrow we run after propane, dump tanks and fill with water.

Will not be at Derby.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, pH said:

This is currently being used here in Canada as the soundtrack for a TV commercial for Ford pickup trucks:

https://youtu.be/Gd_Q4KwDKEE

Great song, but a version by a UK band (original was by John Lee Hooker!), and 55 years after it was released?

May I applaud the ad agency?

The "Ford Tough" commercials in the US are not tapped into 60s classics like the Animals.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tomorrow sees the official switch on of the town's Ch*****as lights. In the middle of bl**dy November!

The "accepted" time for this in the US is the Friday after Thanksgiving - Which this year falls on Friday November 29 (unfortunately and historically inappropriately named as "Black Friday" in the retail world).

There is a "news" story today about a homeowners association in Texas unsuccessfully trying to delay a resident's holiday display until the "appropriate" time. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Lots of progress today on my friend's O _________, ____________ today. Tunnel portals were tested for overhang with the MILW Olympian Hiawatha bipolar

A favourite image of mine is the promotional "tug of war" staged by the Milwaukee Road over the Snoqualmie Pass between steam and electric traction.  The MILW began to electrify their mainline in the Rockies in 1914 and the Cascades in 1917.

We will likely resume work on Monday.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring all,  a fairly good nights sleep. Almost 7 hours. 

I must admit I wonder at Chrisf's ability to galavant around the country,  I find travelling extremely tiring these days. Especially when combined with an event. 

I also wish I could sing,  but my attempts would be bettered by Poppy the cat. 

Sadly although I'm interested in the Derby meeting,  it's way to early to commit myself to it.  On 30th 31st May  is the 3 Rivers Race,  to which I am committed. There may be meetings or training  for that. The actual sailing programme and  won't be posted until February and duties in March. 

I hope this ER meeting is successful and will be repeated,  once retired juggling of my time will be easier.. 

I'm being huffed at by Ben the impatient collie.. 

Time to.. Go on patrol. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Did I hear some one mention beer?? Are you in the same hotel as us Baz?

Currently on a very lively riding Satsuma to Grantham. Even the on board crew were commenting on this.

Hopefully it will be in time and make our connection to Nottingham. Now just debating which pub to start beer o'clock.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

Dull and  a lot of standing water again round here. I haven't checked on the nearby water gauges but I believe there could now be many tonnes of water accumulated in the roof-less houses on the building site and the developers will now see that they have built on a field that regularly used to flood but building more homes near London is far more important than planning to avoid long-term environmental issues. Poetntial buyers of these houses would do well to walk around th esite before depositing their hard earned money!

As yet another friend will be overnighting here tomorrow, today will generally be focused on making his stay enjoyable in so far as good food and wine, lashings of gin and plenty of tonic. Shopping will therefore be high on the list of priorities with a haunch of venison to be the centre of the main course. That certainly is not vegetarian! SWMBO will be making a big thing of whatever starters and pudding she deems suitable that haven't been inflicted on offered before to our widowed guest.

We might be expected to shelter some grandkids and maybe a dog during the day. I shall once more be raising the potential of a trip to Derby with The Management shortly. Not a lot else to note, be safe, be good and (where appropriate) get better.

• Like 19